Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:22:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY Speaker-level A/B Switch (Read 7039 times)
TimB
Verified Member

DIY Speaker-level A/B Switch
12/19/18 at 00:31:57

I run two amps in my setup - a Rachel and a Rogue Pharaoh.  I was getting tired of having to swap the speaker leads between amps, so I asked Steve if they had a solution and he said to give 20-amp light switches a try.  Well, it worked out quite nicely.  If there is any "degradation", it's minimal and I can't really detect it.  The convenience is great.

I used four commercial grade 20-amp 3-way switches, binding posts from Zu Audio, and Belden 5000UP 10-awg cable (from Blue Jeans) with Panduit female spades.

I did decide to switch the negative lines as well so that this can be used with any amplifier (like Decware's where the negatives are "floating" and aren't tied to ground)

Might not be the fanciest, but it works for me!

IMG_1632.jpeg
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Re: DIY Speaker-level A/B Switch
Reply #1 - 12/19/18 at 00:35:01

2nd pic of the outside

IMG_1633.jpeg
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/19/18 at 00:36:43

Pic of the "guts"

IMG_1628.jpeg
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 12/19/18 at 03:23:45

I am going to say that is a classy job you did there. Using the 4 hole switch plate might not have occurred to me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 12/19/18 at 03:25:03

But wait a tick, are those electricians tools in the back ground? No fair.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 12/19/18 at 04:46:13

That's some beautiful work there! And great choice of parts all around! Well done!

I'm glad you can't here any noticeable degradation; that would have been my only worry really.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/18 at 02:38:32

Thanks for the compliments!  I added one more mod to it for easier switching; a bar tying all the switches together.

IMG_1641.jpeg
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 01/02/19 at 20:21:04

Brilliant and well executed mod! Love the use of wood for that bar!

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 01/02/19 at 22:08:07

"Throw the last switch!" ...."Yes, Master." "Give, my, creature,,, life!"

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 01/02/19 at 22:17:56

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it looked like a big Y lever bar!

I saw a breaker/switch like that at one of my 100 year old hotels I support - mounted in a closet, probably unused since the 80's, and it looks like it's from the 60s. I'm tempted to bring a power screwdriver and take it home with me on my next visit. Mount it in the kitchen or something, just for a conversation piece. LOL

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 01/04/19 at 02:58:44

LR,

Man, the stuff we have seen on sites, right? Some of the products back in the 30's and 40's.... knife switches, push button switches, fuse blocks, and on it goes. All extremely heavy duty stuff. I have even incorporated some of it in the low voltage switching back in the day. Customers loved it.

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/05/19 at 02:55:26

It really does give a satisfyingly solid feel when you throw the four switches at once.  Indeed very Frankenstein-like  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print