Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 05:57:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Large speakers on wood floor isolation (Read 3567 times)
rodcad
Verified Member

Large speakers on wood floor isolation
01/04/19 at 16:53:07

I have some large 108# speakers that will be sitting on a wood floor. Speakers have risers on them. Any ideas on a low cost "de-coupler" for them? I live in a house with roommates unfortunately.

Anyone tried the Auralex Gramma?

Thanks!

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Large speakers on wood floor isolation
Reply #1 - 01/04/19 at 17:09:40

Go to your local Dollar store and buy yourself 3 semi hard kid's bouncy balls, cut the balls in half, place 3 halves under each speaker, you now have isolation.
For that price you can afford to play around with different harnesses of balls to optimize.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/19 at 23:35:29

Hey rodcad,

I think I recall Auralex bases having been discussed here...May be folks who know did not see your post. If you are not familiar with the forum, in my experience, better results come from using the little search button under the date of the Decware banner. I would try searching Auralex using "all posts" from the time pulldown menu. This may produce some opinions.

Donnie's idea sounds interesting to me. If your try it, and one ball seems pretty good, but not quite, exploring different balls might get you closer to what you want. If you system/room is highly revealing, I think you will hear the differences from various rubbers, foams, woods, and metals used for feet. Perhaps especially, pliable stuff like foam and many "rubbery" feet can be quite different sounding. Very generally, whether rubber, foam, woods or whatever, I am sure there are exceptions, but softer tends to sound softer/smoother/darker. And harder/denser, being more rigid, tends to a clearer sound. It seems to depend a lot on what vibrations the materials are letting through and what they are mitigating....How complete or not is it at dissipating or absorbing vibrations across the frequency range.

I have found that most every foot sounds different, sometimes quite a lot. The realization...No matter the rhetoric, isolation, damping, and combinations thereof, are not the same...some more transparent, others changing the sound depending on how balanced and effective the materials and design are.

I have brick floors, the brick set in sand. Here spikes helped compared to the plinth on the floor, but were not ideal. They were a little rigid and hard sounding. But this is a hard floor and who knows how the same spikes would work on wood or carpet.

Herbie's Small Gliders (mine were adhesive/not screw in) were more refined on my HR-1s, allowing more fine information with more finesse. Enough better to keep at the time, I don't think they were quite transparent across the spectrum...a bit too "warm" and "smoothing " for the sense of broad-spectrum and complex clarity/spaciousness I need. They were pretty good though, and nice to use for fine-tuning speaker placement, sliding pretty easily. I suspect the screw-in models would even be better.

I ended up with threaded Ingress Engineering feet. http://www.ingress-engineering.ca and they "sound" natural, revealing and balanced to me, on this floor.

They keep going up, an investment for the top feet by now, but presumably better with each iteration's refinements. Below is a variation on that theme that looks interesting to me, especially being tunable: https://highend-electronics.com/products/alto-extremo-exact?variant=25121381955

But these are not in the price range of the Auralex.

Something likely cheaper than those...If you are handy, Archie, a regular on this forum, has made nice platform isolators. It is basically a sandwich of two black painted particle boards cut-to-size to fit whatever he is isolating. There are recesses drilled in each panel to fit springs between the two panels, the springs connecting and separating the boards. The one I use is a really good isolator. If interested, you might PM Archie for more specifics. With your heavy speakers you would likely need some strongish springs, or more of them.  I think he has isolated everything in his room with variations of these.

The one I have is under my CSP3. Testing it in comparison with some effective and good sounding "audiophile" feet, it was quite good as-is. But as I recall, there was some remnant resonance I wanted to resolve. Adding damping using some small feet I made was not life-changing, but for me lifted Archie's platform from really good to excellent.

My tuning feet were made with about 1/2" square-cut pieces of Herbie's Audio thick grungebuster material glued in layers with Soundcoat damping material. Just one layer of each is really pretty useful for effective damping refinement...added under the platform, between shelves, or where-ever. For taller feet (say to clear the rubber feet on a component) the right proportions of each material layers really refined mine. For my CSP3, I got satisfied enough with 3 layers of the harder soundcoat, interspersed with 2 layers of more pliant grungebuster material. I like to make mine with one surface, one material, and the other, the other material, as flipping them does create a subtle difference that can be useful. So in this case the "stack" was 2 soundcoat, 1 grungebuster, 1 soundcoat, and 1 grungebuster.

Each of these established damping materials sound different, and I generally don't love either alone. But together they can be relatively balanced and transparent, especially for fine tuning. Putting some of these "feet" under and over Archie's platform made what seems to me to be a pretty world class isolator.

Hope this helps some.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/19 at 00:05:19

Thanks for the kind words Will, I'm glad you still like that platform.  Based on our conversations I put a layer of foam on top between the platform and amp.  I think a combination of materials really wrings out the most isolation.

I never had much luck with compliant materials alone although just about anything is better than nothing.  108 lbs is heavy compared to the HR1s (which I have) but it just means using a stiffer spring.  With speakers being tall and narrow (generally) there is a bit of instability -- but only if you push on them.  In use they don't move at all.  DIY platforms can cost only a few dollars, especially if you have materials laying around.  My only real cost when I made my platforms were the springs.

Oh, and tell the roommates to cool it!   Wink

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 01/06/19 at 04:34:51

I think going to the dollar store and playing around with your balls sounds like a lot more fun!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 01/06/19 at 06:48:25

If you are looking for a low cost option that can handle the weight of your heavy speakers, go to your local sporting goods store and buy some hockey pucks.  They are generally made out of vulcanized rubber and may just do th trick if you do not want to go the DIY route.  

They come in several variations....

-  Regulation ones that harder and made for adults.
-  Youth pucks that are softer and made for kids.
-  Youth practice pucks that are even softer yet.
-  Soft floor vinyl pucks that can even be used indoors in the basement or garage.
-  Hockey training balls that you can cut in 1/2.

Your big box stores may even allow you to return and swap them out for a different type if you say that you made a mistake and need a softer one for you kid.  

Then you can play around with using 3 pucks setup in a triangle formation, or use 4 of them each of the corners.  Granted this not in the same league as the Gramma mats, but it’s a lot cheaper.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
rodcad
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/06/19 at 15:12:42

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think Steve nailed it as usual!

Incoming UFO3's or UFO25, (2)Zkit1's, PS Audio Digital Link III, LR laptop, Cornwall's.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print