Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 11:17:06 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who has built a Bluetooth Boombox? (Read 7280 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Who has built a Bluetooth Boombox?
10/16/18 at 21:31:14

I know Palomino has built several bluetooth boomboxes, and I've been itching to build one as well. Has anyone else built one? Who was it that built the one with the great bass at Decfest? I remember something about a Dayton 2.1 amp, but I was so exhausted I don't remember anything else about it including who built it!

I think it would be fun to use this thread as a show and tell.  :)  

As soon as I get more info, I'm planning on adding it to my queue of woodworking projects for this winter.   Smiley

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Who has built a Bluetooth Boombox?
Reply #1 - 10/16/18 at 22:03:21

I have been eyeing the Parts Express website pretty closely since hearing the boom box.
It used a 2.1 Bluetooth amp board, PVC pipe, a 6"? sub on one end and a passive radiator on the other end and 2 3" drivers handling everything else.
I'm trying to figure out how to put my twist on it. Maybe 16" pipe with some 12's in it!!
I'm sorry that I don't remember who made it, but I'm thankful that he let me play my music through it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 10/16/18 at 22:25:02

The gentleman who made it what is the one with the full beard  who camped out in the backyard overnight.   I unfortunately forgot his name.  The cigar I was enjoying put me in a semi euphoric state Wink

The bass that came out of that unit was really good.

Donnie.....Maybe try using those outdoor cement cylindrical tubes as the enclosure.   You could fiberglass over it to give it some rigidity. Just a thought.

The last speaker box I made when I was in college was a ported bass box.  It housed an 8 inch single driver connected to a 60 W mono car amplifier.    It was actually not that hard, and produced really good results.

Just remember to pay attention of the specs on the driver. In the paperwork, it should tell you the recommended minimum enclosure space.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 10/16/18 at 22:42:34

Dominick,
You mean something like this? LOL
I have 2 subs in my garage that use Sonotube!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 10/16/18 at 22:58:28

Donnie.....

Hell yeah.....Great minds think alike!!  Now that is badass!!  I have an old spare Polk Driver laying around, I may need make this my winter project.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 10/17/18 at 10:03:01

If I did the sonotube thing, I think this time I'd go with PVC or whatever material they use when they run drainage along the highways. When I was a kid I asked a construction guy for a cut off and put a pair of 10" drivers in a 12" tube and used it in my early home theater setups (before I even owned a car otherwise it would have gone there). I've been kicking around the idea of doing that again if I can find a good cutoff of some 12" or larger tube again.

That said, unless some large PVC falls into my lap like right now, I'm leaning towards something smaller and all wood. Maybe do a long throw 6" that can go down to 40hz in a small folded horn, then some of the sealed box Betsy speakers.  

That might put it out of my budget doing all that, but it would be a fun experiment!  

Hey! Maybe make a tiny imperial SO like that clear one we saw on the workbench at Decfest, and stuff a 6" in that! Ha! It would probably be the size of a mini-fridge then, but that would be fun to try.

Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 10/17/18 at 12:34:53

A while back I had purchased a pair of low profile subs (I think they were Pioneers) that fit behind my two seater sports car.  Independently they were decent, but together they put out just enough bass to fill the car with great sound when the roof was off.  

Maybe instead of going with one big slamming driver, building pair or two of smaller drivers housed in a minimalist enclosure,  and spread them out across the room as “sleepers”.

I have noticed as I’ve gotten older my taste in the type of bass has changed. While I still enjoy the overly loud and slammin’ bass; nice low frequency and tightly focused bass is more enjoyable these days.   Now.... if we are talking about a home theater movie, then all bets are off.   I want an explosion to knock me off the chair!!  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 10/23/18 at 01:42:25

I of course have no idea what you mean by "knock you off the chair"  :)

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/23/18 at 01:46:38

That looks like something from "Back to the Future!"   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 10/23/18 at 05:31:35

LOL, oddly enough, I've heard that more than a few times!

I might have to paint it to match.

Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 10/23/18 at 06:29:46

Now that is one gigantic boom box....impressive!! I can only imagine how that sounds!!

I think I need to resurrect my old powered Bazooka Bass tube....I’m starting to feel “bass envy”.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 10/25/18 at 16:42:45

Ok, I've got more parts coming in. I've had the 2.1 amp for a few days now, but haven't been home much, so I've not even taken it out of the box yet. But since it's the season for me to be working inside the house rather than outside, I'm finally going to get back to reorganizing my garage so I can actually get at my tools and finish projects! And with that in mind, I did some poking around on Amazon and ordered the cheapest 14.8v LiPo RC car battery they have in stock, and a meter for it.

I've decided instead of agonizing over what speakers to use, and hoping/waiting for that guy with the killer Boombox sticks his head in here, I would just slap something together with stuff I have on hand...then when we get more info I can just rebuild my boombox with better speakers, or if I really like my beater boombox, build a better one with tweaks learned from slapping my first one together.

