03/29/24 at 13:42:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Traps in tiny home (Read 4112 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

Traps in tiny home
12/02/18 at 04:02:26

I’ve recently been listening to a set of Traps pushed by ZenUfO in my log cabin tiny home. They are great. The 2 watt amp and 89dB speakers are plenty in this space if anybody is on the edge. Terrific speakers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Traps in tiny home
Reply #1 - 12/02/18 at 06:16:49

I agree these are terrific speakers, though I could not get sufficient volume out of my pair driven by one of the Zen amps. However I did get close to enough volume with a Taboo Mk III or Mk IV, and putting a Torii Mk II or Mk III to the Traps made them SING!

As good as they may sound in a VERY small space with a Zen amp, they really do like more power in my experience.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/31/18 at 14:04:28

It seems that people forget that these were designed for desktop use; that a 2-watt amp is enough for near field. Then folks began discovering that they also work phenomenally well with higher power amps in larger spaces.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/19 at 17:10:05

Mine also sounded quite good with the Torii MKIII.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/22/19 at 18:57:50

I certainly haven't "forgotten" that these were designed for desktop. But to be honest, I think they shine more as say stand-mounted monitors powered by a more powerful amp. They could be marketed successfully that way! The sound with the Torii and the speakers on stands widely apart certainly was much better for me than the sound with a Zen amp on a desktop.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/19 at 19:33:21

I think Bob told me once that he designed a horn type stand for his to increase the bass output.  

I sold my traps but still have a set of the drivers which I used in a DNA cabinet that I built.  Those have great bass output.  

I went the open baffle route so those speakers are in a closet right now.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print