Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 17:28:03 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who has built a Bluetooth Boombox? (Read 7403 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Who has built a Bluetooth Boombox?
Reply #50 - 02/25/19 at 23:20:35

It went via USPS so it’s a crap shoot. Mine looks like it’s in a Chicago suburb.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #51 - 03/02/19 at 13:25:42

My amp board finally showed up last night, hand delivered by a hobo that was riding the rails and making extra money delivering for the USPS.
So I now have all of the pieces for my boombox in my possession but the weather is still too crappy to work in my garage. Snow and single digit temps, it is March for heaven's sakes! It is all grey and blah outside, I hate this time of year.
Weather rant over.
The board is tiny with real small connections, I hope my clublike hands with arthritic fingers can get everything into place correctly. A $40 board is right on the line of being too expensive to not worry about doing something wrong and blowing it up. $10 no big deal, $20 a little concern, $40 it starts getting real.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 03/02/19 at 13:46:50

I got mine Wednesday and hooked it up to an old Boombox with the same woofer/tweeter combo I’ll be using in the new box.  For a sub I hooked up one of my DIY DM945s (my new sub driver is supposed to go lower).  I have to say I was impressed with the sound.

I really like being able to adjust the treble and sub crossover/volume.  And the Bluetooth is way better than I had before. Great range.  Also with just 12 volts it was way louder than I need it to be.

I haven’t cut any wood yet.  That will wait for warmer weather.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #53 - 03/02/19 at 16:15:12

Well I got antsy and hooked everything up on top of my desk.
I wired into the 4" drivers and the 12's that are already in the garbage can.
Then I stole the battery out of my BMW in the garage and fired the amp up.
Not too bad, needs development and the 4's need to be mounted up, but acceptable.
I'm wondering what 24 volts will do?
And yes, I had a couple of McDonald's breakfast burritos and a large iced tea for breakfast this morning.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 03/02/19 at 16:33:32

Gotta laugh, the “CUP” is the first thing that caught my eye in your picture. We’ll call it developmental supplements...like Wheaties, but tastier!

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 03/04/19 at 20:06:18

Mad Scientist food.

I approve.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/12/19 at 13:55:36

Some progress is being made.

Take that Donnie with your fancy smancy waste receptacle boom box.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 03/12/19 at 14:04:58

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 03/15/19 at 15:52:21

i will mount the drivers and glue it up this weekend.  Not sure if I will have the crossover built to give it a listen.

Paging Donnie, paging Dr. Donnie.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #59 - 03/15/19 at 17:43:22

Palo,
I'm shopping for some serious tools this weekend. I might be able to work a bit on the trash can.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 03/19/19 at 15:57:54

I made a lot of progress this last weekend.  I got everything but the lid glued up and gave it a try and found a rattle.  Drove me nuts finding it.  The sub puts out some volume and everything has to be really tight.  It turns out it was the port (even though it was screwed and glued.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #61 - 03/23/19 at 15:00:31

Alright, I have a question.
I have a couple of different options for drivers in this crazy garbage can boombox laying around here.
I originally bought a couple of full range 4" parts express drivers for this, but looking at what else I have laying around, I found that I have a pair of 8" GRS Boufu drivers also.
I don't know what to use, really.
The weather has finally gotten nice enough to actually stick my head out of my bunker and start doing things.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/23/19 at 15:15:26

I am working on mine now.

Which 4” PE drivers?

You certainly have room for the 8”.

