Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:02:45 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anniversary Mods for the ZROCK2 (Read 14493 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Anniversary Mods for the ZROCK2
Reply #50 - 03/22/19 at 03:09:34

EQB hasn't worked for me with the OG ZROCK2 or this modded one, believe me I've tried it. Not enough treble reduction per bass boost. I think we have different needs in room/system.

I must say that with the speaker cable change I was pretty much where I needed to be, with the 5814A tube and could have the ZROCK2 at about the 25 minute on the hour position, and excellent sound.

And then today I installed the latest firmware for the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player and I observed as many others have a decided improvement in bass response and was very happy for the hour I got to spend with the system (my wife was home today and I didn't have any more time for music). Looking forward to tomorrow, I think that the ZROCK2 has broken in considerably and I have things dialed in well. I am thrilled with the solidity of the instrumental sound and the dynamics this modded component is capable of.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/22/19 at 03:21:50

Glad to hear (no pun intended) that it’s working out.  I’m also thrilled with mine.  I have a couple of RCA 5963’s on the way along with a couple of Raytheon 5814a Windmill Getter.  Not looking to improve necessarily just an itch I have to scratch.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 03/22/19 at 14:50:24

JOMAN,

Great to know this. I should be getting my 25th Anniversary ZR2 in a couple weeks. I look forward to experimenting with the settings, after things settle in.

I'm guessing about 200-250 hours for the caps and everything to fully "burn in". Does this amount of time sound right for folks that have the modded ZR2?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/22/19 at 15:50:41

I'd say at least that to completely settle in, may throw another 150 in there, but I have a lot of mods going all at once so it's impossible to be sure which is doing what.
Probably doesn't help much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
NEW ZLC should be here around 3, getting ready for it!
Smiley
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 03/22/19 at 23:28:26

HockessinKid, I lost track of time and do not think that I’m at the 200 hr., point.  Like Scott I had a lot of things going on at the same time.  I would say at about the 25 hour mark I started to notice changes.  Now I’m probably somewhere between 70 and 100 hours.  

The first significant change was 20 - hours after I installed the new spades on my cables.  I did have the ZR-2 with modifications before I installed the spades.  Immediately after I installed the spades the sound went for a bit of dump.  Around the 20 hour mark things began to sound like they did before only much better.

The next thing I changed was the tube that was in the ZR-2 prior to the mods.  It worked then but not after the mods and the more the whole affair burnt in the more it became evident.  So I went back to what was sent with the ZR-2, the 5963 long grey plate.  Much better.  Talked to Steve and I bought a Philips long grey plate and a National black plate.

As the Philips settled in, along with a tube change in my CSP-3 the results started to edge into the ‘spectacular’ category and they continue to ‘improve’.  That’s not the word I’m looking for but I think it’ll make the point.

So more to the point, the results continue to go more and more into the ‘spectacular’ category and I think it’s now the ZR-2 modified that is changing, seasoning as time goes on.  If it stopped here I would be thrilled but based on what is happening every time I turn it on, I do think it has a ways to go yet.  When I get to the 200 hour mark I’ll see where it all ends up.

I don’t like to make statements that can be taken as absolutely ‘this is what will happen’ as there are too many variables, but in this case, if you are patient, I think you’ll be rewarded beyond expectations.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/22/19 at 23:26:26

HockessinKid, I lost track of time and do not think that I’m at the 200 hr., point.  Like Scott I had a lot of things going on at the same time.  I would say at about the 25 hour mark I started to notice changes.  Now I’m probably somewhere between 70 and 100 hours.  

The first significant change was 20 - hours after I installed the new spades on my cables.  I did have the ZR-2 with modifications before I installed the spades.  Immediately after I installed the spades the sound went for a bit of dump.  Around the 20 hour mark things began to sound like they did before only much better.

The next thing I changed was the tube that was in the ZR-2 prior to the mods.  It worked then but not after the mods and the more the whole affair burnt in the more it became evident.  So I went back to what was sent with the ZR-2, the 5963 long grey plate.  Much better.  Talked to Steve and I bought a Philips long grey plate and a National black plate.

As the Philips settled in, along with a tube change in my CSP-3 the results started to edge into the ‘spectacular’ category and they continue to ‘improve’.  That’s not the word I’m looking for but I think it’ll make the point.

So more to the point, the results continue to go more and more into the ‘spectacular’ category and I think it’s now the ZR-2 modified that is changing, seasoning as time goes on.  If it stopped here I would be thrilled but based on what is happening every time I turn it on, I do think it has a ways to go yet.  When I get to the 200 hour mark I’ll see where it all ends up.

