Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 02:07:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New round here, could use some help (Read 4139 times)
bennymar
Verified Member

New round here, could use some help
12/28/18 at 04:02:19

Hello friends. I’m looking for some advice on where to start with this awesome tube gear. Can’t call Steve back until after the new year so I figured I would start with the community.
My setup as is right now is

Technics 1200 with Ortofon bronze
Martin Logan 35XT speakers
PS Audio Sprout (preamp, amp, and DAC all in one)
Listening area is 14Wx12hx12d

I’m looking to open my third eye so to speak and upgrade to a decware amp. My question is, in the long run would I benefit more from getting a Torii MkIV or SE84UFO25 while keeping the sprout as my phono stage/dac for now, upgrading later on, Or would a mini torii and a ZP3 be better

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: New round here, could use some help
Reply #1 - 12/28/18 at 14:37:50

Your sensitivity is not to shabby with the 35XT @ 92 dB/2.83 volts/meter.

I would go with a Torii JR., with Mod's.
Beeswax bypass mod
Ultra-linear resistor mod
Glass resistor mod

+ ZP3 w/Mod's

(Assuming your area is not treated)
Reads like you have a dedicated space. My Listening Room is simular. Acoustic Treatment is paramount! Start with the basic's: clap echo, side wall first point reflections, high freq. running the top corners of the room, etc... . I have poor man's room treatment (read: Mike Green's stuff & my DIY....does the trick). If I was in my great room area...I would be forced to do something more tasteful. Grin

I've had an treated room since 1994 (three separate houses and now my humble Townhome). I can't stress it enough.
https://www.michaelgreenaudio.net/

~ALSO~
Decware too
https://www.decware.com/p1312.htm

....and obviously their are an near plethora of acoustic treatment sites and many here that know a lot more about it than I. However, to reiterate: Cover the basic's as I described above and 99% of it will be covered. You don't need to kill the mesquito with a sledge hammar is my metaphor for this! It is something you can work on while waiting for your Decware to be built and delivered too.

.....and welcome to the Forum...if you chose to hang....or not...no worries. Pretty damn cool here.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
bennymar
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/28/18 at 16:22:40

@stone_of_tone thank you for the suggestion! I’ll get to treating my room while waiting for build/ship, almost like nesting for a baby’s arrival. So, given my speakers’ sensitivity, and how they’re close to the 94, but not quite there, should I eliminate the SE84UFO25 or the Mini torii from consideration altogether?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 12/28/18 at 16:30:01

I would not eliminate them just yet. Certainly talk with Steve in the New Year.

I forgot to include the Treatment Forum:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=acoustics

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Scott in mich
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/28/18 at 18:04:18

Hi stone_of_tone,

Curious what you use from GreenAudio.  Looks like a wealth of info on his site.

Sota Sapphire, Audiomods, Grado Green/8MZ, Antique Sound USA PP-1, Schiit Modi 2 multi, SE84UFO, Betsy Baffle, DSR IC's, Double Helix+
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 12/28/18 at 19:43:54

I use the TunePak below....for going on 25 years now! Simple.
13x12x9 size Room....make it sound bigger.

No B.S., Micheal Green did start this for the home audio enthusiast.
I remember in 1994, ....people, even audiophiles thought I was nuts, until they understood and heard it. ....then the rest was history. The trick is...you don't want to end up with an anechoic chamber/dead. ...the room still needs some snap! I think a lot of people were helped/enlightened, by Robert Harley's first book (94, or 1995) on covering the basic's in your room.....even using a mirror. Now, get out the Laser, I suppose!

I currently just have the 4 upper CornerTunes deployed from MGAudio. For my lower corner's/bass traps and walls I found some one inch air conditioning filters to be effective. Poor man's like I said. Cheesy She ain't pretty...but in a dedicated room I don't care. The sound from my Decware gear that is pretty....forgettabout it. I did treat my ceiling too, at one time. My Adagio Tweeter's don't need it + the angling degree down of the top woofer...minimizes ceiling reflections.

https://www.michaelgreenaudio.net/roomtune
RoomTune TunePak

Every room is different acoustically and RoomTune for the last 25 + years has made the audiophile basic tune-up as cookie cutter and affordable as it gets. The RoomTune TunePak (as seen to the left) is a 10 piece set, treating 4 upper corners (CornerTunes), 2 midseams (EchoTunes) and 4 main corners (XLTs).

Off this desktop....and back to my Listening Room! I will grab my iPadII.
......enjoying my NOS Tungsram 6922 input tubes today with my Gold Lion Cryo KT88's. THE NOS Telefunken's for inverter's.

The first thing I do...when I walk into a Room that is supposedly set up for music.....is CLAP ECHO TEST.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Chris P
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/18 at 02:27:55

Very interesting!  Thank you!  You just have to spend some time reading these posts to find the answers you seek.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/31/18 at 02:41:13

FWIW the 35XTs are over rated by @ 5dBs.
I'd suggest a minimum of 20 watts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print