Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 03:05:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Failure Joins me for the New Year! (Read 5988 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Tube Failure Joins me for the New Year!
01/01/19 at 18:38:51

So, several weeks ago I posted on a possible new KT66 failure I thought I had. I got help from members trying to pin down the culprit and thought I found it. I pulled the KT 66 set I got from DecWare and shipped the off. I replaced the original EL 34's and everything up until this morning seemed fine. Went to warm up my MKIV this morning and immediately noticed my left channel out. I having learned a little from the last episode I started to methodically switch tubes from left to right starting with the OC2's, same left channel out, then the OA3's, left channel still out, then moved onto the switch with the 5U4G's and got a light show from the right 5U4G, the one that was originally on the left and now both channels out. Main fuse fine, the OC2's appear out and cool, the EL34's still glow, the 6922's are powered, the OA3's are lights out and cool.  No glow from the 5U4G's but they get hot. No sound left or right now. Hopefully to recap:
OC2's no glow appear out
OA3's no glow appear out
EL34's Glowing
5U4's no glow, but hot
6922's Glowing

I can't quite get a feel for this because now both channels out after doing the 5U4 switch and getting a light spark from the right one after switch.
Another note, before the shop shut down Sarah told me that Steve checked out the KT66's I sent back and they were all 4 fine, so it seems something in the KT66's (draw?) might have been pushing towards whatever eventually happened because all has sounded good for weeks since I sent back the KT66's to get checked.
 The good part is hopefully I can reach Steve tomorrow and get his thoughts, maybe just get the entire thing in, get the anniversary mods done and new caps, and have him take a look at the entire thing. Any thoughts? It has me baffled, but that is feat easily accomplished when it comes to tubes!

Happy New Year to All!

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Failure Joins me for the New Year!
Reply #1 - 01/01/19 at 19:01:53

Scott, the slam dunk would be to send in for the full upgrade package.  Steve will generally fix anything that needs fixing and from my experience, he is very generous regarding what is warranty work and what isn't.  I've sent everything of mine in and while it seems daunting, it really isn't bad or long, in the grand scheme of things.  Especially if you have a Pelican case for your MkIV.

Do you have any spare 5U4Gs to try?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/19 at 19:50:51

Hi Arch,

Thanks for the reply, since I posted, I have pulled out my pelican case and decided to ship it tomorrow rather than mess around. I have only a set of KT66's as extra and they are at DecWare waiting to be shipped with my Zrock2 Modded which should go this week I'm hoping. Since something weird is perhaps happening, and I want the mods, off it goes!
I was hoping to have a listen to my ZROCK2 before shipping off my MKIV but I have Sony HAP1s that will keep me in tunes, it drives the DNA2's just fine and actually is listenable thanks to what a great speaker the DNA2's are...just not anything like the MKIV pushing them.
 All in all, not the end of the world, I'll manage and am glad I didn't sell the Sony, maybe it'll be a good reason to get some Betsy's for a second system at some point, but then I'll want a 25th Anniversary to drive them and on and on and the Rabbit Holes deepens and widens Smiley
 Guess I need to get some backup tubes on the way when the MKIV gets shipped back, it'll be fun to get the amp back and have the ZROCK2 ready for it, with the ZTPRE close behind. A good thing to look forward to for the new year.

Best to all, have a great New Year, CHEERS!

Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 01/01/19 at 20:08:45

Scott,

Your not alone in the way of tubes OR Solid state! Though I have many successes, I have more than one miserable failures (almost always due to something I did). Somehow, it seems that our memories choose to keep the failures ready for rehashing. I think that I would agree with Archie here. In the larger scheme of things there will be a reward. The better part of it all is that you have a choice to send the unit in for repair. So may times, I have simply painted myself into a corner, and there the unit sets forever.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/01/19 at 20:38:37

I doubt it is anything other than a bad tube, and more than likely if not, something I did, not sure what, but I probably helped it along!
 I'm all set sending it in, it'll be back soon enough, with caps and mods all set to go, so I'm excited.
 It's in the Pelican and the tubes are boxed, my UPS guy will be here tomorrow to pick them up.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/01/19 at 22:52:31

Scott, did you get the Anniversary mods on your ZR2?  If not, is it too late to have Steve add them?  I'm not clear whether Steve still has it or not.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/01/19 at 23:30:41

Arch,

I did get the full mods, it happens it was in QC when they closed for Christmas, so I'm guessing it'll get packed up and shipped to me this week, my MKIV is all packed and ready to be picked up tomorrow to get checked and have Bees Wax Type II caps installed and then full anniversary mods. Can't wait to get it all back together, then follow with the ZTPRE which I ordered in mid October so it's working it's way on the list. This actually is seeming to work out just fine, and a lessoned learned on having a spare unit on hand to keep the music playing. It would be a tough wait with nothing!

Best,

Scott

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/01/19 at 23:33:01

Wow, you are going to be set!  That ZTPRE will be really something.  Are there anniversary mods for that or is it just too awesome as is?   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 01/02/19 at 01:19:38

So far no mods for the ZTPRE are announced. Looking at the interior I'm not sure they would fit in the chassis, but Steve might find a way. I have now decided to use one instead of a CSP3-25 in my main system, so I don't really feel it's necessary, but we'll see what Steve gets around to.

Scott, you're going to have a killer system when it is all in and settled in!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/02/19 at 02:13:48

Thanks Lon,

I just wonder if there might not be some mods at some point on the ZTPRE, I bet Steve could get more stuff in there if he need too...but then I have a time getting a three gang box for light switches together, so take that for what it’s worth!

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/02/19 at 03:04:54

Sure, Steve might weigh in here and I'm sure he might work some magic.  But I confess I think the ZTPRE is so perfect as is--transparent and "breathing"--that I won't be sad if it never changes. You may find it the same way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 01/02/19 at 04:13:42

There are things I could do to it, and have been curious to explore, but two things; 1) It has yet to become the weak link and 2) the current voicing serves the music rather well, it's like the governor on a lawn mower...  it just works so well that there is little motivation to improve it.   It's not like I'm reading press about how it sounds inferior to this model or that model... but when the time is appropriate I will explore it.  The time will be appropriate when it becomes the weak link in a fully decked out anniversary chain.

Frankly, to preserve the musicality and forgiveness factor that the CSP3 was always so famous for, I still use 6N1P in my ZPTRE despite being able to EXPLODE the resolution with even 6N5P let alone NOS 6922/7DJ8 and so on... so modding the ZPTRE would be the same thing as changing the 6N1P into a 6N5P and so on...  no doubt it would be great, but the balance it creates between a high resolution source and high resolution amplifier is somewhat priceless with it's current range of possibilities.  When I find myself running ultra fast high resolution 6922's or 7DJ8's and similar tubes in an effort to push the envelope (which can happen with the right variables) then I will mod the preamp because it would be a waste to spend 100's of dollars per tube to push the envelope when we can make a 6N1P sound like that or better with similar anniversary mods....

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/02/19 at 13:33:28

And there ends the speculation!
Thanks Steve.

Hope you had a great holiday and got some rest, your work seems cutout for you in 2019, what an amazing 2018!

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/02/19 at 14:38:41

Steve said: "There are things I could do to it, and have been curious to explore, but two things; 1) It has yet to become the weak link and 2) the current voicing serves the music rather well, it's like the governor on a lawn mower...  it just works so well that there is little motivation to improve it."

I have to agree, the ZTPRE is not likely to ever become the weak link in my system, and I love the way it sounds now with any tube set. Such an improving, revealing yet musical preamp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print