Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:40:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lucid Mode in the Taboo Mk4 (Read 6943 times)
FullRangeMan
Verified Member

Lucid Mode in the Taboo Mk4
10/13/18 at 01:08:25

Hi all,
I found the Lucid Mode very interesting for any home audio amp, so I though I could ask a explanation here.
I have just read the owner manual and are wondering what are the Lucid Mode effect?

It enlarge the soundstage when using headphones?
Thanks in advance.

To whom more was given more will be required.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Lucid Mode in the Taboo Mk4
Reply #1 - 10/13/18 at 15:08:45

I really am at a loss to explain what Lucid Mode (and Extraction Mode in the Taboo Mk IV as the adjustable circuit controls both). I find their nature hard to describe. I don't use either much at all myself, but it's fun to play with at times.

I actually like its effects better with loudspeakers than with headphones. The Mk IV has variable Lucid Mode, which is an improvement from the "full-blast" Lucid Mode in the Mk III. I find a little "dab" most listenable, it does expand the soundstage on headphones a bit and does in a way change the perceived "mix" of the recording. This can mean tonal balance changes especially when "more" is applied. Extraction I use very little. I find that it can really change the dynamic picture of the recording by brining small details into the picture, and it alters the tonal balance too much for my taste. But on the occasional recording it can be very interesting, and involving.

Hope that helps. Steve could probably explain it far better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 10/13/18 at 20:27:39

It has been years since I owned a Decware product with Lucid  Mode, so I am only going on past impressions here. Like Lon, I actually found little use for it except for those times that I was curious to hear a difference. It would be tempting to have it as a variable setting on a headphone amp though.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
FullRangeMan
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/16/18 at 01:39:01

Thanks boys for your first hand impressions I appreciated.
This feature seems very useful in any amp.

The Lucid Mode could be a phase control?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/16/18 at 03:45:41

No, I don't believe so. It is a matter of information shared by both channels being manipulated. It's a very interesting effect that can be the cat's meow on some recordings, but most of them don't need the futzing with to my ears.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
FullRangeMan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/19/18 at 06:51:53

Thanks Lon for clarify.
Well if its not phase, compressor or expander I dont know what it is.
Any reason why only Taboo have this feature?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/19/18 at 11:40:40

There are other manufacturers who use "cross-feed" circuitry in their products, they don't call it "Lucid Mode," and it may well be differently produced. In the Decware line it is only available on the Taboo, and it may be because output transformers are needed (just a guess). CSP3 models don't have these.

I found a bit more information about Lucid Mode(s) here:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/Taboo3owners.pdf

I was wrong in that phase plays a part, at least in "New Lucid Mode" which is "Extraction" in the Taboo Mk IV.

Steve is really the best responder for this topic. You may try emailing or calling him about it as he doesn't seem to have seen this thread.

IP Logged
FullRangeMan
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/18 at 05:42:54

Thanks for help Lon, you most kind.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/27/21 at 14:33:13

I've been experimenting with Lucid Mode and Extraction some in my audio/visual living-room system with speakers, not headphones, with interesting results. Perhaps seemingly contradicting I seem to like just about 15 percent of Lucid Mode, but also Extraction at about 25 percent, both settings are beneficial for different recordings or sources.

Another fascinating aspect of the mighty Taboo Mk IV!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print