Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:28:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any experiences with Tung-Sol 7581-A? (Read 11015 times)
out-of-step
Verified Member

Any experiences with Tung-Sol 7581-A?
09/08/18 at 18:32:19

Hello. If I may, has anyone tried a Tung-Sol 7581-A in anything and have any opinions or impressions to share? Particularly in comparison to other current 6L6-family production. This isn't for use in a Decware unit (indeed I'm not sure if it's suitable for any) and I understand actual performance will vary, but some traits may transfer and as there's a lot of general tube experience about I thought I'd ask here.

(If unfamiliar with the 7581-A, tube depot offers the following description: "This is not just ANY 6L6GC replacement. The Tung-Sol 7581A is an upgraded version of the Tung-Sol 7581. It offers an impressive amount of clean headroom and boasts a plate dissipation rating of 35W.").

X
Decware CSP2+ + ZMF Atticus or Sennheiser HD-600 - SEC84C+ + Trapeziums - Pioneer 79DVi or Schiit Bifrost Multibit - WTT + Soundsmith Othello + Schiit Mani - DAG - DHC1s - BJC 10 white - IS500 isolator - Feline Gain Limiter
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Any experiences with Tung-Sol 7581-A?
Reply #1 - 09/08/18 at 18:49:05

Archie and Stone of Tone both have experience with this tube.  You can find comments on their experience with it in their ZMA's here:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1414696035/482#482

You may need to sift through a few pages to find all that has been said about them.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
out-of-step
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/18 at 19:26:19

Ah thanks. The search didn't seem to be working right - a lot of seemingly irrelevant results with summaries starting in "Welcome Guest." Glowing (no bad tube puns intended) praise there for the TS 7581-As. Also some good info in that thread on bias/voltage; will take some notes in case I get into that.

X
Decware CSP2+ + ZMF Atticus or Sennheiser HD-600 - SEC84C+ + Trapeziums - Pioneer 79DVi or Schiit Bifrost Multibit - WTT + Soundsmith Othello + Schiit Mani - DAG - DHC1s - BJC 10 white - IS500 isolator - Feline Gain Limiter
  IP Logged
out-of-step
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/18 at 17:00:39

Update: After seeing the impressions here and about, I went ahead and bought a matched set from tubedepot. After arriving here so fast some of their quantum matter may still be in Tennessee, I gave 'em a go yesterday eve. My impressions fully agreed. The amp evidently loves 'em. They appear well made. Daynamics are effortless. Most importantly to me, the tone and detail are rich and lovely, free of grain. Keepers for certain.

X
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 11/21/18 at 06:25:22

I put a set in my ZMA as well, and am enjoying them. Probably the best bang for the buck I've found for the ZMA lately.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/19 at 01:09:24

Anyone know if this can be used in the Torri Mk3?

So far Gold Lion KT66 are working well for me.  But these look like they would improve the lower end, keep the same mid range richness, and add some clarity on the high end.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 01/21/19 at 01:29:51

Yes it can.  It has a similar plate to the KT66 and therefore can be used in the Torii MKIII.  However, its plate dissipation is 35W which is higher than the KT66 and can thus be biased higher.  I have not run these tubes but have run the 7027A's which you can also run in your Torii with amazing results.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/21/19 at 02:00:57

Would the bias window need to be reset like you can do with the Tori Jr?  Or can it be used as is?  

I'm just throwing in my 2 cents just in case.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/21/19 at 02:12:54

Thanks Jeff, I will check out the other tube you mentioned as well.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 01/21/19 at 03:48:00

Archie, the Torii MKIII has auto-bias so the user cannot adjust the bias, which is unlike the Jr. which requires biasing with a multi-meter when replacing output tubes.  

Thanks for mentioning that as it makes my prior comment about a the higher bias possibility of the 7581A irrelevant to @orangecrush.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/21/19 at 05:07:54

Hey Jeff, for the Torii, which would you reccoemnd, the 7027A's or 7581-A’s?

Assuming both are Tong-Sols?

Thanks

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 01/21/19 at 05:59:37

That is a question I am really not qualified to answer.  I say that for a couple reasons.  First off, I have not rolled either through a Torii, although both would work.  Secondly, I have only rolled the 7027A's through my ZMA, but others have had great success with the 7581A's in their ZMAs.  

So, I really don't think you can go wrong with either.  If the decision is too troubling, just flip a coin.   Grin

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/21/19 at 18:13:12

Smiley At least there cheap in comparison to other tubes!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/27/19 at 01:20:49

The Tung Sol 7581's are sounding fantastic in my Torii MK3. Just perfect from top to bottom.  Only 6 hours on them and they are very impressive. The only thing I would a little more of is some wide-range bloom/sweetness, but that might come with some more hours?

BTW, I am very impressed with this seller on Ebay. Husband and wife business. Definitely will be supporting them more. Guitar amp people.

They have very strict standards when it comes to matching. 5% for plate current AND 10% for transconductance.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-4x-Tung-Sol-7581A-Matched-Quad-Quartet-Four-Tubes-Fr...

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #14 - 12/25/22 at 17:54:58

I’ve seen this tube on TubeDepot’s daily sale offerings several times & seeing as my 6FLV-v came with 2 new production Tung Sol 6L6 tubes from Mr. Had, curiosity took over. They were under $30 each & dated 6th week of 22. They are a solid workhorse of a tube & love to be cranked. In my SEP Shanling  is where they really shine. Flooring the volume wasn’t a useful option before but now somehow is. As a side note, the Svetlana flying C NOS tubes used to be my $$ favorites, both Tungs are nice but I am now on a Relflector 6P3S-E “coin base” kick.

Mama, let that boy play some rock & roll,  Ralph

delete repeated words

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
DAKO
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 01/20/23 at 23:28:33

I love this tube in my ZMA. It presents a much better soundstage than the KT66 and the bass seems tighter. Just ordered anew set from tube depot.

Dave

Decware ZMA
Omega Super 8 XRS
Omega 8” sub in a CAM enclosure
Esoteric K-07
PI Audio UberBuss
Acoustic Zen Speaker cables
Decware IC's
ELF gold IC’s (current)
Decware Power cables
TimberNation Rack
Mapleshade Speaker platforms
Mapleshape isolation and H
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #16 - 01/27/23 at 23:56:28

DAKO, which flavor did you choose? The new production Tung or U.S. made nos ?  If the latter,
    Smiley

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
DAKO
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 01/28/23 at 02:42:35

BlackBess,
    I use the Tung Sols. As much as I would like to buy the US versions, my mind can’t absorb spending that much money at the moment.

Thanks
Dave

Decware ZMA
Omega Super 8 XRS
Omega 8” sub in a CAM enclosure
Esoteric K-07
PI Audio UberBuss
Acoustic Zen Speaker cables
Decware IC's
ELF gold IC’s (current)
Decware Power cables
TimberNation Rack