Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 06:52:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mullard Tube Factory Video! (Read 6067 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Mullard Tube Factory Video!
10/25/18 at 17:30:03

Cool find on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/GDvF89Bh27Y

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Mullard Tube Factory Video!
Reply #1 - 10/27/18 at 16:09:40

LR- thank you for the link to this great video! After over 21 years in a CNC machine shop environment, I love all the interaction between humans and machines. To realize that someone designed all the machines to perform each operation just blows my mind. Now to go fire up my valves....happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/28/18 at 14:48:19

Great Find, very interesting to watch...Thanks for posting

Received a quad of KT66's from Steve Friday for my MkIV, just switched out the EL34's, going to enjoy a full day of them today.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 11/15/18 at 04:25:34

Quote:
To realize that someone designed all the machines to perform each operation just blows my mind. Now to go fire up my valves....happy listening, Chris.

I can second that!  I would love to know who these hidden gurus are that make the machines that make the machines!!!  Factories blow my mind so hard I usually have to sit down.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 11/15/18 at 04:28:44

If anyone wants to donate a bottomless checking account, I could try to be one of those gurus... with that kind of money I could make a graceful zen robot that could hand solder a Zen Triode amplifier.  Just watching it build your amp live on video would be well worth the price of admission.  Hey... we can all dream!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 11/15/18 at 04:32:43

To see where I'm coming from, check this video on youtube:  https://youtu.be/SNy6fEuPWbc

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 11/15/18 at 04:40:18

Back to the Mullard Video...  to be honest when I look at these factories the money it must take is staggering... no wonder NOS tubes are so good compared to much of todays new production tubes from China, and Russia.  To give credit where credit is do Russia has no quality problems.  China does.  It's just that NOS tubes from USA and Europe and Japan just sound better and last longer.

It's just an amazing video.  Everyone who owns a tube amp MUST WATCH this video, it's not optional.

... Like seriously, who the crap made these machines?  I want to see a documentary on the men who designed the and built the factory!

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 11/15/18 at 04:42:15

Well, as entertaining as it may be, I will still place my faith in you, and the talented human Decware crew that you employ, to build our beloved Decware gear.   Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 11/15/18 at 04:50:15

That being said, for a tube amp owner, sitting through the 30 min video should be a rite of passage.  It is truly impressive to witness that capability keeping in context the era.  

And I can’t agree more with you Steve about NOS and new production, particularly that produced from China.  I spend $550 on a matched quad of KT88’svfrom TJ Full Music and got hosed.  They sounded AMAZING but lasted a mere 6 months.  They claim a one year warranty so I spent a chunk to send them back for replacement and it has been 2 months a no word. All my follow up emails have gone unanswered.  $600 down the drain.  

Oh, how I yearn for yesteryear when it comes to tube manufacturing.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 11/15/18 at 05:08:30

The "tubeulating" machine... 27:28  boy you gotta love it... who named the equipment...we need a documentary on those people too!

You are right, it is a right of passage to watch this entire video... it really makes you understand what goes into high quality tube manufacturing.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/15/18 at 11:46:43

You ask who designs these machines?
The guys that work for me do.
We design and build the tooling that it takes to build giant mining trucks every day. Anywhere from a special little wrench to turn a hidden bolt to an machine to test components all the way up to giant fixtures to weld and machine frames bigger than your house.
It is being done every day in factories and shops all over the country. If there is a need and a buck to be made, it will get done.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/15/18 at 16:33:55

My first design review meeting at a vendor in 1985 really humbled me when I realized that EVERYTHING we take for granted was designed and built by someone.  Seems obvious but somehow isn't.  There are a lot of smart, talented people.  (But with all of the dumb, incompetent people, it's often hard to remember.   Tongue )

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print