Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 00:53:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A tale of two cartridges (Read 3018 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

A tale of two cartridges
12/02/18 at 16:38:40

I purchased a Dynavector D17mK3 new in the box from an authorized dealer in southern California 11-2017. One Friday night at the end of September I rolled home for my Friday night music and glass of wine....no output from the right channel. Swapped leads and yeah the cartridge had a problem. I contacted the dealer (Jay @ Audio Revelation) and he said to send it to the distributor Toffco. I made contact with Mike Pranka and followed his instructions. Mike verified that the cartridge had an open coil. In 45 years of spinning records, I've never had a cart fail. In the mean time, the D17mK3 was discontinued and replaced with the 17DX at 2200.00. Now I paid 950.00 for the mK3. Mike upgraded me to the new DX at no charge. I mounted the new cartridge and the differences are amazing. The whole lower mids to bass have SO MUCH more definition. The tone on Ray Browns bass on Cry Me A River just floored me. All other aspects of this new cartridge are so much better I am still trying to get my head around them. I would never have been able to get into a cart of this caliber (the D17Mk3 was no slouch at all) if it were not for the excellent customer service of the USA distributor Mike. To use a cliche, it's like a whole new record collection. Oh, all that Decware/Omega gear helps a little too. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: A tale of two cartridges
Reply #1 - 12/02/18 at 17:13:15

Chris,

That's really good news about your cartridge replacement. The Dynavector 17DX sounds very special. I've really enjoyed my Dyna 20X2 LO cartridge. I stepped up from the 10X5 when I upgraded my turntable several years ago.

Can you tell us about your vinyl set up?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: A tale of two cartridges
Reply #2 - 12/02/18 at 19:05:08

HockessinKid- I bought a SOTA Star Sapphire vacuum table with a Fidelity Research FR-64S arm back in the early 2000's from a dentist who was sure his cd player was better. I have re-wired the tonearm (exterior) with Cardas tonearm wire so the connections go from the 17DX straight into the Decware ZMC1 step up> ZP3>CSP3>Rachael. I had set up quite a few SOTA's back in the day when I was in the audio business and really love them, so when this came up it was a no brainer. I think I paid about 900 for the table and arm. I have never had a problem with the table or the arm and while I did that sideways look from the misses when I came home with it, it was so superior to the table (which was not bad by any stretch) I was using I cannot see replacing it any time soon. Thank you for the comments and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print