04/24/24 at 19:56:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZR2 and CPS3-25 (Read 4289 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

ZR2 and CPS3-25
11/29/18 at 22:43:41

I have a ZR2 and plan to buy a CPS3-25 when Steve offers the unit to match the ZenUFO-25. My question is will the ZR2 need to go in the system before or after the CSP3? I’m thinking because of the output voltage on the CSP3 it has to go before it. Am I correct or not?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZR2 and CPS3-25
Reply #1 - 11/29/18 at 23:23:13

This question has come up and I think it can be successfully used in either location.  I originally had mine after my CSP3 but occasionally I did get distortion when I had a low output recording and I had to crank up the CSP3.  I now have it in front and like it better there.  The only downside is that I have to swap cables for my 2nd source (which I rarely use).

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/30/18 at 15:23:40

Yes, I agree it can be used successfully in both locations. I had it before the CSP3-25 for quite some time, but now I have it after the CSP3-25 and I think it's a bit more transparent and dynamic in this position. I haven't had distortion issues any different than when it was before the CSP3-25.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/30/18 at 16:26:42

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I run a vinyl rig up front and I need to boost my CSP3 more than I would with my digital front.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/30/18 at 17:31:16

Understood. Honestly I'm not sure there's any difference either way, any difference isn't YUGE. And great sound both ways!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/30/18 at 18:08:33

Someday Steve ought to put a meter on the CSP3 output so we can see what it's putting out.  Hint hint.   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/18 at 20:34:40

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to run two sources to the CSP3 and it sounds like I can and they’ll both go through the ZR2. It seems the CSP3-25 i’m Waiting for will actually handle 3 sources. Sweet.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/30/18 at 23:15:30

Did Steve build that special?  I didn't realize 3 inputs was even an option.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/30/18 at 23:23:13

In describing the upcoming CSP3 25th Anniversary edition that will be the "matching partner" to the SE84UFO25, Steve said it would have three inputs, one in the front, two in the rear.

Edit to add: here is what Steve posted in the "Developments" thread on 10/18:

UPDATE: CSP3 Anniversary Edition

I have finally gotten to have a Zen moment with the new CSP3 25th Anniversary Edition preamplifier design!

The 25th Anniversary mod for the CSP3 is a serious success, and will always be available as an option on both new and existing CSP3 preamps. That said, we are going to come out with a full blown anniversary edition to match the SE84UFO25 right down the green patina'd chassis and African hardwood base. The two will be visually matched and together will create a sound who's sum is greater than their parts.

I have the chassis design 95% completed and it will have the following changes:

There will be no headphone jack or input level controls. If headphone use is desired, simply connect headphones to the speaker jacks of the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier via the appropriate adapter. The outputs of the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier are fully balanced and the sound is over the top in headphones.

There will be THREE pair of inputs! The two in the back like the stock CSP3, and an additional pair in the front located directly in front of the input tube so that internally no wire is needed between the jack and the control grid of the tube. It is the same setup as on the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier. This particular signal path will be ultra high resolution.

The voltage regulator tubes will remain internal, one for each channel exactly like the current CSP3 with Anniversary mods. We feel this gives better performance and consistency than having them external and socketed. The internal tubes are rated for the life of the product and covered by the lifetime warranty.

There will be dual volume controls that can be your choice of attenuators or infinitely variable carbon pots.

The chassis will match the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier.

The audio tube compliment will be the same as it is now with the exception of the front input tube being changed from 6N1P to a 6N5P. The later being similarly warm but with greater resolution and focus. The rear two tubes remain 6N1P.

In addition to the two internal tubes, there will also be a pair of external magic eye tubes connected as VU meters, one per channel, mounted in the back similar to the location of the rear OA3 tubes in the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier. These magic eye tubes will be calibrated to show you if there is a signal present at the inputs of your preamp. They will also show you how hot the signal is. When the magic eye closes the input is at maximum (about 7.8 volts RMS AC).

These tubes will be able to be clearly seen from across the room and are not subject to shipping damage like a calibrated meter. While they don't typically ever wear out, should one become damaged, it can simply be replaced.

Eliminating the input level controls, the headphone section and updating the output level controls to attenuators in combination with the direct glass-resistor-coupled input jacks will ensure the purest of signal paths, just like the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier has.

I hope to be assembling the first production prototype in December/January and have it available by Spring. The pair is going to be a real brain-slayer!

Happy listening!

Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print