Yeah, that's a lot of stream-of-thought bla bla bla...I know, typical of me. But my point is I plan on slapping something together soon, and as we get more info, building a better box. And once Tom and I both build better boxes, I'm sure we'll be sharing parts lists, plans, and ideas with you all so you can build your own Bluetooth BoomBoxes. (I'll wait for Tom to come up with a clever name Ha!)

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 10/25/18 at 17:17:45

So has the challenge been thrown down? Are we planning a Boom Box off?
I can see this going full nuclear.
We need rules.
How big can we go?
Only using the little 2.1 amp?
Is it still a boom box if it takes a semi to transport??  
I need guidance or I could go overboard.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 10/25/18 at 17:27:40

That....is a great idea, Donnie!

How about this - here is the amp I picked.

https://www.parts-express.com/tps3116d2-class-d-21-bluetooth-40-amplifier-board-...

It's only $40 - let's say we start with that (or similar if you find something else you like), and it needs to be battery powered, and have enough juice to run at least 5 hours...think like a typical night around the campfire or grilling in the backyard or something.

Beyond that...I guess we could call it open class.

We can meet up this winter for some audiophile listening, show off our project Boomboxes, share notes, ideas, and post our adventures here in the forums.

Sound good?

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 10/26/18 at 18:05:07

I've also decided my 1st Gen Boombox is going to be Plywood.

I don't think I'll say much beyond that.   Smiley

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 10/26/18 at 23:37:07

I have my mind in full eviltron mode right now, devising a method of using drivers that I currently own. My 110 db garage stereo may be going on hiatus for the winter.
8" Silver Flutes, HiVi tweeters and 2 12" Goldwood woofers might fit the bill.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/27/18 at 14:19:39

Uh Donnie, it has to be carried by one human.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/27/18 at 15:37:39

Here are a few boomboxes I have built that are the well known boominator design.  https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-stab-ultimate-party-ma...

Each one has 8 drivers (4 woofers, 4 tweeters).  The big one has 4 10" pro woofers.  The small ones use the aurasound neo woofers that Steve recommended as a low cost replacement for the Tang Band in the original DNAs.

The smaller ones sound better than the larger one, but the large one was built for LOUD.  I have measured it at 109db.  Add a small headphone amp and it plays louder.  I have hosted beach dances in Michigan and filled the beach with dance music.

They all use the same $20 t-amp and LIFEp04 batteries.  They will play all weekend.   I bought a little Bluetooth receiver and use that where I can get a signal to play TIDAL.

What these lack is lower end bass.  I think around 80hz is as low as the big one goes and that requires some equalization.  That's why the one at the fest caught my ear.  Even at lower volumes it had bass in the 50hz range.  It was also light weight (the big one weighs 65 lbs).

The first one I built had a subwoofer and it sounded pretty good.  Unfortunately the 2.1 amp didn't have any circuit protection and I fried it.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 10/27/18 at 18:41:07

I wonder why I would share a picture of a 7 cubic foot garbage can.....?
Easily transported by one person.
Garbage in garbage out.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #19 - 10/27/18 at 19:33:17

BOOM!!!!!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 10/28/18 at 01:47:55

Dammit Donnie. This is just the sort of thing that compels deranged minds to build hopeless audio endeavors. MY plan used a 5 gallon bucket, and that is what made all the difference.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 10/28/18 at 02:19:00

My first plan was 2 5 gallon buckets. Then storage totes. Neither had enough volume for the drivers I am using. Then as I was looking at the Lowe's website  i had a epiffiny.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/28/18 at 15:25:09

We are not worthy

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 10/29/18 at 00:01:13

Wow, well, that does make it portable. This should be fun!

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 11/01/18 at 19:54:40

I have a question.
When you are putting your 12" woofers in your garbage can boom box do you hook the drivers up in parallel or series?
Also how do you tame the resonance issues of thin plastic?
Another problem is that it seems to roll all over the place on its own.
This thing is crazy!!

*Edit* While I was being facetious about how to wire this, I found out quickly that my sub amp didn't like a 2 ohm load, it is now a nice safe 8 ohms.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 11/01/18 at 22:14:31

LOL, that's so awesome!  I'm honestly curious and excited to see what happens, Donnie.

I cleared off my tablesaw and made a little room in the garage/shop to hopefully get to work on my Boombox this weekend.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 11/12/18 at 21:32:13

Anyone figure out what sub was used in that boombox at Decfest?  

I have a design in mind, I just need to figure out the bass drivers and pick up the plywood. I just had a revelation today and decided I will include a sub...I just need to find those drivers!

