Send Topic Print
Power Conditioner (Read 11289 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Power Conditioner
Reply #50 - 11/14/18 at 18:22:20

Ok...cool!!  Thanks again!!  Unfortunately I won’t even get a chance to appreciate them until like a year from now.  

Il’ll use one for my HD projector mounted on the ceiling, and the other one for the Decware gear.

I’m tempted to pull the trigger on the ZLC, but I have my eye on the ZBIT.  Decisions decisions decisions.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 11/14/18 at 18:38:55

You could use them beforehand. . . I bought one from busterfree and he had incorporated an innovative solution to using them without mounting them on the wall: he wired a quality Furutech plug onto the supplied wires. That way they can be plugged into an existing wall outlet. Works brilliantly and the quality of both the wall outlet and the plug will influence the sound. That way you could use them and break them in before they are installed in the wall. . . Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #52 - 11/14/18 at 19:52:30

Wow... now that’s one hell of an idea!!  I have been using an old monster power center for my regular gear like my cable box.  It does the job but I know these outlets are in a league all of their own.   I’m gonna have to put these bad boys in service.  

I just contacted the Amazon seller to see if he has any more available. I will definitely pick up one or two more if that’s the case… And pass for the time being on the new Decware power center.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/14/18 at 20:35:05

Has anybody tried the whole house meter mounted surge protector?  My electric company has something that mounts behind the meter for around $150, I think.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 11/14/18 at 20:54:31

Or, what about this?  If it's used to plug a conditioner into, wouldn't this be all you'd need?

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/commercial/surge-protection-power-strips/sur...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #55 - 11/14/18 at 22:00:17

Lon, awesome, you ordered one. I look forward your scenario's with it.

I'm going to take Steve's advice and plug my PS P3 in to it (and/or Lon's discoveries with the ZLC).

Timing of the ZLC could not be better. I recently and still am, experimenting with.....from the wall power cords to my P3. I will continue this when I get my ZMA (25th~so excited) back. First though, the 25th enhancments need to be seasoned in with my known/constant cord from the wall to P3. ....and of course, 25th ENJOYED!

Then, my ZBIT comes in February'ish. I just need to review my budg'....to when I can order the ZLC.....to follow my ZBIT.

Steve wrote:
".....it pays to know that a power re-generator is a large power amplifier. It simply plays a single 60 cycle note (sine wave) instead of music. It is, nevertheless, an amplifier whose performance is affected by incoming power quality just like anything else therefor it would make sense to plug a power re-generator in the Zen Line Conditioner."

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 11/14/18 at 22:08:19

Cool, I'm sure you'll have one next year.

Myself I don't plan on plugging my P10 into the ZLC. I have the P10 plugged into a PS Audio Soloist SE which gives it surge protection, and 40db of noise reduction of several types of noise. I notice the difference compared to straight into the wall. The balun in these outlets are well-implemented and I have never rad of anyone saying they were detrimental, and I don't find them to restrict dynamics or alter the sound in unsatisfactory ways.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 11/14/18 at 22:18:09

With the soloist not available anymore...Archie's outlet surge protection idea for the ZLC, should not be detrimental to the ZLC? Then, of course what the ZLC is sending to my P3...the P3 has its own protection.

It will be interesting, plugging the P3 into the ZLC and using the ZLC directly (sans P3).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 11/14/18 at 22:23:44

I don't know about those surge protectors, could be good, could not be . . . . Steve probably has an opinion.

In my case I will be running five power hungry digital components on the P10 and if I plug it into the ZLC also an analog tuner, and then have two power amplifiers, two ZROCK2s and a CSP3-25 also plugged into the ZLC. That's a lot of current and draw on a ZLC. I'd rather have the five digital on the P10 and six analog on the ZLC and have them each in different Soloist outlets. That way nothing is overloaded and it will be nice to not be mixing digital and analog.

PS Audio Soloists do come up, and Ethereal also had their version made by PS Audio for them with non-PS Audio outlets installed (hospital grade instead). And on ebay there are several of the earlier PS Audio "Ultimate Outlets"--I have a high current version of that in my second system, works very well (plugs into the wall with a power cord).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 11/14/18 at 22:30:10

Yes, you have a lot of power hungry stuff. I will be fine with running my P3 from the ZLC.