I don’t like to make statements that can be taken as absolutely ‘this is what will happen’ as there are too many variables, but in this case, if you are patient, I think you’ll be rewarded beyond expectations.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/23/19 at 03:02:13

Sorry about the duplicate post... something went haywire with the server at the time that I posted...

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 03/23/19 at 18:24:57

Quote:
You may have done this already but if you haven’t try EQ B, down position.  I just did, still lots of detail and the treble is better controlled.

The only way I can listen is with the switch down.  I get a nice bloom in the low-mids this way.  With the switch up things sound muddy.  I'm sure it's system dependent since most, it seems, like the up position.

I've wondered if my switch was reversed since by the curves I would think the result would be just the opposite of what I get.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 03/23/19 at 18:32:20

No, I think that's how it is designed to be, I think "muddy" is not the word I would use but darker, more treble reduction, lower frequency boost in EQA compared to EQB.

But with the 25th Anniversary modified ZROCK2 I find there is far less "muddiness" possible. So much more open and transparent. I wish there were a bit more bass boost, maybe it will come, seems unlikely now. But when Steve says the original ZROCK2 can hold back a system with 25th Anniversary modifications to amps and preamps I believe him now. The modded ZROCK2 certainly unleashes the sonic beasts!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/23/19 at 21:25:03

I would agree with both Lon’s take on it and Archies.  Because I’ve found it to be very tube dependant.  I’ve been trying different 5963 tubes both long grey plates and black plates.  With some tubes like the RCA 5963 Long grey plate the result in position A is somewhat ‘muddy’ where as with a Sylvania 5963 long grey plate in position A it’s ‘darker’ a little more jazzy (if that’s a word) and in many cases more tonaly correct.

It also depends on the source medium, with Red Book CD’s and the Sylvania I have it in position A but if I’m on to Blu ray concerts or a better better source medium than Red Book CD’s, with the Sylvania I go to position B and I can bump the gain up a notch on the CSP-3 calibration pots.

So one has lot’s of versatility to tailor the results to the variables that one may not be able to change, room acoustics for example.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 03/23/19 at 23:19:49

I don't know, I'm at the point that I thought today about sending the modded ZROCK2 back. It's been a while since I thought of sending a Decware component back.

I got the RCA backplate 5814As in and though I like to have a tube in the component a few days to draw a conclusion, so far after about five hours it sounds essentially the same as the GE gray plate, which is okay, good in fact; it may get a touch of warmth in a day or so, we'll see.

But compared to the OG ZROCK2 everything is still just a tad brighter than I'd like pretty much regardless of tube type. Sounding oh so good as far as detail and dynamics and instrumental character and texture. . . but just a tad too bright.

And then today I tried bypass to compare. . . and in bypass the channels are reversed! When I tried it before it was with mono material, but today stereo. What the heck? That and the wrong knob put on this is two strikes. The tad of brightness (and I have treble cut circuits on my amps!) makes me wonder if all is copacetic. I could put it in my second system and put the OG ZROCK2 back in and relax into listening again. I haven't had relaxed listening really since this arrived.

I'll give it more time. It's been plugged in 12 days and had music flowing through it probably more than one hundred hours. . . .

Anyway I can tell it's supposed to be a killer component and other than being a tad too bright it is. . . . I'll give it more time.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 03/23/19 at 23:25:03

If there is a mis-wiring then I'd send it back.  Who knows, something else might be wrong.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 03/23/19 at 23:37:28

It's possible. Sure is hard to send something back. . . . I may email Steve for a suggestion. Thanks for the assessment.

I've moved away from the 5814A back to Amperex 12AU7 which are helping just a bit, brining pretty much where I want to be with EQA nearly all the way up. But the tubes not warmed up enough, and my window for listening is ending.

This could all be a burn-in journey. I emailed Steve for his input as to whether what I am experiencing is normal with the mods.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 03/24/19 at 00:10:22

I run my dial just about full too, maybe 20 to 25 past the hour.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 03/24/19 at 00:38:02

Yeah, thanks. I think I may just be experiencing break-in. . . . I'll quit expressing for a few more days and weigh in if there's changes. I'm hoping that last bit of brightness goes away.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/24/19 at 01:00:53

Lon,

Sorry to hear about your issues with the new modified ZR2. I hope you get a satisfactory reply from Steve and can resolve the brightness issue. It's disconcerting when things don't go right.

