03/29/24 at 03:02:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New USB Cord...Wow (Read 7154 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

New USB Cord...Wow
12/09/18 at 17:43:39

An interesting thing happened when I came across a posting on interconnects, I think on turntable cables. I followed the postings and Pete at Triode Wire Labs was mentioned. I contacted him and ordered a Decrete USB ˝ meter from him, it arrived and I promptly replaced my factory interconnect between my Sonore ultraRendo and MyTek Brooklyn+ DAC. I'm amazed, either that one cable made a profound difference in my entire system listening to any streamed music. The imagining is greatly improved, the detail, the soundstage...wow! I am having a hard time reconciling that much improvement and have to wonder if my ears have taken a step towards more comprehension and also that a vast improvement in break-in, seasoning and all that has just coincidently happened at the same time. What ever it is, it's got me amazed, happy and a very content guy! It is a very nicely made piece and very light and flexible. If it is responsible on it's own for the change in my system, it is really something. Is it conceivable that the one change has that profound an effect (it is one of the final weak links after putting in DecWare interconnects everywhere) and all my music comes through it?
Be interested to hear any thoughts on it.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: New USB Cord...Wow
Reply #1 - 12/09/18 at 18:07:01

I compared half a dozen USB and coaxial cables in my set up. Streaming from PC and CD transport to my ZDAC.

Some of these were highly touted +$500 cables recommended by several audiophiles. Having heard Pete's cables in the Volti room at the 2017 CAF, I tried both.

His USB and coaxial cables sounded the best, hands down. Exceptionally realistic tone & dynamics, no digital glare, and vocals are to die for. His cables are also reasonably priced too.

Those are my listening observations.

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/09/18 at 19:41:33

Hock,
 It was your post that got me there! Thank you! Smiley
 Definitely Vocals, Holly Cole and Eva Cassidy really got my attention when I did the switch.
Best,
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/09/18 at 23:10:21

👍

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 12/09/18 at 23:20:43

Reduce the jitter and you're hearing the bits as they were intended. A good USB can do that.

On some setups you can use use a "Data Only USB" cable where they just flat out drop the power connections from the cable altogether. I don't think a lot of DACs play well that kind of cable, but it will definitely help those that do.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/18 at 14:42:38

I got a lift when I added a Curious USB pigtail.  It runs a separate power line that is exterior to the main cable.  

I am using one of Raven's USB cables that go from my regen to the DAC so I am interested in this thread.

I haven't done this on my TEAC DAC connection, but on my Chord DAC I just did the old tape over the power connector trick.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/10/18 at 16:25:16

I hadn't really given much thought to my USB cables until I started following the postings I mentioned above because when I purchase the Ultrarendo, I questioned Andrew at SGC and his feeling was as long as it's a certified(?) USB it didn't really matter, although we did have a talk about ethernet cables and he did make one for me that runs something shielded, and isolated (maybe ground) and felt it would benefit me, so I did go with it as I have a 25' run from my Sonictransport APi7 to my ultraRendo.

The whole exercise has me thinking about an upcoming situation, so maybe we can expand this a bit along with the USB discussion. I have a ZTPRE coming in the next few months and am going to need an additional, short (˝m to 1m) Balanced Cable to go from the ZTPRE to my ZBit which will feed my ZROCK2 to the ToriMKIV. I currently have a Better Cables Silver Serpent II running 5m from the music server to the MyTek Brooklyn DAC+ and am pondering whether I would benefit by getting a better grade balanced at the ZTPRE or just stick with Silver Serpent II type because I already have one in the chain?? As usual, this is probably confusing as are most of my questions, hopefully it make sense, guess we'll see. Roll Eyes
 Thanks for your opinions and advice, there's a lot of years of knowledge out there I just can't catchup on merely reading!

Best,
Scott

ZROCK2 w/Mods creeping onto bench today...I'm hoping Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/10/18 at 17:57:24

Here's my two cents on balanced cables:

One penny: while it MAY be true that "quality doesn't matter as much with balanced cables" I'll say that with amazing components like the ZTPRE and these wonderful amps we have. . . I have heard a difference with every balanced cable I've heard and went for the best I could afford because I can hear and appreciate the difference.

