Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:07:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I decide between a ZBOX and a ZSTAGE? (Read 3385 times)
Dan
Verified Member

How do I decide between a ZBOX and a ZSTAGE?
01/07/19 at 17:15:19

My system is a Pioneer PL-530 tt, a Pioneer PD-F407 CD player, a Pioneer SX-205 receiver, original Advent loudspeakers, and a Logitech Squeezebox server.

I've read through the PDFs for each, and am not sure.  

In an ideal world, I'd get  one of the amplifiers, but that's not feasible for me, $-wise.

Any suggestions or assistance are appreciated! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: How do I decide between a ZBOX and a ZSTAGE?
Reply #1 - 01/07/19 at 17:47:45

As you are using a Pioneer source and a Pioneer receiver I don't think you'll really need the gain that a ZSTAGE brings to the system and so I would recommend the ZBOX whose tube and potentiometer should allow you to add some tubed goodness to the sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/19 at 17:52:59

I don't have either but from my experience with other Decware components, you'll want the ZSTAGE since it's a gain stage.  Especially if you're running a TT as the primary source.

I just read Lon's suggestion and he's more knowledgeable than me so ...  FWIW   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/19 at 21:45:59

To me there are important advantages of a Decware gain stage other than volume gain and tube effects. In this case, using a Zstage, increasing its gain pushes its tube circuit harder, while increasing signal voltage going to the amp. This combination modifies the sound in meaningful ways in my system, intensifying the signal density across the spectrum with increased lucidity, and does it relatively transparently.

Having tube amps, I have not worked with solid state amps and Decware gain stages, so can't clearly comment on that. But I am guessing the same theories apply, though perhaps less clearly in cases, Decware being unusually transparent and revealing. Hopefully others who have experience with solid state can clarify this.

This gain adjustability between source and amp is a basis of "gain riding" using Decware gain stages. If you keep your listening volume at a chosen level while turning the amp down and the gain stage up simultaneously, the influence from the gain stage will make your sound bigger, more clear, and more weighty.

Alternately, if you ride the amp gain up, while riding the Zstage gain down, lowering the signal intensity going to the amp, this will lean/open the presentation. This can be done very subtly or more intensely, and to me is very useful for adjusting for different recording qualities. If the recording is lean, you can bolden it up with more Zstage gain. And if the recording is thick and too dark, you can open in up by reducing the Zstage gain proportion.

Though there are other potential advantages with well implemented tube gain stages, for me gain riding is a primary benefit. Not absolutely necessary, but a nice tuning tool.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/07/19 at 22:14:05

Yeah to all that. But. . . when I had a ZBOX and used it between a solid state output source of medium quality and both a solid state and a tube amp I got more "visceral" "improvement" than when I did the same with a ZSTAGE. The gain management the ZBOX did between two components that weren't suffering from gain was very effective, and the sort of compression the ZBOX offered really did perhaps color the sound but did so rather satisfactorily. Thus my recommendation of the ZBOX. I had a much less satisfying experience overall with the ZSTAGE than others.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 01/07/19 at 23:32:29

The ZSTAGE was the first Decware component I bought five years ago.  At the time I was using  my ZSTAGE to feed the wired signal going from an iPod and iPhone to my SS Yamaha receiver. The beauty of the ZSTAGE with low voltage sources does wonders.

I went back-and-forth like yourself between the ZSTAGE and the ZBOX.   I ultimately called Steve and his recommendation was the ZSTAGE for my purpose.  

Fast forward five years to date… I am so glad I went with ZSTAGE.  I am now getting ready to buy the new Teac NT-505 DAC.   Even though it has balanced outputs, I can now hold off a little bit on buying the ZBIT and use my ZSTAGE to feed the signal going from my DAC to my reciever and use the increased gain the ZSTAGE offers.   

In addition....I had also bought a turntable a few years back, and also use the ZSTAGE with the turntable as well.  Once I move to a Decware tube amp (hopefully later this year), the ZSTAGE can feed that.  It just seems that the ZSTAGE is more versatile.  

Excerpt taken from the ZSTAGE OWNERS MANUAL....

Quote:
USING YOUR ZSTAGE
Once you have it hooked up, simply adjust the volume by ear to the desired level. Approximately 1/2 way up is “unity” meaning it is neither adding or subtracting gain. Experiment with what sounds best.

So....if you keep the unit 1/2 way up, you will still get the benefit of the 12AU7 tube’s sound signature, just like you would with the ZBOX, with the added benefit of gain adjustability.

Definitely take Lon and Will’s advice...their input is very detailed and well deserved.   Lon has used both units with solid state, so he will have a good take on your situation.  If you keep going back-and-forth… My recommendation would be to then call Steve.  Hope this helps.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 01/07/19 at 23:40:34

I can definitely see why the ZSTAGE worked with a low gain source such as that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print