Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Radio ?
Reply #51 - 09/11/18 at 02:10:47

For my 1,000 post, I am choosing this thread to respond to. A long time ago, I was led up a small hilltop, where lived a sort of hermit. My friend wanted me to meet him since he and I might have like minds. As expected, this man lived alone with very little material surroundings. His love was for AM radio, because of the experiments that he had done with antennas. The most memorable set up was in the middle of his dwelling, in which stood a wooden stand holding a stiff circular shaped wire. It's diameter was maybe 2 or 3 feet and was cut in the middle, leaving a gap of maybe 1/2 inch out of the circle. On each end of the cut out piece was a small marble sized sphere. The spheres themselves were almost touching, and this created the variable capacitance needed for tuning. Lastly was a String loop tied across the middle of the circular wire. It had been twisted to a point that it caused the distance of the spheres to draw closer or further apart from each other. Adjustment of the string tension was held in place by a wooden stick, much the same as you might see on old barbed wire fences to adjust the tension of the corner post wires. Simplicity, imagination, and the love of the waves sounding in the room, made even a simple broadcast seem miraculous. I cannot forget the magic people here and there who lived in this village.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #52 - 09/12/18 at 00:52:24

Post #1001..........  really, this thread deserves one more story. Last story was when I was 45 or so. This one goes back to about age 10.
 In my small cow town in Wyoming, there was a population of 4,300 people. The town was maybe 1 1/2 miles long, and at on the east end was a small convenience store. It was the kind that had a wooden screen door, sold sweet corn in a basket, and Coke-a-Cola from a red vending machine that laid longways on the floor. The cash register had a hand crank that rang a bell when you turned it full circle. The only reason that this store matters here is because it had a second floor, an apartment actually where the owners used to live. There was a long set of white wooden stairs to it's door. I was wasting my own time out back on a summer afternoon when a man approached me from the stairs. "Hey kid, you wanna see something neat?" Not the words that kids these days would be comfortable with, but this was a different time. Without answer, I followed him up the stairs and into the junky little apartment. It was a short wave radio that he had going, and I was all eyes and ears. I didn't understand much of what he said, or how the radio operated, but I did know that there were voices on the other end from far away. This started my love of radio, and I dreamed of owning a Lafayette Radio some day. Interestingly, 4 decades later, I bought a house across the street from that old site. It's been torn down, and a Pizza Hut is in it's place. You can't tell many people about these things that it matters to at all. Just a few special grand kids with that look of amazement in their eyes, as they watch my tube amp glow.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 09/12/18 at 23:40:39

Times change but we have our memories

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #54 - 09/14/18 at 20:54:24

A big thanks to Dana for the sale of his Kenwood tuner to me. It was one of the best parts of my week. The signal has been tamed of noise, and the one station that I really like comes in just fine... Of course, you guys realize that it is just a matter of time before I open up the tuner and replace old electrolytic caps and more to get it back to pristine condition.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 09/19/18 at 19:38:32

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #56 - 09/19/18 at 21:01:35

And THAT my friends, is why I am popping the top of the 'new' tuner and replacing caps, etc. Long live FM.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 09/19/18 at 21:14:00

Amen. No Alexa in this house.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #58 - 09/20/18 at 05:59:12

I recently visited the rock ‘n’ roll Hall of Fame in Ohio. They have a section with the evolution of the radio which was actually very cool to see in person. At 46 I am lucky enough to remember the older radios  like my grandfather had in a wooden cabinet with black control knobs.  

There is something to be said for the manual hands on approach that goes into tuning into a radio station.   It’s sort of gave you a connection with the station and the people on the air.  

I can remember as a kid that dad would take me to my uncle’s tailor shop, where AM radio was the only thing that we listened to.  Unfortunately talk radio is no longer mainstream like it was in the past, but the memories are still great!!

While I have the latest and greatest technology at my disposal in my car to listen to Spotify, CDs, or my own music on my iPhone, I still enjoy listening to the radio.   Most of the time I listen to the classical station 105.9 WQXR out in New Jersey, especially when I have my daughter in the car who is 7.   I am hoping that she gets older she will tune in to the radio and help support the local stations.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print