My first big Decware purchase was a ZMA amplifier. The amp grounding was not properly wired and I had a lot of noise. I can't tell you how many times I re-hooked up equipment and cables, as well as moved everything around. It took two trips back and forth to Decware for Steve to find and fix the problem, but it was worth it. However, it nearly drove me crazy🙄.  

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 03/24/19 at 01:03:45

Thanks HK. I remember what you reported of your journey. Glad it's been sorted out for a long time now!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 03/24/19 at 04:44:53

Lon, when I first got my ZR-2 the by pass circuit was miswired.  When the by pass was engaged the chanel’s reversed and there wasn’t much of a difference between the by-passed positioned or the non by-passed.  

I talked to Steve and sent him a picture of the wiring and he confirmed that it was miswired.  It was a simple fix although awkward to de solder and re-connect.  I did it myself because I didn’t wan’t to send it back.  Usually I’m OK with soldering but it was really tight in that area so it wasn’t the prettiest job of soldering.  I asked Steve to check my work when I sent my ZR-2 in for the mods.

Once I corrected the wiring on the bypass switch the results changed but I can’t recall now whether it had to do with brightness or not I just remember it changed for the better, much better.  If that switch is miswired it’s going to have to corrected, no amount of burn in is going to change that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 03/24/19 at 11:40:14

Thanks for that info John. I won't be doing any changes myself. I'll wait to hear back from Steve (I hope) and go from there.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 03/25/19 at 02:12:14

I did further adjusting gain between the ZTPRE, ZBIT, SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks, and the PS Audio DirectStream DAC. This has given me less of the brightness by a small bit. And I also changed the height of the tweeters in the HR-1 with different isolation. And I am again experimenting with the P10 plugged into the ZLC. Letting everything run in over night I'll see what this sounds like tomorrow. . . .I'm hopeful.

I really don't see how the wiring for the bypass reversing the channels would necessarily influence any other sonic characteristics, but I will see what Steve says, I'm hoping he'll see and answer my emails.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 03/26/19 at 04:40:06

Today I received the first two Raytheon 5814a windmill getter tubes.  I’ve got 5 hours on one and right from the outset this tube showed that it is very different from the 5963 grey and black plates that I have tried.

Not too many reviews on these but the couple that there are seem to be spot on.  It seems to have the best of what the 5963 grey and black plates offer, at least the ones that I’ve tried.  I’m going to put another 50 hours on these and then make an assessment on these and the Sylvania 5963 long grey plates.  So another 75 - 100 hours.

They are the most extendended across the frequency spectrum of the ones that I’ve tried without being too hot in the treble or boomy in the bass.  Vocals are really good and may be the best yet.

Right now I’ve got the ZR2 set in the A position and its anything but muddy with this tube.  The highs are attenuated but very present.  If I were to nit pick I’d like to see a touch more in the mids.  I’ll put another 20 hours on this tube and try it in the B position with better source material.  At that point I should be able to get a better ‘feel’ for this tube.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 03/26/19 at 11:04:14

5814a are very interesting tubes. I've been using a gray plate GE and now a black plate RCA. Truly "life" in this tube type. The midrange should I think fill in a bit with some more hours.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 03/27/19 at 01:48:19

I haven't heard anything back from Steve about the reversed wiring for the bypass affecting anything else. To be honest nothing seems wrong, and further break in has really helped the sound, and I haven't ended up with any tube changes except the ZROCK2 tube which has an RCA black plate 5814A that is seasoning in nicely.

Vinyl playback sounds pretty amazing. I had an issue for a while and it just didn't sound as good as I knew it should and then discovered that though the turntable was level in one direction it was off in the other axis and when corrected . . . great great sound. I really like the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter--I'm getting the sound that I like as much as the ZP3 sound, and its balanced output with my Take Five Audio Deluxe Neotech XLR cables is perfect for the ZTPRE.

With all the tuning I've done these last weeks it's at the point now that when I flip sources between vinyl playback and digital playback I don't have to touch the ZROCK2, I just adjust the volume and I switch from "MultiWave" (for digital) to "Sine" mode on the PS Audio P10, and I can do both of those via remotes.

I'm almost relaxing into the digital playback, it mostly sounds fantastic and I'm so relieved. As John has said above the modded ZROCK2 really does show you what you have on recordings. A great recording can stop you in your tracks and take the world away. I think as this RCA tube continues to season (I'm using the GE version in my ZROCK2 in my downstairs system) I'll be where I want to be and can quit futzing and just spin whatever I feel I want to from my collection.

