04/19/24 at 19:55:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High-end CD players? (Read 3165 times)
Tonnystark
Verified Member

High-end CD players?
01/04/19 at 17:26:00

I can understand the idea of a nicer amp being better or different amps performing/sounding differently, but I don't see what an "audiophile" CD player would bring to the table. It reads a digital signal and passes it to the receiver/DAC. A $20 CD player and a $2000 CD player are going to read the same files off the same CD and both are going to pass them to the receiver just fine. Would anyone be able to explain the appeal of a fancy CD player?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: High-end CD players?
Reply #1 - 01/04/19 at 21:18:35

Well, for me, it is also about the quality build of the component. One is plastic and crappy, and the other is hefty, and made to last. I like that. Now, I realize that on some level, bits is bits, but there is an analogue output involved as well. reliability of playback has been something to note as well. Yes, I have owned more than a few CD players, and in a word, no, I won't try to always understand the difference in sound between them. But if it exist, then so who am I to change that truth with my own opinion? If i had a favorite player from years ago, it was one that had a tube or SS output, you choose. It also had a choice between sampling rate, and FWIW, I nearly always preferred the higher sampling rate.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/04/19 at 23:39:34

well, for me, I kept trying different CD players and, for the most part, they all sounded similar. However, when I got my PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport, it was a revelation in improved sound quality. It has what is called a "digital lens" which takes the "read until right" data bits and buffers them so that they are waiting when the DAC gets ready for them. So, yes, I always doubted that ANY of them could be speed regulated well enough to read the bits exactly right and the PWT verified that my thinking was correct. YMMV!!!

IP Logged
StanleyG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/19 at 03:05:31

Exactly the question on my mind...  My thinking is that I don't think various devices read files better or worse exactly (though read errors are certainly possible and to be avoided), I think it is how the now-read data is handled once it is streaming.  That plus the noise and interference inherent in the whole system as well as the (digital and analog) pathways taken as a whole (when heard); each component in the chain ideally adding the minimum possible.

The question to me is not if but rather which audiophile players (or playback protocols) ultimately sound better (that is, add the least cruft to the possible output and therefore have greater appeal).  So I am curious to hear what other's experiences have been.

I have been aimed lately at server-based playback of cd-quality and better files though I do have a weak spot for the sound of SACD (those discs requiring a player if server-readable DSD versions can't be downloaded or created).

Klipsch Heresy III's
Decware SE84UFO25
Decware ZBIT
Esoteric K-05X
Sonore utraRendu
(soon-to-be optical ethernet)
Roon Nucleus Server
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/05/19 at 14:40:59

There is so much going on in CD players, transports and DACs that 'bits are bits' or 'files are files' just doesn't seem to apply.

When I got to the level of transparency and musicality that good cabling, good power and isolation and Decware components brings I found my sources were lacking. I went through an odyssey of players from Decware, Sony, NAD, Oppo and Denon as both players and transports to DACs from Decware, Peachtree, Oppo and Denon. Like Joe when I got to the PerfectWave Transport and DAC from PS Audio I finally had a source that did my system justice. There IS a benefit from the "digital lens" that PS Audio has incorporated into its transports, phono preamp and DACs. It DOES make a difference with disc playback. I upgraded via PS Audio my PerfectWave Transport to the DirectStream Memory Player and my PerfectWave DAC to the DirectStream DAC  when it became available and my cd playback improved even further, and it also allowed me to transfer my SACDs' DSD layer information directly to the DirectStream DAC and my SACDs sounded better than ever before.

I'm sure I could spend twice as much on MSB or DCS etc. equipment and get further improvement (though I'm not sure how much further the sound could be improved and doubt this would be "cost-effective") but I just can't afford to and I am so very happy with the sound I get now.

So my personal experience is that there ARE differences between high end cd-players and budget cd players and as with all components sound can be system-dependent and personal preferences will certainly influence choices.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 01/05/19 at 17:44:47

Well stated Lon!

Noise and jitter are the kiss of death when it comes to digital audio reproduction of any type, not just CD players/transports.  A manufacturers ability to best address these two demons is what sets one device apart from another.  I too have experienced significant sound improvement going from a well designed player to an excellently designed player.  But as Lon alluded, if your entire system from power, cabling, source components, loudspeakers, etc., is not transparent and revealing enough to demonstrate these changes, then the improvements may not present themselves to be noticed and conclusions therefore made that they make no difference.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print