Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:54:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Torii gain pot (Read 3527 times)
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Question about Torii gain pot
08/27/18 at 18:37:39

When using the Torii with a preamp, does turning the gain pot on the amp fully open take it out of the circuit? Or is it always contributing to the sound in some way?

Thx

IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Re: Question about Torii gain pot
Reply #1 - 08/29/18 at 12:31:31

Well I guess not being a regular around here has disadvantages ......

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/29/18 at 13:11:28

I don't think Steve has seen this question. Patience is often required around here and sometimes it's best to seek answers elsewhere as well.

Personally I'm not knowledgeable enough about thsee things to say definitely. But what I read and have read seems to indicate that that a potentiometer wide open has the least influence on the signal. . . but I'm not sure that means "no influence.".

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/29/18 at 17:09:58

Well that is what a volume pot does. when you turn fully clockwise you are basically shorting the pot to the input signal when you turn it counter-clockwise you are shorting the signal to ground.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 08/29/18 at 20:07:12

Quote:
When using the Torii with a preamp, does turning the gain pot on the amp fully open take it out of the circuit? Or is it always contributing to the sound in some way?

First thing to keep in mind, is that it's not a gain knob, it's passive and only brings the signal down.

Steve said the pots he uses, are effectively out of the signal when full on, and don't impart much if any sound signature when dialed lower. I'm pretty sure that holds true for current amps, not sure about the older ones.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Shakeydeal
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/30/18 at 14:22:38

Thanks for the replies, that is what I was looking for.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print