Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 00:58:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DNA W/Alpair 10  Build (Read 2238 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

DNA W/Alpair 10  Build
10/31/18 at 18:41:07

I have decided to go ahead and build the DNA. I am using Alpair 10 drivers. I have also decided to build this first set using 1/2" MDF since I do not have enough of some of the other materials that I originally intended to use. I was going to use 3/4" Baltic Birch for the sides and top only, since it wouldn't affect the internal dimensions of the cabinet. Anyway, so far, I have cut the sides and cut 7" planks to be cut into the bracing soon. I have determined to the best of my ability the lengths of the braces, and am waiting for some angles to be figured out for me by someone who has that sort of talent. I won't be putting my utmost into the appearance of the cabinets, since this is more about if I will be interested enough to make a more serious try should these sound the way that I would like.
If not, then I will build a Frugal horn design that, even though it doesn't go as low as this design, are worth a spin as a second choice.
 More later, as in photos when I get a bit further into the build.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: DNA W/Alpair 10  Build
Reply #1 - 11/01/18 at 15:35:28

I am looking forward to seeing your build.
Fancy woodwork always impresses me.
All of those angles will be fun to cut, I'd want to do it with a CNC and calculate all of the stepovers to get my angles. I'm sadistic that way.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 11/01/18 at 17:10:39

OH OH,  You said 'fancy woodwork'. This is going to be one of those projects that I will take photos at certain angles, and then crop them 'appropriately' if you know what I mean.
 A long time ago, I owned a set of cabinets somewhat similar to these, as far as size. I am expecting some of the same results, and hopefully more bass. Pretty excited to get back in the shop and do some business.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 11/02/18 at 20:21:46

Most every panel is now cut with the appropriate angles. Thanks to Donnie for his assistance with this part. That is what it is all about. Man, as usual, the MDF is nasty stuff, so I am happy to most every cut completed. Once the glue up is started, photos will be posted.
I plan to make the cabinets out of MDF, and then place maybe 1/2" thick over them.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 11/10/18 at 02:15:01

A bit more work to go, but doing a bit of testing before I go further.

PB100001_01.JPG

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 11/10/18 at 02:37:25

Nice! I bet that they sound great too.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 11/10/18 at 03:08:09

Donnie, I have my fingers crossed. They are bass heavy right now. Not what I expected. Maybe I have too much batting in the compression chamber, dunno. But they have more bass than the FRX2/ZOB. The ZOB's are playing the left channel, and I use the switch in the less bright position to equal the sound between the two speakers. OF COURSE, I am not listening seriously at this time, just making a few comparisons for the hell of it. The Alpair drivers likely open up with a few more watts, but that will come later.They are muted sounding compared to the ZOB at lower volumes.

It is getting colder here in WY, so I am going to do the basics for the cabinets, and then finish them in the spring. Keeping even a small shop heated here is a consideration from this time onto spring. i have all winter to break in the drivers and find if these are worth the build.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 11/11/18 at 23:01:46

I will post photos when the speakers are nearer to be complete. Anyway, I wonder how it is that I am surprised almost every time that I break in a driver. I seem not to learn that changes do occur, measurable or not. In this case, yes the treble has come about a bit better, and the midbass is admirable. I have not cranked them to see just how low they go, and will not for some time. Very little in the way of peakiness or shout. I am inclined to say that it just doesn't exist with these drivers. Just for fun, I have switched from the Rachael to a little digital amp (with a tube buffer before each of them), and that is a combination that is tough to beat. Don't think that all I will comment on will be positive, but so far, this is as good as any speaker that I have ever built with little play time.
If I were to compare these to the ZOB, then I would have to say that they sound like the ZOB with the rear switch in the soft position, and have a tighter sounding bass. More to come.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 11/18/18 at 22:56:20

Hey, more (and final) photos until spring. First, notice in the close up photo, that there is a liner/gasket on the perimeter of the driver. This came about for the fact that when the speaker manufacturer gave specs for the hole size to be routed, they don't mention that it is intended that the driver be mounted with an additional 'beauty ring'. Supposed to make things look a little nicer and have the company logo which is not on the driver itself, but no, I don't want it. So, I was left with the realization that the hole was a bit big. Went looking for a suitable gasket to make nice with the gap. Guess what, discovered that a new leather boot string was perfect.
 The cabinets are not finished, and will not be until the weather breaks. I must say that all the pieces of the cabinet do matter, as the bass seemed to be even lower with the addition of the bottom plate.
As to the sound of the speakers in general, the word best to describe them is nice. Yup, I could go into some sort of detail, but the sound is changing as time goes by, and I wait for the treble that the ZOB speakers have. Maybe that will not come. In the meantime, these speakers do not offend in any way, other than in the lack of treble. Let's give more time for break in as they have only been played 10-20 hours so far.

