Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 00:30:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using two sets of speakers side by side... (Read 2649 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Using two sets of speakers side by side...
09/08/18 at 00:53:14

It's been a while that I have not posted anything.  After quitting my job as a partner at EY at the end of June, I had a two-month vacation in Turkey and Greece by the sea!

Anyway, back to business now...  I recently moved to a new place where I have only one large room to set my equipment.  As I have two sets of speakers and two amps (SE84UFO and a push-pull Copland), I would like to use both of them, but they require two separate sets of speakers in my case.  My question is "would putting the speakers side-by-side affect each other?"  I am driving my 91dB B&W's with the UFO and my relatively less efficient ProAc's with the Copland, both of which I cannot give up.  

I would appreciate any ideas!  :)

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Using two sets of speakers side by side...
Reply #1 - 09/08/18 at 19:05:55

Alper,

While I have heard ill effects with speakers side by side, it's not saying it wouldn't work.

Years ago, a customer was coming to my place to pick up his HR-1's and I placed the 2 speakers side by side, and with a remote switch I was able to toggle back and forth the two pairs.

For some reason, the outside pair (my original pair) sounded great while the inner pair was anemic sounding at best.  So much so, I tore the new speakers apart thinking I had missed something in the crossover. Only to find nothing wrong. Granted, your first thought would have been break-in, as my pair had many hours on them. Not the case here!

After reassembling them, for some odd reason I switched location of the two sets and the outer pair, which was the new pair, was the better sounding set.  

On the other hand, a few years before that, at Steve's old place we decided to neaten up the location for all the speakers by building a platform off to one side to keep th speakers not being played. We used to just have them all up on one larger platform and pull forward the speakers we wanted to listen to. When we finally sat down for a listen, it didn't take either of us too long to notice a huge change in the way things sounded. In this case, the single speaker sounded worse. So we went back to keeping most of the speakers on the large platform and thinning the herd, by placing just a few on the side platform.

Hope this helps,
Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/10/18 at 02:11:29

Assuming there are no grills on the speakers, I often noticed a sympathetic action of the woofers on the speakers that were not energized at the time... I'm assuming that this action was 180 degrees out of phase with the driven woofers...  So, in essence, they were acting as passive radiators... But only at very low frequencies, as far as I could tell... And not always to good effect, as far as I could hear...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/18 at 03:03:33

Dear Zygi and Mark,

Thanks for the insight.  I will have to try and see, yet it already looks weird in my room.  As this is not a dedicated listening room, having two sets of speakers side by side is not aesthetically appealing (at least, to me).  The thing is I cannot get rid of either of the amps.  I am willing to get rid of the B&W's, but then my ProAc's are not very efficient and the SE84UFO would struggle driving them even though I loved the sound of the combination at the expense of volume.  

Anyway, thanks again...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables