03/29/24 at 14:57:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Tester (Read 4814 times)
Showme
Seasoned Member

Tube Tester
11/27/18 at 23:59:38

I came across a Hickok tube tester at a thrift store today. It was built into an original suitcase carrying case and was complete with manual and booklet with suggested tube substitutions. Only problem was it didn’t seem to me to be a thrift store kind of price. They were asking $150 for it. Am I wrong to pass on it?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Tester
Reply #1 - 11/28/18 at 03:13:22

Hey Showme,

I think that depends a lot on condition, model and what you want to test. Have you looked on Ebay to get some comparisons?

Then there is refurbishing and calibrating if needed. It has been a long time since I looked, but just calibration and a few fixes could cost $150-200 or more I guess. Might google that. But if it is in good shape otherwise, for many models it seems $300-350 total could be a good price.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/28/18 at 14:08:49

Thanks, for the info. I will Google it. I did figure that calibration would be off after all these years. Condition looked good but I didn't fire it up.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 11/28/18 at 18:39:08

Yeah, what will said. You'd have to find one of the few shops that still can calibrate those, and pay for shipping as well.

Just to test if the tubes are good though, if the unit works then calibration isn't critical IMHO. You'll still be able to tell that the tube doesn't have any shorts (which could hurt your amp!), if the tube works at all,  and has emissions. Calibration will just help you more accurately tell if the tube is closer to new, or closer to end of life. Tube testers (IMHO) aren't really for "matching" tubes, because they typically don't run the tubes at the same operating voltages and currents that the tubes will see in an amp. They are testers, not matchers.

If you're willing to take the gamble, point out that it would need to be professionally calibrated and offer $100. I think you could easily recoup that price for "parts" if the unit doesn't work. Just sell it to the same shops that calibrate. Or, after negotiating the $100 price, pull a tube out of your pocket and test it really quickly before paying! LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/29/18 at 22:16:33

Raven that’s the ticket just pull a tube out of my pocket or a$$.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 11/30/18 at 17:27:32

Did you happen to get the model number of that tester?

I pulled my old Heathkit out of storage this week to help Deuce Kazue test some 1920s era tubes, and out of curiosity checked the current selling price. On eBay, even uncalibrated my Heathkit tester can fetch $400-$500. (check out DK's post in the DIY section about the radio)

If the one you found could fetch that much, working, but uncalibrated...then it's worth putting in an offer.

I wouldn't mind picking up another tube tester, just for the cool vintage gear factor.

Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/01/18 at 22:20:12

I’ll try to get by there and check the model number and maybe shoot a picture. I’m at my cabin now, terrible weather but enjoying listening to Palomino’s Traps. Love them for this small space.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/03/18 at 22:45:09

Oh that's right! You grabbed those!

Great little speakers! Like I said, I'm kinda jealous, but better they go to where they'll be used and not shuffled around from storage to storage like I've been doing lately.

Definitely be safe, but if you can get more information on that tube tester I'm  happy to help you with research when I have time.

Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/04/18 at 22:19:22

The speakers are very enjoyable in my small cabin. The thrift store was open today and the tester is a Hickok Model 600A Microohm. I looked for any attached record of it being calibrated and found nothing.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/05/18 at 02:58:01

Showme,

I own a 600A, and I've had it for about 10 years now. I got it from a guy who rebuilt antique radios and had 4 or 5 different testers. It had had a recent calibration and he wanted to give it to me, but I insisted on paying him $75. I have tubes from 10 years ago that I've kept just as standardss, to see if the tester has drifted. It's still within 10% of where I started.

That said, regardless of absolute accuracy it allows me to do two very important things. #1 is to identify obviously bad tubes; most testers will do that. The other is to give me relative readings to determine good tubes from great tubes. It also allows for very rough matching (I emphasize very rough; real matching only happens with testers like the Hickok 539 or the Amplitrex) which is good enough for most amps.

Bottom line, if it works and you can buy it for $100 or less, I think it's worth it. If you can get it calibrated for a reasonable price, you'll have something that will last you a long time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print