If you haven’t already played around with it you’ll find you have lots of flexibility with the amp to set cross over, tune the highs etc.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #63 - 03/23/19 at 16:26:21

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #64 - 03/23/19 at 22:24:55

Well I bolted it together it today, wired it all up and played it. There is a need for a LOT of development in the future. I'm not 100% on how the amp will be mounted and what to use for a power source.
Oh yeah, I might have a little resonance problem. It shakes like a Chevy Caprice with 6 15's sitting in front of a liquor store at midnight. Boomrrrrrrrratttttttllllllleeeee!!!!!!
Hmmm, maybe a lot of expanding foam? Or build some wooden backers on the inside.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #65 - 03/30/19 at 21:52:12

I spent a hour or so working on my "Industrial Waste" boombox today.
It turns out that one of the batteries for my new hand drill powered it up nicely, 20 volts of DeWalt power!
Stuffing it full of pillows and towels seemed to get rid of some of the unwanted resonances. There is still a lot of development needed in this area.
I took it out into my yard in the rain and sleet to see how it worked outside. Not too shabby, maybe a little too directional, maybe more drivers pointing in more directions are needed.
If it would only warm up for a couple of days straight!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 04/05/19 at 14:13:37

I am pretty much done with mine.  As I may have mentioned before its a boominator mini on the sides with a .5L ported sub cabinet using a Dayton Audio 6.5" sub driver.  Same 2.1 Parts Express amp that Donnie is using.

The mid drivers are Aura NS6 (out of production) and tweeter is a Dayton Audio NDF16 crossed at about 4K.  Some people have come up with alternate drivers since the NS6 is hard to find.

Here is the boomintor mini thread: https://forum.speakerplans.com/boominator-mini-development-thread_topic74610.htm...

I am very happy with the sound.  Deep bass, nice mids and decent highs from the Dayton Audio tweets.  My kids have officially endorsed the bass for their thumping exaggerated bass that's in 99.9% of their music.

Some of that is due to the amp's power and flexibility.  Great control of the cross-over point, and the ability to adjust the treble are big helps. I don't think I will run it off more than 12V, but I could if I wanted to.

The amp box on the top is a little kludgy,but it can be removed and used separately if I add speaker taps.  While its not as loud as my full boominator builds with the sensitive PA drivers (>100db), it has deeper bass, sounds better and is really light in comparison.  I tested it last weekend and it will fill the beach in Michigan withsound if I want it to.  I was concerned the bass wouldn't carry but it does to a certain extent.  Certainly if you are close to it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 04/05/19 at 14:24:53

I don't know what I would ever use something like this for, but if I did I would want to have one that looked as nice as that! Great job.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 04/05/19 at 14:29:18

Thanks Lon.  I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer and like to have halfway decent sound while I am out there.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 04/05/19 at 14:34:13

Oh I understand that, I spend time outdoors in the summer as well, just don't do recorded music then. (And if I did I'd have to listen to my wife's Judds and other country pop discs and no thanks!) Occasionally I'll take one of the two Martin guitars outside. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/05/19 at 15:04:33

This is my fifth boombox build and probably the best.  I have two others with essentially the same drivers that I am thinking of adding a sub cabinet to and giving them to my kids so they don't use this one.

The smaller ones are fine but lacked bass under 100hz.  The big one goes a bit lower but is 65lbs and doesn't have as good a sound quality.

Granted, they are no garbage can builds, but I am still proud of my work on these.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 04/05/19 at 15:06:49

They look great, definitely appropriate to be proud.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #72 - 04/05/19 at 17:22:14

Palo,
I am impressed!
Your skills are staggering.
I may move away from the garbage can build. There are too many problems to overcome. But then again overcoming problems is kind of what I do.
In the last few weeks various wood working tools have shown up in my garage, I have tons of drivers and the amplifier already laying about....
The best feature of the garbage can is the wheels and handle that make it easy to move about. Maybe the spirit of the garbage can is what needs to be persued.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 04/05/19 at 17:52:36

Thanks Donnie.

