Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 18:19:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Jr. or MkIV vs monoblocks + preamp? (Read 6731 times)
Philco
Verified Member

Torii Jr. or MkIV vs monoblocks + preamp?
10/15/18 at 23:39:03

I’m sure this is a worn out question, but here goes....

I have a 2016 SE84UFO that drives well updated 1988 Klipsch Chorus’.

Of course the sickness is alive and well and I’m interested in what is a next smart step to take?  DAC = Schiit Gungnir, Excellent interconnects, even an upgraded Decware power cord, dedicated PC server, PS Audio outlet.
Very simple and uncluttered system, but I am curious if the next step is worth the jump...i.e. Monos+preamp? One of the Torii’s? If so, will it be appreciable?   Oh, my room treatments are under minimal review as this system lives in a room that is what it is. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s much more quality gain beyond the SE84 driving 104db sensitive speakers?

BR and jump in...

Sick Audio Puppy (aka: Phil)

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Torii Jr. or MkIV vs monoblocks + preamp?
Reply #1 - 10/16/18 at 03:38:39

Sick puppy, aren't we all....

If you plan on staying with the 104 dB speakers, then hands down, your next move has to be the Anniversary amp. No question!

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 10/16/18 at 06:16:25

Quote:
If you plan on staying with the 104 dB speakers, then hands down, your next move has to be the Anniversary amp. No question!

Zygi

I’ll second that.  I heard the 25th Anniversary amp at Decfest, and with speakers that efficient, the Zen 25th would play beyond normal listening levels. Adding a preamp with the adjustable gain would be stellar.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 10/16/18 at 16:51:30

If the Shiit has XLR outs, I would recommend the Z-Bit as you can take the higher voltage output of the XLR and convert it to RCA inputs for the Zen amp and drive it better. The Decware amps typically like voltage at the front end.

And I also would hands down recommend the 25th Anniversary Zen amp - There is really nothing else like it out there, and it sounds way louder than it's 2.5 (or whatever) watts it puts out. With your speakers, you're in the sweet spot for getting the most out of the flea watt amp and not feeling like you're left wanting.

Those two items I feel will take you big steps above your sound now, and at a really good bang for your buck, especially if you can part with your UFO and put that money towards the 25th.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Philco
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/16/18 at 18:24:02

Thank you guys (Zygi, Don and LR) for taking the time to respond to a fairly newbie with AES (audio excavation sickness). It sounds like I need to get the hammer out and crack my piggy bank.

Based on the consistency herein, it’s good to know that I have a path forward that should scratch a suspected itch that there’s more archeology I can perfrom with a decent degree of return on investment.

Again, thank you all!!

Phil

IP Logged
dvl

Reply #5 - 10/16/18 at 18:24:12

Get the Anniversary amp.

i have a Tori Jr., owned a Zen for awhile along with it, heard the Anniversary amp at Steve's. i drive Monoliths, which are very similar to the DNAs that were being driven by the Anniversary amp when i heard it. Their sensitivity i believe is 94db. With speakers as sensitive as yours, the Anniversary amp will put you in a glorious place.

David

IP Logged
Philco
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/17/18 at 00:30:57

So, my shopping list looks like this:

X1 Anniversary Amp
X1 Zbit
X1 Pair good quality XLR cables
X1 Bottle of Merlot

Am I tracking?

IP Logged
dvl

Reply #7 - 10/17/18 at 19:10:55

i think that's about right.

i'd substitute a Founder's Backwoods Bastard for the Merlot, but then you clearly have more class and sophistication than i do...

David

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/17/18 at 19:14:39

I would substitute coffee or sparkling water for the Merlot as I'm not a drinker, but yes, good plan. Put it into action!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Philco
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/17/18 at 20:31:04

Thanks Lon,

Ironically, and thanks to you gents, I just posted a Decware classified "wanted" for a low mileage Z-Bit. If my "Z" fishing expedition fails, then I will go brand new full wholesale. Tick, tock...

XLR cables search/buy is in parallel as well. I have Kimber PBJ RCAs and will most likely default to them for XLRs.

Once I cross those two off my list, then I will order the 25th and sell my beloved SE84UFO to defray my audio bar tab.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 10/17/18 at 22:13:05

Sounds like a good plan. Hope a ZBIT comes up for you. The waiting is the hardest part, so get orders in to Sarah as soon as you can.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/17/18 at 23:15:56

All the advice sounds spot on. The XLR cables? Steve uses and recommends the ones from "Better Cables". He recommended the cheaper one. I bought the bit more expensive "blue" ones. Silver wire and really cheap. Sound wonderful! https://bettercables.com/collections/audio-cables

IP Logged
Philco
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/18/18 at 03:43:31

Thanks for the advice Lazb. I took your and steve’s advice and pulled the trigger on the Better Cables basic LCR’s. So, another off my list!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print