One big improvement for me was using four each of the VooDoo Cable "Iso-Pod" footers under each speaker--not the current version but the predecessor which was much cheaper, just had one bearing separating two pieces, effectively isolating the speaker from the carpeted floor. Of all the different ways I've had the speakers this one really opens up the sound of the HR-1s and the height puts the tweeters where they do their best and don't over achieve.

The ZROCK2, modded or not, is a system-changing product. The modded version will bring a microscope to the signal coming in and allow varying focus. In my system it caused a minor upheaval, not unlike the firmware upgrade to "SnowMass" did with my DAC. There was a significant difference between the modded and its predecessor, and the difference was chiefly in detail portrayal, and I had to deal with it to acclimate to the sound and presentation. I think I'm nearing completion of the process, and pleased to be nearing the end of the process, and pleased with the resulting musical environment.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 03/28/19 at 19:20:56

Email from Steve - my anniversary ZR2 is in packing and shipping. Expecting a call from Sarah soon😁.

HK

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/29/19 at 03:24:28

It’s been about 15 hours on the Raytheon 5814a wndimill getter in the ZR2 and I have to say what a disappointment!  Should you have any of these don’t install them, don’t listen to them, save yourself the agony.  In fact out of the goodness of my heart let me help you out... send them all to me.  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 03/29/19 at 16:10:00

HockessinKid wrote on 03/28/19 at 19:20:56:
Email from Steve - my anniversary ZR2 is in packing and shipping. Expecting a call from Sarah soon😁.

HK

Awesome H! It took two weeks for me to be gob-smacked by the modded ZROCK2 but it has happened. I now see what Steve was saying that in a system with components including the 25th Anniversary Mods the original ZROCK2 was the weak link in the chain. I look forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 03/29/19 at 16:13:25

JOMAN wrote on 03/29/19 at 03:24:28:
It’s been about 15 hours on the Raytheon 5814a wndimill getter in the ZR2 and I have to say what a disappointment!  Should you have any of these don’t install them, don’t listen to them, save yourself the agony.  In fact out of the goodness of my heart let me help you out... send them all to me.  ;)

Glad you are enjoying the Windmill Raytheon. I haven't tried those but am loving the backplate RCA and the GE gray plate, both in use in my ZROCK2s (the RCA in the modded, the GE in the OG). A great tube. . . full of life and character.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/29/19 at 23:29:14

Should have the ZR2 next Wednesday. Shipped from the mothership today. Come on UPS!

HK

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 03/30/19 at 00:11:14

HK,

You’re going to be very pleased with what you have coming, I’m pretty sure...
It’s always nice when things make it on the truck.
Happy Listening.

Best,
Scott

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 04/03/19 at 20:32:23

My little A-modded ZR2 has arrived 😊.  I've placed it in between my Dynavector phono preamp and CSP3- 25 for the "burn in" process. Steve supplied a very nice Raytheon 5963 tube with the ZR2.

To assist with the process, a stack of some new and used vinyl to melt away the listening hours.

More in a few weeks when I get a couple hundred hours on this.

Cheers,

HK

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/03/19 at 20:38:03

I predict you will be happy with it in far less time then "a few" weeks!  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #81 - 04/03/19 at 21:10:58

Congrats! I know you'll love it. It took me a few weeks to love mine, but I do love it now.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 04/04/19 at 15:19:26

Holy Crap, Holy Crap and this after only 10 hours of ZR2 burn in. Listening to vinyl this morning was an absolute revelation. The music has been elevated to a whole new sensory level - I am swimming in the sound.

HK

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 04/04/19 at 15:55:36

The ZROCK2 does evolve as it breaks in, no question, but for me, it performed just as hoped from the first note. It is an amazing addition I would think for ANY system.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #84 - 04/04/19 at 19:27:44

HK,

Did you have the zrock and have it A modded or is this a maiden voyage? Cheers

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 04/04/19 at 20:40:56

Slop,

This is a "brand new" 25th Anniversary modded ZROCK2, never had an unmodified ZROCK2 in my system before. Got the Type II cyro beeswax Jupiter caps and precision silver RCA's. It's full out.

HK

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #86 - 04/05/19 at 03:14:29

^ very nice. Deciding if I want to send mine in the the A treatment. It will suck to part with it /:

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/06/19 at 13:33:09

Some real ebbs and flows in SQ with ZR2 burn in. Compressed dynamics, soundstage shrunk considerably, really muddy sounding with anemic bass from hours 15-30. Sounds almost like a partial mute switch was flipped on while I was not looking.