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #27 - 11/12/18 at 22:37:34

I'm going out on a limb and saying that it was one of these, I think:
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1139sif-6-1-2-paper-cone-subwoofer-sp...
He also had a passive radiator on the other end. I think that the math says that the radiator has to be bigger than the driver, again, I think.
You would think that I would get a book or something about speaker building since I've built almost 10 pairs in the last couple of years.
A little knowledge might go a long way.
Funny thing is that every pair that I've built so far sounded pretty good.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/13/18 at 12:25:23

Either that one or this one:

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-1138smf-5-1-4-paper-cone-subwoofer-sp...

And yes it was a larger passive on the other end.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 11/13/18 at 14:52:52

I wish those were more efficient for what I had in mind, but I think I might be going for that 6.5" sub.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/13/18 at 14:54:39

Seems that 2.1 amp will drive it from what I’ve read.

Your battery is going to be key (and somewhat expensive).

12v is not going to give you much power in that amp.  24v would be more like it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #31 - 11/13/18 at 14:59:44

I can easily drop an inexpensive 24v battery in. For my prototype I went with a 14.8v LiPo RC Car battery. We'll see how that works as my sub design is going to be really inefficient.   Tongue

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/13/18 at 15:27:46

I've tried about 4 battery types over the years.  Not a big fan of the RC LiPo batteries.  LifePo4 is what I have found works best.  Anything that works is fine for the test.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #33 - 11/13/18 at 17:09:44

I'm thinking 2, 12 volt  motorcycle batteries strapped in series will do it.
I need to get my enthusiasm back up on this project.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #34 - 02/09/19 at 21:15:29

Well I'm getting my garbage can project up and running again. I just placed a big order with Parts Express for some 4" full range drivers and a 2.1 amplifier board.
Unfortunately the amp is back ordered until March.
I also ordered a couple of real cheap 12" subwoofer drivers and some other 8" Bofu drivers for other projects.
I'm also finishing up plans for a pair of gigantic single driver speakers, the kind of thing that no wife would ever let into HER home.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #35 - 02/11/19 at 20:11:27

I'm very excited to see what you do Donnie!

I'm still on pause, too much work stress right now - I don't want to go into the shop when I'm exhausted or angry - it's not very productive and I usually wind up hammering the wrong nail or with sharp objects intersecting flesh.   Tongue

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 02/11/19 at 20:38:15

I got my subwoofer driver last week.  Like Donnie, the amp is on backorder.  I did find what I think is the same thing for around $20 cheaper on ebay, but a long ship time from China.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #37 - 02/11/19 at 22:11:07

This is shaping up to be interesting.
I can't see mine sounding great, but I can see it being loud!
So far there are 2 12" woofers and soon to be a couple of 4' full rangers. I will have some work figuring out how to keep it from vibrating the lid off as it does now. Sounds like a job for duct tape!
My order with Parts Express does have 2 12" subs in it, I paid upwards of $45 for BOTH, real quality stuff I bet. They may migrate their way into the garbage can. Trash in, trash out.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/12/19 at 12:39:37

Take notice gentlemen.  Donnie is redefining the genre.   A true trendsetter and visionary.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #39 - 02/12/19 at 22:07:32

Yeah I have visions. Just one too many motorcycle crashes does that to you.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #40 - 02/12/19 at 23:23:11

Things are now officially getting stupid. I'm in my element.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #41 - 02/13/19 at 18:58:44

Quote:
Reply #39 - Yesterday at 16:07:32   Yeah I have visions. Just one too many motorcycle crashes does that to you.

LULZ.

But I like "Donnie Vision" - it's like the grownup version of a 5 year old designing robots and stuff.  :)

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #42 - 02/15/19 at 23:24:25

Quote:
But I like "Donnie Vision" - it's like the grownup version of a 5 year old designing robots and stuff.  :)

I do seem to have fun with my little "projects".
It seems as though my ideas end up being a little on the original side.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #43 - 02/24/19 at 17:22:10

I just opened a email from Parts Express, it looks like my amplifier board shipped yesterday.
As soon as the weather breaks enough to make it semi-comfortable in the garage I will get to work.
" I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #44 - 02/24/19 at 18:26:16

I was hoping to setup my new stainless steel firepit today, and work in the garage a bit...but it's like crazy windstorm right now.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 02/24/19 at 19:25:57

Same here. In the heaviest of gusts part of an old tree fell over in the wild life preserve directly across the road from us. . . an interesting sight to see and scary when you think it might have been closer to your home. A big sound as well!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 02/24/19 at 20:03:12

My amp is on the way too.  

New stainless steel firepit?  Yukon ?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #47 - 02/24/19 at 21:01:11

Yep! My Yukon finally arrived!

Way too windy today to try it out. Grrr.

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #48 - 02/25/19 at 23:13:04

I wa checking the tracking on my Parts Express amp board. It left Ohio, zoomed past my home in Illinois to Kansas. I figure that it will next go to Kentucky by way of Minnesota to finally arrive here late this week on the back of pack mules.
Logistics, you got to love its efficiency.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/25/19 at 23:15:23

I'll check on mine.  I usually get things in a day or two from them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print