Yes, hope Steve chimes in about the typical GFCI, et al...surge protector for his ZLC from the wall..... .
If no go/good? ....then, what does he suggest, or maybe, I'll be looking for a soloist..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 11/15/18 at 02:19:07

Hi Lon,

The fuse for the ZLC is 10 AMPS, however I will be shipping them with an 8 amp fuse so that if someone gets it loaded to 80% of its comfort zone, they will become aware of it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #61 - 11/15/18 at 02:35:10

The unit that was photographed during DECFEST with the "lights" is in development.  The idea was to display the current of each outlet across the top, the total current and the voltage at the bottom.  So far there have been two problems with this concept... the current readings are not accurate, the meters coming from China.  To make it work I'll have to scratch build digital current meters so they are accurate on low draw components like sources and preamps.

Really the only thing one would need to know is the total current the unit is seeing at a given moment, so we'll probably focus on that first.  

My thoughts so far with the prototype are that it will be expensive to get the concept to work properly, and in fact might be so expensive that it becomes impractical from a price perspective.

Rather than current meters, these locations could be used for voltage meters or lights.  Also it is possible to use illuminated switches.  The truth is that as some have already pointed out, the lights are a bit much in most listening rooms, and really not needed.  This is one reason why the one on the web page is light free, and the voltage meter is on the back where you can't see it.  The only time you need to see that is when you are plugging the unit into the wall, after that it can only be a distraction.  The other reason is because LED indicators might inject unwanted noise, and even neon indicators if not done right, so these are all good reasons why the other version is in development and not on the web site.  What's on the web site works well, is grain free and should make everyone happy when their gear sounds better!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 11/15/18 at 03:06:21

Great Steve, thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #63 - 11/15/18 at 04:16:19

The ZLC by it's nature does have spike protection, yes, but not surge suppression. Our tube gear doesn't need surge suppression or voltage regulation, and most solid state gear has that incorporated into their own power supply.

In the ZLC the noise filtration happens before the Toroidal transformer inside the IEC connector in a metal shielded case to keep the transmitted noise that was filtered away from of the inside of the ZLC metal case and away from the TOROIDAL transformer and internal wiring. Here is what that looks like:

From there we go into the TOROIDAL transformer and after being magnetically decoupled the secondaries are shorted across a beeswax cap which further lowers the noise floor.

A transformer this size stores a lot of energy, so it's ability to deliver a sudden release of energy to your amplifier is superior to the wall outlet. To get an idea the kind of energy, the TOROID ways about 22 lbs.  Drop that on your foot and that's pretty close to the stored energy potential : )

With a good aftermarket power cord and a ZLC you will absolutely have blacker backgrounds and way better dynamics. That was actually the reason for choosing a noiseless TOROIDAL that can handle 10 AMPs of RMS current.  This is far more than any Decware system even with 6 components. But, even at 10 AMPS draw, there is a tremendous energy release available when compared to the smaller isolation transformers, that get noisy if you draw more than 2/3rds the rated power and go over 4 amps.  

There are a many "power conditioners" out there to choose from. I know that if what you make doesn't actually make an obvious improvement, then people will be disappointed. To make an obvious improvement I believe that in the DECWARE world where everything is tubes and doesn't give a shit if the voltage is +/- 10 Volts, regulation is less important than isolation, and grounding is probably as important as isolation. Having everything from source to amplifier plugged into the same device creates a single-point-ground equal to each component and that alone would improve the sound of a lot of systems. And if that didn't do it just having higher quality hospital grade receptacles with high tension contacts and heavier metals throughout tied together with high quality stranded copper wire, copper jackets on the receptacles and close spacing to set the proper stage for a good power cord feeding a good amplifier.

In the past I would use always at least two of the small ISO500 Tripplite units because anything larger would have unbearable mechanical hum, so never was it possible get everything into a single ground point.  Now that I can plug large amps together with source components and even my commercial power hungry tape machines all at the same time without not only hearing loud mechanical hum, but instead of experiencing sag, the stored energy gives everything a nice kick.  And of course the captive power cord on the Tripplite models, while not a deal breaker doesn't do you any real favors either.  As always, it's just a product designed to solve my own problems which I realize everyone else probably has as well.

I am anxious to see what Lon and everyone else who tries one here thinks of it! Call it confidence.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 11/15/18 at 04:24:09

Although somewhat pricey at $199, you can also use a Shunyata Defender as a protective option and it may have some other benefits.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 11/15/18 at 11:05:37

Thanks for that information Steve. When received I'll try it a number of ways and see what works best and what is "discernible" as a difference. I'm expecting yet another area of improvement. Eager to see what both this and a "fully modded" ZROCK2 bring to the table.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 11/15/18 at 15:42:35

Quote:
... Our tube gear doesn't need surge suppression ...