PB130001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 11/18/18 at 22:59:16

This is a after the gaskets were cut to size, and pinched into the gap. As usual, the flash photo exaggerates the detail.
 After viewing this photo on the site, let me emphasize that the cabinets will be trimmed! and finished for a much better look. Hard for me to even look at this photo with the dust on the cabinets, pieces of wood protruding here and there, and no finish.

PB190002_001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 11/23/18 at 23:31:32

This may be about as far as I take these cabinets along. Black Rhino type coating covers some of sins of the plywood. And the unpainted plywood is more of an experiment to ponder until next spring. Turned cold here. No more woodworking unless it is really important.

PB240002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 11/23/18 at 23:35:28

I think that really really give up when posting more than one photo at this site. It's not just me either. It comes up again and again, and yet, AGAIN. No trouble anywhere else.

PB240001.JPG

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 11/24/18 at 14:02:06

The picture thing is all done with a flick of the wrist.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 11/24/18 at 16:34:53

[img][/img]?   [url][/url]?    

Little_bitty_horns.jpg

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 11/24/18 at 17:35:54

Ha! It is fighting me. It won't let me put the brackets in. [ ]  [ ] are what you want to use. The 3rd box from the left, looks like a little landscape pic.
Copy your image address and make sure your cursor is between the ] and [. Then hit control V.
It takes me longer to type this than to do it.

IP Logged
Scott in mich
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 11/24/18 at 23:02:21

Click "Insert image", then paste link
Should look like this (without the "Code:):
Code:
 [img]https://www.decware.com/newsite/images/se84ufo25c.jpg[/img] 

Sota Sapphire, Audiomods, Grado Green/8MZ, Antique Sound USA PP-1, Schiit Modi 2 multi, SE84UFO, Betsy Baffle, DSR IC's, Double Helix+
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 11/24/18 at 23:05:53

[img][/img]   just don't know what you are saying. but let me ask this, if I have jpg files and then load one, it will take it. BUT what if I want to load two or three? why can't I just do that? it is simple and works everywhere else.

With stuff like this, I can't Told how to do it. I must be Shown. Just the way I am wired. Yah, life is fun with a defective brain..... "I dunno, I think it was Abby something." "You,,, put an ABNORMAL brain into this beast? Do you know what you have done?"

Little_bitty_horns_001.jpg

IP Logged
Scott in mich
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 11/24/18 at 23:23:49

I guess its just the way the forum works but near as I can tell you can only browse and select one file to attach.

The method Donnie and I are suggesting is to include a link to the picture, which is the third button in the top row of buttons when you type a reply. If you hover over the third button, it will say "Insert image".
The link must be on a publicly available server, so you need to have it somewhere like https://imgbb.com.  That way you can post multiple pics in one post.

Hopefully I didn't make it even worse.

Sota Sapphire, Audiomods, Grado Green/8MZ, Antique Sound USA PP-1, Schiit Modi 2 multi, SE84UFO, Betsy Baffle, DSR IC's, Double Helix+
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 11/24/18 at 23:41:47

I think that it is the hosting part that is hard to understand.
Your pictures have to be loaded into a hosting site. I use Imger, it is free.
https://imgur.com/
You load your pictures there and then copy the image's address.
That is the address that you put between the brackets.
Also if you right click on almost any picture on the internet you will be able to copy it's address and post it here.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #19 - 11/25/18 at 00:29:04

Thanks guys for your patience and help. I forgot about those sites, as when I used photobucket back in the day, it was ok, and even worked, but then it got to be a real pain, and i dropped it. That was so long ago, I forgot all about it. Makes more sense now. I do have to say that this sort of thing still seems an unnecessary step. Let me try it out, and thanks again.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 11/25/18 at 00:51:20

So everything went well, but nothing happened.Yup, the address came up right between the brackets, and then when posting, nothing happened. All that came up is this text (which is a 'modification' of the post)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #21 - 11/25/18 at 01:09:44

Ok, I will try one right off of the Decware site.

Oh sure... NOW it works. What about a Sony product?  [smiley=10.gif]

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 11/27/18 at 05:02:42

Back on track listening, and enjoying the speakers. Here is something that I mentioned before, but bears repeating. It really matters what equipment that you use with these speakers. I went back to a D amp today, just to listen to differences, and nope, no D amp for me. The bass is tighter, that may be true, but the midrange had some of that harshness that I really don't care for. Even adding a tube buffer between didn't help enough. I was planning to give these to my son for a Christmas gift, but might wait until I can find an amp that sounds better than this combo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print