03/28/24 at 23:08:51 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Power Conditioner (Read 10404 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Power Conditioner
Reply #100 - 01/06/19 at 18:27:48

Of the 3 items I have on order my ZLC is the one I figured it’ll be here when it gets here...
 Now, with my MKIV in for anniversary mods and the Sony temporarily taking its place I realize how wrong that thinking was. Even with my dedicated 10g isolated power run from my panel with the Sony in the chain as amp it is like I have a built in tone generator running through my system, any dimmer, motor or I swear my cordless toothbrush 😳that is turned on results in some noise through my system! I can’t wait til build #12 hits the bench! I have no doubt there will be a substantial improvement for me when it works it’s way into my system. Meantime, seems like a good time to work on some isolation solutions during the wait.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
BernardIE5317
Verified Member

Reply #101 - 02/03/21 at 20:47:54

May I please inquire why hospital grade outlets are recommended as such outlets are intended to withstand the rough handling and mechanical stresses expected in industrial settings which of course no audiophile would subject them to. Kind Regards Cheerios

Spendor A7 and BC1 speakers
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 integrated amplifier
Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10 CD player
Bang&Olufsen BEOGRAM RX turntable w/ MMC4 cartridge
SKW 6N OCC speaker cables
SKW 6N OCC interconnects
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 02/03/21 at 21:24:57

They have a better build -- more metal and stronger.  They grip the wires and plug tighter and with more surface contact area so electrical contact is better.  Personally, I wouldn't go for "audiophile" outlets but Hospital Grade seem worth the extra money.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #103 - 07/20/21 at 15:54:16

Is a balanced isolation transformer still the preferred method for power conditioning, or are any newer filtering products in a similar price range capable of similar performance, like the AQ Niagara 1200 for example.

If a balanced iso transformer is the best method, would something like this balanced toroidal transformer (https://toroid.com/product/balanced-transformer-with-enclosure-1500va/) be significantly different than the ZLC? I’ve seen a few recommendations for this brand and could get up to 2000VA and 8 outlets for $900.

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #104 - 07/20/21 at 17:35:31

Puggy,

This is from Steve a few days ago about this:

A power re-generator, like the PS Audio, is actually a large power amplifier.  It has a built-in frequency generator on the input set to 60 Hz.  The high current output of the amplifier puts out 120 volts at 60 Hz.  

Being an amplifier designer myself, it is a logical assumption that whatever happens on the input is going to be magnified by the output, so a small power spike has the potential to become amplified into a large power spike.  While I am certain the devices are designed with lots of circuitry to prevent such a problem, it obviously doesn't work well as evidence of all your components having blown fuses, but not the power regenerator itself.

The difference between the Zen Line Conditioner is that it de-couples you from the power grid with a giant toroidal transformer.  Also all spikes and noise are filtered out before the isolation from the transformer.  It is a 100% passive device with no electronics or active circuity to fail.  If there is a spike on the input it is largely blocked at the input, just as I'm sure it is on a power regenerator, the difference is that the toroidal transformer is not a power amplifier and therefor is not going to amplify small spikes into large ones.

The ZLC is a Zen approach to clean power with the only real goal of increasing liquidity and removing grain in the sound which is the result of noisy power. The fact that it also protects your equipment and offers a margin of safety is just a bonus. A power regenerator is the exact opposite of a Zen approach, favoring great complexity that not only employs all the components of a fully working amplifier, but a computer and likely firmware as well.

In theory, a perfect working regenerator that is properly sized for the load, should work as well or better than the ZLC, but in the real world, I doubt that is often the case and if you want to see which one lasts longer, just look at the warranty.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #105 - 07/20/21 at 18:52:39

Thanks Geno! I’ve been looking at power related posts on here but missed that one. I’m steering away from power regeneration for the reasons Steve mentioned. They’re also all above my budget.

It seems like a balanced iso transformer is the way to go, but I’m mainly wondering how the ZLC differs from other balanced iso transformers. Im guessing the ZLC has that added filtering stage before the transformer whereas similar designs would go directly to the transformer.

Does the quality of the toroidal transformer heavily impact the overall sound, or is the main concern just having a transformer with a power rating well equipped to handle your gear’s power?

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #106 - 07/20/21 at 19:34:05

Just my two cents: I have a ZLC from Steve and three PS Audio regenerators.

If I were forced to give up one of these four. . .I would give up the ZLC. Each of the regenerators do something extra that the ZLC doesn't to the system--nor do I believe is it designed to. And I have not had any problem along the lines of the gentleman with the fuses blown on components at all.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 07/20/21 at 19:40:39

My 1 cent:  I never had a regenerator but the ZLC is far superior to the Trip-Lite I tried.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 07/20/21 at 19:43:21

Oh yes indeed. Far better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print