Second penny: I have the 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 mono blocks, not the single chassis Anniversary amp, but. . . every tube matters in these amps as you are finding out--combining the input and regulator and output and regulator and rectifier yields many different sounds. I have found the best sound in MY setup with the OD3W and OC2 regulators (I haven't yet been able to roll the OC2 as it is socketed under the steel chassis and I haven't gone there yet) and I have found the very best rectifiers to use the RCA 5V4G and Sophia Electric Aqua 274B, and I've rolled a ton of input tubes and keep coming back to the Amperex 7308 and I have rolled a number of output tubes and the red-tipped EP tubes Steve shipped with the amp have shown themselves to be the best.

You are going to love your ZROCK2!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/23/19 at 13:02:04

I'm in the process of burning in a new USB cable from Acoustic BBQ (sold on Audiogon from grannyring). Seller is a DIY'er, turned cable builder, who primarily uses Deuland wiring (tin coated, copper strand) for constructing his USB, IC, and speaker cables. He's focused on providing low cost, musical products, and has nice following of satisfied customers.

A slightly richer (more midrange emphasis) than Triode Wire Labs USB offering. Might be a good fit if your system sounds a little too lean.

More to come as these fully burn in.

HK

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/24/19 at 18:42:43

I'm interested in your findings HK.  

I use the tin coated vintage Western Electric 16G for my speaker wires and have made up some ICs with it as well.  I haven't tried the Deulund but Jeff of Jeff's Place likes it so I think its worth a shot.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/24/19 at 22:44:12

Scott, I now have a full loom of Triode Wire Labs. With every additional cable you add, it all just gets better and better.  I have never experienced such a “wow” moment with any other cable addition in my system. Just tremendous value for the money. The synergy with tube rectified gear, HE speakers and NOS DACs especially is especially fantastic.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/25/19 at 00:32:17

O C,

I can't agree more, a great value for the money, I feel the same about DecWare IC's which I have everywhere. My MK is back to me, waiting on one tube then my ZTPRE ships so I'll be ready to settle in for some serious listening sessions very soon. There was a time not too long ago I couldn't fathom spending what I have in the last year on cables!
 Good listening to you,

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Teasdale
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/25/19 at 12:07:41

I had no idea this cable makes such a big difference. Might consider getting it too. Are there any pitfalls regarding it I should look to avoid?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/29/19 at 13:05:56

Quote:
I'm in the process of burning in a new USB cable from Acoustic BBQ (sold on Audiogon from grannyring). Seller is a DIY'er, turned cable builder, who primarily uses Deuland wiring (tin coated, copper strand) for constructing his USB, IC, and speaker cables. He's focused on providing low cost, musical products, and has nice following of satisfied customers.

A slightly richer (more midrange emphasis) than Triode Wire Labs USB offering. Might be a good fit if your system sounds a little too lean.

More to come as these fully burn in.

HK

As a follow-up, this USB cable is now fully burned in. Here is a copy of my Audiogon feedback on this cable:

"Bill's Acoustic BBQ USB cable is the real deal. Extremely musical, accurate, great tonality, and throws a huge and deep soundstage. This cable displaced a  more expensive USB cable in my highly resolving system. Quick build time, superb quality, and excellent communications. I could not be more delighted with my purchase. A+++ Agon seller."

I was extremely skeptical of these cables at first, having read a lot of mixed reviews of Deuland 16g tin coated copper cables. Suffice to say that Bill Dion's (grannyring at Audiogon) cables are some of the most natural sounding cables I've heard in my system. They are not perfectly neutral, having a wee bit of mid-range emphasis as compared with other cables. But, the music sounds magical, really draws you in. And WOW what a deep and wide soundstage. These cables just sound gorgeous in my Decware tube system paired with Omega SAHO XRS speakers.

BTW, I am still burning in a set of Acoustic BBQ interconnects and have already decided to get some more.

Cheers,

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print