So, I might as well just stick with my hospital grade outlets along with the ZLC?  Sounds good to me.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #67 - 11/15/18 at 21:20:52

I'm gonna upgrade my ZP3 first...then I need to save for the PCond.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #68 - 11/15/18 at 21:31:37

Thanks Steve for the great info. I'm going to order next Friday/Black Friday!

....ZMA 25th'd happening now!

ZBIT has been on the books since 10/6. I forwent b-Friday....to have her sooner. I actually wrote that in a post at the time I ordered. Knowing their was no guarantee you would have a b-Friday sale. Glad, you are once again! Thanks.

ZLC ordered next Friday.

So folks on the fence out there! Order your Decware of choice.....10% is an generous offer off....on this transformative Gear.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 11/18/18 at 21:04:00

I have a question for you guys in the know. I currently have a 10g dedicated circuit running to a set of Cryod Hubbel Hospital Grade Duplexes in my room. I plan to order a Power Conditioner and am wondering this. Will utilizing my DIY 10g 15' (3 conductor copper/Made in U.S.) ext cable pictured below which will be feeding current to my MyTek Brooklyn+ DAC, Sonore ultraRendu and 7v Linear supply, and Woo WA6 Headphone amp which will be plugged into the Power Conditioner have any negative effects? My Torii MKIV, ZROCK2 (25th), ZTPRE will be plugged directly in the ZLC. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Best
Scott

ext_cord.jpg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 11/21/18 at 20:04:47

After installing 4 Leviton surge protecting, hospital grade outlets for my HiFi yesterday I realized that I have a feedthrough outlet upstream.  I just replaced that one with one of the hospital grade outlets that I pulled from the HiFi.  Did this make sense or did I just waste a few invectives over the frustration of wiring wall outlets?   Grin

This is all in prep for my ZLC to come.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 11/22/18 at 16:54:38

I'm pumped Archie! ZMA coming in tomorrow. I have a couple of Christmas Tree's to put up and keep me busy, till she arrives.

ZBIT in Feb + ZLC in March! I'm hooking my Transport, ZDSD, ZBIT & ZMA, directly out of the ZLC from the get go. Then, experiment with my P3. Look forward to your impressions and Lon's.

Today? Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Almost time for a Colorado gummy Grin Wink and Surly Furious! None of this tomorrow, the ZMA is its own psychoacoustic.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 11/22/18 at 17:15:23

Take it slow.  Don't panic.   Grin

I loved mine right away but it got better with breakin.  My next will be to send in my ZP3 and ZR2 for upgrades so I'll have the full 25th Anniversary stable.  I haven't found the improvements to be a hit in the face but more of a tightening of focus and a disintegration of the barrier between reproduction and real.   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #73 - 11/22/18 at 19:22:17

Yeah, I felt like my ZMA took a full week of regular use before it started to bloom. Lately I've been trying out all sorts of tubes, so it's been an excuse to keep the amp burning several hours a day.

Give it time, and wait for that one night where you're like..DAMN!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
gwng8
Verified Member

Reply #74 - 11/22/18 at 21:40:28

So I have atma-sphere M-60 monoblocks, that have a 300 watt power consumption.  Would this be able to handle them?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 11/22/18 at 23:53:42

Quote:
Yeah, I felt like my ZMA took a full week of regular use before it started to bloom.

So, has it put your Zen out of service for awhile?  Or, do you still like the Zen better?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 11/23/18 at 00:21:57

Well, at 300W per channel, that's 5A (at 120V) and the ZLC is 10A, so I'd say yes.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #77 - 11/23/18 at 14:51:19

Will do Archie & Lonely Raven!

ZMA out for delivery....she's roaming in the area!

gwng8, nice Amps.....they are made just down the road from me.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
gwng8
Verified Member

Reply #78 - 11/23/18 at 17:09:39

Thanks.  Wasn't sure about the conversion

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 11/23/18 at 18:54:14

I just did the ol' W/V=A formula.  As far as what the total load a given circuit can take, I think the breaker capacity needs to be reduced by 20% (or something), as a safety factor, as per Code.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 11/23/18 at 21:19:53