Sure it will get better, but it's like listening to a music rollercoaster 🎢.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #88 - 04/06/19 at 15:53:01

Yes, that was my experience as well. Two to three weeks of use and it's so much better. . . . Hang in there, it's worth it.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 04/06/19 at 16:00:00

Thanks Lon. I know it's worth the wait, as will be my ZMA 25th anniversary modification burn in... when I get around to that next month.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 04/06/19 at 17:50:33

I've had two modifications to existing components--Taboo Mk IV and CSP2+--and the Anniversary Mods sounded great right off the bat and the whole components didn't go through the mood swings that the fully new ZROCK2 with the mods did! So I think your ZMA modification break-in will be. .. smoother.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 04/08/19 at 17:20:29

HK,

I thought I would mention that this breakin period with the new fully modded ZROCK2 was the first time in a long time that I haven't done the five hours on/five hours off thing with a new Decware component. After a few weeks for other reasons I turned the whole system off (via the P10 and ZLC) for three nights in a row. The time powered off seemed to help the break in even more and I've decided to do that now and then. If you haven't been powering it off for a while, it might well be worth a try.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 04/08/19 at 17:54:00

Lon,

Thank you for the additional break in period information. I am using the ZROCK2 exclusively in my vinyl listening chain (between my phono preamp and CSP3 preamp), so its not on constantly. I have been listening about 4-5 hours straight per day, then off for the remainder. So my full break in period (150 hours) will likely be a 1.5 months or more.  

I heard some widening of the soundstage this morning, but tonality is still shifting around and there's some muddiness to the sound throughout the frequency range. No bigee, things will improve with time.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 04/08/19 at 19:59:12

Okay, it's going to take you a while to get there! Do you have the unit unplugged or power not to it when you are not using it? That is what seems to have really helped the final flowering of the ZROCK2 in my system.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 04/08/19 at 20:36:36

Lon,

It stays plugged in 24/7 per the manual recommendation. I'll try unplugging a couple nights to see if it helps. Thanks again.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #95 - 04/08/19 at 21:45:01

It might help the capacitors seat and stabilize. Keep us posted HK.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/10/19 at 20:42:47

This morning after unplugging the ZR2 last evening I heard distorted vocals and congestion for the first two hours. Then (somewhere between 40-45 total listening hours) everything snapped into focus.

Music on steroids, hyper detailed sound with a massive soundstage. I felt like it was being shot out of a huge fire hose straight at me. I was almost blown out of my seat by the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" album. Transients had a bit of a hyper real leading edge, kind of like a ruthlessly revealing DDD digital recording.

I am hoping that the caps will settle in some more and smooth out over the next 25-30 hours. Then I'll spin some really well recorded piano and vocal albums to carefully check things out.

BTW, my turntable is totally dialed in now. Adjusted the level and VTA yesterday. I'm extracting everything out of those grooves.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #97 - 04/10/19 at 21:12:45

HA, seems like a good result. Unplug it again overnight is my suggestion!

The brand new modded ZROCK2 really took me on a roller coaster ride. But now it sure does sound really good with vinyl and digital.

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 04/12/19 at 12:16:55

I whole heartedly agree with the rollercoaster ride on this one!  Mine ZR2-A25 arrived Monday morning and has been plugged in a had music running through it non stop since.   At times I can sit and listen and start to hear 'it',  at other times it feels so uninvolved that I'm out of my seat within a couple songs.   I'm trying to leave the same tube for brake-in in although I do have a 6085 on the way, arriving tomorrow.
Initially on my Zu's,  the ZR2 had me questioning it synergy with the speakers due to the feeling that the tilted mid/low-mid-range was a bit overly exacerbated, naturally by the freq shift that the ZR2 pushes.   Last night that had seemed to 'calm' down a bit and was not as pronounced through the speakers.
 Here's to being hopeful... I really want to like it, and feel I will,  it's gonna take some time to beak/dial in....
  I think going forward for the weekend at least,  I will unplug over night and turn on again in the mornings...

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #99 - 04/12/19 at 12:33:12

Glad yours arrived. It does get better. . . I'm finally not "thinking" about it as I listen, or not much. . . . I'm very happy with it, and the original is really sounding awesome in my downstairs system. I've been tweaking that and with VooDoo Cable IsoPods under the CSP2+ and the Taboo Mk IV-25 and with all VooDoo Cable interconnects I'm getting really really good sound. (I had been using PS Audio Transcendent interconnects and Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet. . . which sounded good but edgier and slower.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print