I was hoping that you would bring it to the next fest!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #74 - 04/07/19 at 17:49:53

A friend came over yesterday evening and we took in the warm weather and the sun sitting out on my patio. I wheeled the boombox out and blutoothed it to my laptop and started playing it.
After we stopped blasting it and lowered the volume to a nice conversational level the sound bloomed.
Nice bass and easy to listen to. No ugly resonance or anything bad at all.
It played for a good 3 hours on one drill battery, so I'm going to stick with DeWalt for power.
There are still many ideas to try before I quit on it.
I now have a table saw and router with a hole jig and a bunch of other tools, perhaps the quality of my builds can step up to what I dream up.
I'm cleaning my garage today, getting rid of a winter's worth of crud. My garage system is being downsized for a few weeks until I finish up some humongous speakers that are 2nd in the queue. My beloved quarter wave subs are going to a friend's place so that he can annoy his neighbors.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #75 - 05/10/19 at 19:24:12

I guess I am starting Boombox Mark II now.
I picked up a little Parts Express Blutooth board, just 50 watts X2 with no sub-woofer output.
It is now wired up and hooked to my garage speakers.
The best battery I have used so far is for my DeWalt 20V rechargeable drill, plays for hours.
I took a count of drivers I have available laying about, somewhere around 8 pairs, something must be able to work!
There are ideas rattling around in my head for what comes next. We shall see.

The amp is tiny, the size od a pack of cigarettes.

My speakers are huge, the size of a good sized man or perhaps a gorilla.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #76 - 05/11/19 at 16:40:27

Sometimes you just grab the first thing you see and run with a idea.
The highest quality Boombox goes with any decor.
Note the asymmetrical duct tape job holding the drivers in.
Asymmetry is all of the rage in high end design in Europe, or possibly Antarctica, I always get them confused.
It sounds pretty good, not as good as the Garbage can in back to back tests, but come on what is a cardboard Dayton Audio box to a Garbage can?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 06/12/19 at 14:14:59

Impressive Donnie.  The tape adds a certain some thing something.

I like my boominator mini with the sub so much (and my kid keeps stealing it) that I am tacking on a sub to a previous boominator mini build.  I am basically gluing a sub cabinet to the bottom of the original cabinet.

The cabinet is around .66L and will be double ported and tuned to around 38Hz.  I am looking forward to the comparison to my original.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 06/13/19 at 16:15:07

BTW Donnie, I think you and I are the only ones reading this thread.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #79 - 06/13/19 at 17:15:11

Well Palo, only the cool kids are doing this.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #80 - 06/13/19 at 20:02:47

Ha! I'm reading. . . just don't have anything specific to offer. Don't use or know much about boomboxes these days, don't DIY, and admire the skills of both of you.

Bet a few others are reading as well. . . .

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 06/14/19 at 01:20:15

👋I am

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #82 - 06/14/19 at 01:53:53

I always figured that the only people who read anything I wrote were invalids and shut ins. Like people in iron lungs or or perhaps being held against their will by nefarious characters.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 06/14/19 at 04:44:23

I read all this stuff.... Don't kick the plug!

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 06/15/19 at 15:50:21

Yeah, me too!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 06/26/19 at 21:06:51

I attached a sub cabinet to one of my existing miniboominator bulilds (because I liked how the other one sounded).  This one has a bigger cabinet and is double ported.  I don't know why but it seems louder and definitely has deeper bass.  Cabinet tuned to 38hz vs 42hz for the other.

Last night my daughter was using the basement where my listening room is so I had to stay upstairs and I listened to this and was quite content.  Its fun to hear that much bass out of a small box.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 06/26/19 at 21:31:45

Nice👍🏼!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #87 - 06/26/19 at 23:47:58

It looks professional!
You have upped your game.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 06/27/19 at 00:34:16

Trick photography.

I had to go with wood over cardboard.  I leave the true artistry to the gifted ones.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #89 - 07/02/19 at 23:03:11

I'm still reading this thread too!

But my shop (what's left of it after I sold most of my tools) is in the back of a vanline truck.

So...this is what my shop is moving into!

Ironically, the garage doesn't have any power I can use for my tools. So I'll be working on upgrading the houses circuit panel and running 220v out to the garage to start my new shop!

Till then, I'm living vicariously through you guys!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 07/03/19 at 03:14:38

Weird you got no juice.  Did you sell the big saw?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print