Quote:
I have a question for you guys in the know. I currently have a 10g dedicated circuit running to a set of Cryod Hubbel Hospital Grade Duplexes in my room. I plan to order a Power Conditioner and am wondering this. Will utilizing my DIY 10g 15' (3 conductor copper/Made in U.S.) ext cable pictured below which will be feeding current to my MyTek Brooklyn+ DAC, Sonore ultraRendu and 7v Linear supply, and Woo WA6 Headphone amp which will be plugged into the Power Conditioner have any negative effects? My Torii MKIV, ZROCK2 (25th), ZTPRE will be plugged directly in the ZLC. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Best
Scott

I'm wondering about this as well. I currently use the Shunyata Venom PS8 which is similar. Any negative side effects plugging it into a ZLC?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 11/27/18 at 19:25:50

Hi all,
So the ZLC delivers 10A (1200W, I think) continuously, but the use of a toroidal transformer allows it to store and therefore deliver much more "juice" when called for. Does anyone know what kind of peak power can be delivered? I would like to use this to power my whole system, which includes a GoldenEar Forcefield 5 subwoofer, and am concerned with the amount of current the sub may draw when pounding out those really low frequencies. The rest of the system shouldn't draw much current, as I'm using a Torii MK III without a preamp.
Thanks so much for any insights/help.
Chris

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #82 - 11/28/18 at 01:12:55

All that has to be done is to look on the back of your retail audio gear to find the voltage and consumption.  The subwoofer amplifier for example if it uses a typical built-in amplifier is likely rated similar to this one:

It consumes up to 110 watts from the wall outlet regardless of power output.   So watts divided by volts = .91 amps, we'll just call it 1 amp.  Your subwoofer draws 1 amp.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 11/28/18 at 02:44:22

Thanks, Steve!  So that should be plenty of juice for my system Smiley
Just to be sure I understand correctly, is the ZLC balanced, like an Equi=Tech PLC or is it just using the transformer to filter/purify the AC like a Bryston BIT, leaving the neutral tied to ground like standard AC power?
This is all new to me, so I'm just trying to understand the differences between various PLC approaches.
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 11/28/18 at 15:57:13

Yikes; it seems I may have spoken too soon.  After doing some research, it turns out that my GoldenEar Forcefield subwoofer has a 1500 watt amplifier :-0

Would there be any problem with plugging that directly in at the wall and powering everything else with the ZLC, e.g. would I have the potential for ground loops/hum?

Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #85 - 11/30/18 at 02:11:45

If your subwoofer has a 3 prong power cord then there is a possibility although if it's not a problem now, it shouldn't be then either.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #86 - 11/30/18 at 02:21:06

Quote:
Thanks, Steve!  So that should be plenty of juice for my system
Just to be sure I understand correctly, is the ZLC balanced, like an Equi=Tech PLC or is it just using the transformer to filter/purify the AC like a Bryston BIT, leaving the neutral tied to ground like standard AC power?
This is all new to me, so I'm just trying to understand the differences between various PLC approaches.
Thanks so much,
Chris

It is fully balanced like the Equi-Tech.  The idea is to completely de-couple your audio gear from the power grid and your house wiring, anything less is just a filter.  Filters by themselves (which make up the overwhelming majority of power related products) in my experience have mixed results.  If filters worked adequately there would be no need for isolation transformers and or power regenerators.  Somehow "grain" that you hear in the music's higher frequencies always seems to get through.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #87 - 11/30/18 at 17:23:27

Quote:
Best
Scott

Scott, I realized nobody attempted to address your question.

The short answer - anything you *add* to your system could cause problems. K.I.S.S. method usually helps with audio power, so the fewer links/parts/cables/plugs the fewer chances of having problem. That said, it looks well made, and the only way to tell really is to plug it in and see.

ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 11/30/18 at 19:20:37

LR,
Hey, Thanks, figured I'd just go it alone...LOL.
I did a bunch of additional research and happened upon a thread on a Blog I follow. I pulled my "Ext Cord" apart and went out and got bus bars and cable so I could update it to the diagram I posted below. I took it to the full step and ran separate leads to each outlet, splitting the pairs to isolate as shown in the diagram with the yellow arrow. Got it put back together last night, took longer, (like everything), than expected but got it all into the too small box and everything seems to work fine...ie no sparks[smiley=10.gif]
I basically need to use the cord the way my system is set up so figured I'd make it the best I could. Don't really understand the total ramifications of doing this but it seemed to make sense and these guys seemed like they knew what they were talking about so I jumped in on it, figured it couldn't hurt. Guess we'll see, gives isolation the the Woo, the Brooklyn DAC, and Sonore ultrarendo that will be plugged into the box, the into the ZLC when it arrives.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated it and good listening!
Best,
Scott

ExtCordMod.jpg

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #89 - 11/30/18 at 19:30:31

Well, if they are all going to the same buss, then the "cross contamination" just happens there instead of at the outlet.

