Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:30:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WiFi Netgear Mesh Extenders (Read 9373 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

WiFi Netgear Mesh Extenders
12/29/18 at 20:35:44

If anyone is having WiFi signal strength issues, I encourage you to add a Netgear Nighthawk X6S WiFi Mesh Extender near your streaming device. I now have a super strong WiFi signal in my listening room for a bit more peace of mind. Easy set up with my existing Netgear router.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: WiFi Netgear Mesh Extenders
Reply #1 - 03/21/19 at 20:21:32

Thanks Rodger.....great  find.  I have been having some signal strength issues in my bedroom, and this would definitely fit the bill.  

It’s got rave reviews online and seems like it’s one of the best on the market.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/22/19 at 02:23:53

Thanks HK. I can definitely use it!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 03/22/19 at 20:50:35

I'm glad we opened up a digital section here at Decware - this is the kind of information sharing I hoped to have here!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 04/15/19 at 06:47:33

Roger....A buddy of mine just set up an outdoor Sonance audio system, and needed more range for his WiFi signal.   I recommended your Netgear Mesh extender and he absolutely loved it.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/15/19 at 15:18:09

Glad to hear Dom. Hope your HT room renovations are coming along.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 04/15/19 at 21:46:19

Unfortunately we had a minor setback in the design phase, so I had to delay the renovation until next year.  Bummed a bit, but it made no sense to rush it.

IP Logged
Filamentally
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/27/20 at 10:04:43

Asus also do a mesh solutions for their routers - called AiMesh - with their kit they have a dedicated AC backhaul allowing full bandwidth to the extended network.

Netgear have a similar solution with their Orbi's.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/27/20 at 15:11:52

Something to be considered is that by extending your Wi-Fi bubble you are further opening the door up to external hackers and decreasing the security of your network.  Powerful Wi-Fi antennas can pull in a home network's signal from as far away as over 2 miles but if your signal reaches to the street you are much more likely to be victimized based on simple ease of access.  
All the networks that are available to your Wi-Fi adapter can be easily hacked by readily available software.  

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 01/29/20 at 20:27:05

Easily hacked?

I'm not doing Black Hat/White Hat stuff any more, but if WiFi was that easily hacked, hotels and Starbucks would be screwed...people would be "easily hacked" every day.

Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 01/30/20 at 06:07:01

Dana.... if you are concerned for your home network getting hacked, just disable its broadcasting feature.  That way it’s not publicly displayed when you pull up the list of the WiFi networks available.  

You can get creative and just come up with a crazy name for your home network like “Five Monkeys and a banana ” that way the WiFi network name isn’t tied to your home address or last name.  

It goes without saying that a strong randomly generated encrypted password should be used at all times and changed regularly to maximize your safety.  

My buddy’s house in Vegas had a password so long, it was mind blowing. I told him to copy and paste it to me, but he was soo crazy that he didn’t want it put over the airwaves.  Needless to say we sat there and he had to read it off to me.   Painful to say the least.

Dom

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/30/20 at 15:37:51

https://www.concise-courses.com/hacking-tools/wireless-tools/

Some WiFi Hacking Videos on YouTube have literally millions of views.

On another site... Moral
The biggest take away from this hack is to never use HTTP websites and above all never use your credentials to login on those websites. You may never know who else might be sniffing the network and they will pick up your login credentials all just by viewing the network traffic.

All I'm saying is be careful out there

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 01/31/20 at 07:15:19

Dana....very informative website.  In addition..I normally run VPN software on all my mobile devices....  Especially when I am logging into important sites that have my personal information.  

Just a heads up....there are a lot of VPN software companies out there, but they are not created equal.  The biggest factor is to choose a company that operates outside of the US jurisdiction.  There are actually a few popular companies out there that are well respected, like Nord VPN, but are established here in the U.S.

That way if the US government ever wanted to subpoena your log files, they don’t have the authority.  I personally use Express VPN and have been very happy with services thus far.  

Dominick

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 02/03/20 at 23:08:53

Agreed with Dominick. Some of the cheaper ones don't even own their own VPN servers, so you're connection might be going through a server with 10 other brand name VPNs, which means the IP is often blacklisted from several sites. I can't even get to my bank from a couple VPNs I've tried!

Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/04/20 at 18:52:08

I use the Opera browser that has VPN built in.  It allows you do choose your source as in Asia, Europe or Americas.

I haven't figured out how to use it with Chromecast but it used to...

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print