Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Decfest 2018 (Read 40998 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest 2018
Reply #50 - 10/12/18 at 01:14:56

LR, good that you dropped off our ZMA for THE overhaul!   Cheesy

Can you say what Steve puts between the slabs in, what I assume is, his isolation platform?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 10/12/18 at 01:19:07

Quote:
Bob updated his HR-1 speakers with a brand-new top driver that is for the first time completely crossover-less!  The update has shoved the sound quality up a whole plateau.  Driven reasonably well by the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier... I should say driven perfectly up to a normal listening volume without clipping but not a single dB more.  The ZMA and TORII's were simply magical with these new speakers.

So, a natural inquiry is, can the older HR1s be upgraded (relatively easily) without sending them back and at what cost?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #52 - 10/12/18 at 01:30:51

Quote:
So, a natural inquiry is, can the older HR1s be upgraded (relatively easily) without sending them back and at what cost?

I did read in Steve's post that current HR-1 speakers can be upgraded - no pricing mentioned yet.   He also mentioned sending them back to Decware for the upgrade, but he did not specifically state they could not be user upgraded if a parts kit was made available.  Shipping speakers has to be at the top of the list of  the worst equipment types to ship back.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 10/12/18 at 02:04:58

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JAG
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 10/12/18 at 12:18:51

Thank you!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 10/12/18 at 12:33:48

This is mostly from Friday night to Saturday noon.  Lots of good music shared.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 10/12/18 at 12:46:52

Archie wrote on 10/12/18 at 01:19:07:

In a PM to me a few weeks back Bob noted that he had hoped to make the mods "user upgradeable" but didn't feel that they were. But then again he was talking to ME who he knew did not have the requisite tools and skill sets.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #57 - 10/12/18 at 14:50:03

What still can’t get out of my head (or body for that matter) was when we turned the couch around to listen and demo the Imperial SO through the Torii Mono’s.

The track “ Flight of the Cosmic Hippo”  by Belafleck gave a whole new meaning to deep low bass.  While sitting on the couch and having my feet on the floor, I was able to feel the bass through my sneakers....WOW !! Grin.   Now that’s the bass I love to experience!!

Next up was track “Takla Makan” from Yello.  Talk about clarity, detail, and black backgrounds. I closed my eyes and just took it all in.  This was my Decfest out of body experience!

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 10/12/18 at 15:23:27

Great pictures Eric, thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed seeing the Decware "conditioner." Looking forward to information on that.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/12/18 at 15:31:19

I added those two songs to the Decfest TIDAL playlist.  Keep them coming!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #60 - 10/12/18 at 15:36:00

Quote:
I added those two songs to the Decfest TIDAL playlist.  Keep them coming!

Bless your heart Pal!  Great list and if it continues to populate... Wow!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 10/12/18 at 15:37:14

Just added the Squirrel Hillbillies.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/12/18 at 16:08:42

Quote:
Shipping speakers has to be at the top of the list of  the worst equipment types to ship back.

Amen!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 10/12/18 at 16:10:04

I know. That was the major reason why I decided not to go with the HR-1 mod at this time. That and I need to watch my dollars, and also I keep telling myself how happy I am with the system that I built around my HR-1s. I'm going to live up to my word a while longer.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #64 - 10/15/18 at 15:06:45

Archie

The answer to your question is....Maybe.

As I looked at all the possibilities, some of the HR's would be a little more DIY friendly, and others not.

At first, I figured none would be a DIY possibility, but when I went to do Steve's pair. it was obvious, with his pair, that it could be doable.

In a few days, in the HR forum I'll try to explain what the differences are and how we can tell which one would be able to be DIY'ed.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 10/15/18 at 15:46:24

Potentially good news!  You made my HR1s in the Fall of 2014.  I've certainly never tried taking them apart but I assume they must.  While no wiz with a soldering iron, I'm sure I could pull off some of that in addition to   disassembly and reassembly if just fasteners are involved.  

Any if not, they are pretty fantastic as is.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #66 - 10/15/18 at 20:51:58

The HR-1 Mod is worth the update if you can have it done. I really enjoyed listening to them!

I'm hoping Steve didn't forget my ZMA under the bench and I'm appropriately in the queue for upgrades. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 25th Anniversary mod sounds at home in my setup!

Funny sidenote - I did finally get my Modded Zen amp and El Camino speakers back from Palomino - but I had dug out some vintage-hand-me-down Bose 6.2 speakers and connected them to my Zen while I'm still working on installing flooring....And Wow! I can hardly believe how the Zen amp wakes these tired old clunky speakers up! I can only imagine what a full on 25th Anniversary Zen would do to these old speakers. It just reminds me how truly amazing this amp, especially this latest version is.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 10/15/18 at 20:55:40

+1 on Ravens  comments on the modded HR-1s.

We may have to have an Amp-off come December when you get your amp back on Aaron gets his 25th.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #68 - 10/15/18 at 20:59:50

Quote:
LR, good that you dropped off our ZMA for THE overhaul!   Cheesy

Can you say what Steve puts between the slabs in, what I assume is, his isolation platform?

Archie,

Apparently Bob builds the slabs, but Steve finishes them in house.

Looking on the underside I see what looks to be a large puck of what appears to be epoxy. Peeking between the two layers appears to be a ring of some sort, and I believe a similar puck inside the ring. Bob Didn't know what's inside the pucks, he just made the slabs to Spec and Steve did the rest.

I'm speculating it's some sort of interference filter and weight. I think Steve said something about each base is built specifically for the intended amp. They are quite beautiful, but I can only speculate on what they are doing, besides holding the amp up.  :)  

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 10/15/18 at 21:01:24

I used my Zen amp #27 and my Select for quite a spell of time with Bose 6.2 speakers, it's a decent combination. Blast from the past for me to see you mention that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #70 - 10/15/18 at 21:21:00

Quote:
I used my Zen amp #27 and my Select for quite a spell of time with Bose 6.2 speakers, it's a decent combination. Blast from the past for me to see you mention that.

I know people like to knock Bose, but for general "I'm doing chores around the house and want good music to fill the rooms", the 6.2 really hold up well!  And this pair my Dad gave me were used in his living room for 15 or so years, used in a recording studio for a bit, the grills are all clawed up by cats and there is melted wax from candles on them...these are truly well used vintage.

Quote:
+1 on Ravens  comments on the modded HR-1s.

We may have to have an Amp-off come December when you get your amp back on Aaron gets his 25th.

I'm not sure I'd want to put my ZMA up against an actual 25th Anniversary amp! I'm sure the ZMA will be great, but having the two amps side by side will just remind me of what the Zen can do that the ZMA can't! But it would be nice to see, in our "controlled setup", what the differences are between the two, and how close the Modded Mystery Amp can get!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 11/02/18 at 15:37:22

Another playlist.  This one contains the songs Steve referenced in the 25th Ann Zen build thread:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/7a15fde2-6fbd-4cf9-8741-dbb400361dd5

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #72 - 11/02/18 at 18:19:46

Hey Pal,
Is this the same playlist you posted a couple weeks ago?  

I really dig these playlists you are creating.  Please keep 'em coming Smiley   And Thank You Much!!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 11/02/18 at 18:30:05

I just did this one the other night.  

I reviewed Steve's posts in the 25th anniversary Zen development thread and looked up all the songs he mentioned.  I like many of them and they are all good for testing your system.  You can review Steve's comments about each song and how it sounded on his system and compare to your own.

I posted it in that development thread but I didn't see that thread getting much action any more since the design is set so I brought it over to this thread.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print