On a positive note, this forces you check all connections and make shure they are firm.

I don't recommend using the push-in spring loaded wire connections and always recommend using the screws. (see here for why)

https://www.handymanhowto.com/electrical-outlets-side-wire-versus-back-wire/

astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 11/30/18 at 19:38:56

This is an interesting point LR!  How would you wire to avoid cross-contamination at the buss?

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 11/30/18 at 19:40:48

That is exactly what I thought, but figured there was something I was missing. Oh, well, it's done and with torqued, screwed, solid wire connections so it is what it is and I won't be going in the box anytime soon, it's pretty tight now!
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #92 - 11/30/18 at 20:35:05

Quote:
This is an interesting point LR!  How would you wire to avoid cross-contamination at the buss?

The only way I can think of, is individual "home runs" for each outlet, including grounds(!).

Even then, all the circuits go back to the same busses at your breaker panel, but I guess it's less likely for the noise to go back up another line and to your gear. My thinking is that the noise, which takes the path of least resistance, would go to ground rather than back up all that line to your gear; which would have a higher resistance.

Again, all that goes back to why I think it's important to have a really good ground off your main circuit panel = lower resistance for the noise to drain. National Electric Code says less than 25 Ohms (if I recall correctly) - but that's only for safety, not for best performance.

astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 11/30/18 at 20:45:50

Thanks!  So, by "home run" you mean each conductor for each outlet would have to be wired directly back to the IEC inlet? Do you know if there is a way to measure the resistance of your main electrical system's ground to see if additional grounding rods are needed to lower the resistance?
Thanks again for the helpful info!
Chris

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #94 - 11/30/18 at 21:02:04

Chiming in again. At the phone company, where there were massive buss bars to deal with, the method taught to us about connection to the buss bar, followed that the quietest spot on the buss was right next to the main buss connection. Each noisier circuit was added further away. As I recall, there were occasions where a separate 'quiet line' was run separate from the usual connections to the buss.
The main building ground was never attached to except at the buss bar connection, so as to not interfere with it's intended purpose of being a ground reference.
Home runs are a separate run of each conductor to the breaker box from the AC outlet. This helps to ensure the possibility of contamination along the route of multiple connections to other outlets.
I agree strongly with LR about NOT using the spring connector sometimes used in AC outlets, but only the screw connector. Note that a better connection can be had by tightening the screw once, waiting a couple of seconds, and tightening just a tad more. This is the copper conductor being flattened down by the screw head.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #95 - 12/05/18 at 16:03:05

Boy, it sure will be nice to get some impressions of the ZLC from future users! It's an exciting product.

When I uploaded the newest firmware, SnowMass for my PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC I was thrown for a loop by the evolving sound (which has stabilized) and did a lot of system changes chasing the tail of the best sound. In the process I took out PS Audio Soloists out of the electrical change, and returned the power cord plugs of all my equipment to the P10. I'm really enjoying the sound I am getting as a result and have a real great sounding baseline to experiment with when my ZLC arrives. (I know that will not be soon, that it will take time with all the orders that have come in since I ordered one on 11/11--mine will be No. 2).

What struck me when viewing the new product info of the ZLC is how similar in design it was to the "Mr. T" line conditioner from Shindo. I am not sure if the Shindo also has a cap to help suppress the line noise, but it has a large torroidal transformer and six outlets, though they are not switched individually. The Mr. T has been very favorably reviewed. . . and it lists I believe over three times the cost of the ZLC!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 12/05/18 at 20:19:57

I did a little research on the Shindo, seems very similar and a 5 year old used one is going for about double the price of Steve’s ZLC without individual outlet switching...New...with a Lifetime Warranty. Speaks pretty highly to what a great value all the DecWare products reflect and the reason the wait is so well worth it!
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 01/06/19 at 15:54:06

May be to early to really know but I'm sure some of you have a better understanding than I do. How would the ZLC compare to an UberBuss?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #98 - 01/06/19 at 16:41:18

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any ZLC's in the wild - or at least nobody has reported on their experience with one.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #99 - 01/06/19 at 17:08:46

You're right Jeff, ZLC #1 has not made it to the build bench yet. only Decware staff would have substantial experience with the ZLC at this time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print