2018 Decfest (Read 27477 times)
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

2018 Decfest
08/21/18 at 22:11:38

I have not seen any discussion started for this years Decfest.
I assume it will be the first weekend in October as usual.
I just want to make sure it is in fact October 5th, 6th and 7th. before I book my hotel room.

Can't wait to see old faces and meet some new.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: 2018 Decfest
Reply #1 - 08/22/18 at 12:10:19

I'm hoping that there is a bounce house at the 'fest this year. I really enjoy bouncing around in them.
Some cotton candy would be nice too. Or deep fried Twinkies's.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 09/01/18 at 06:21:59

DECFEST 2018 live camera / information page is now updated with this years fest info.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfestcam.html

This year is going to be a little over the top with the new 25th Anniversary Zen Amp, and more than one new pair of speakers!!!  I can't wait to see the regular attendees whom are all considered personal friends, but also the new faces make this event frankly the highlight of my whole year.  Every year has been a notch more impressive than the last from a sound quality standpoint and every year I've wondered how would we ever top last year???  

If ever there was a year to come, trust me it is now.  It's going to be a really good one !!!

For those who don't know, during the 3 day and night fest we broadcast the listening room pretty much live 24hrs a day until late Sunday when it ends.  The page linked above is where the live feed will be.

If there is anyone attending that's into Facebook live videos, please feel free to broadcast the event from your point of view while you are here!  The more the better!

I can pretty much guarantee if you come you will see some UFO's.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 09/01/18 at 16:53:58

I'm looking forward to hearing all of the new products. And seeing the Monster truck demo derby. A good time for all!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 09/02/18 at 23:59:22

Woo Hoo !!!  ...  

This year's Decware Audio Fest will be well worth whatever effort it takes to be in attendance.

After having the pleasure of personally hearing the 25th Anniversary Zen amp, I can attest to the fact that there will be many jaws hitting the floor .....

From what I understand, there were even some improvements made to the amplifier after I heard it .....  

Looking forward to seeing all those who have become audio buddies over the years and meeting many future ones.

33 days and counting .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 09/03/18 at 02:33:09

This year, and this year only, there will be a second listening room going in a semi-outdoor space going all three days...  Should be interesting.  Trust me, this is the year to come.  Also don't forget we give all attendees 10% off their next purchase after the fest is over, no matter how large the purchase is.

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/06/18 at 18:37:06

YAAAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Made my room reservations for all three days! I am excited!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #7 - 09/09/18 at 18:31:56

Just a heads up for those planning to attend .....  

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1536513951

26 days and counting .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/10/18 at 15:47:28

This will be my first Decfest. Looking forward to it. Does anyone have any hotel/motel recommendations they would like to suggest?

IP Logged
DeVon Deckert
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/10/18 at 16:59:52

Hi Everyone! It's DeVon. I am starting to get inquiries regarding accommodations for DECFEST. If you have already made hotel reservations can you share where you made them? Thought it might be nice if many of our DECWARE family were at the same hotel. Of course, our yard is open again this year for anyone who wants to pitch a tent. Can't wait to see everyone!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/10/18 at 17:24:22

I am here:

Fairfield Inn By Marriott      
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peoria East
Address      200 Eastlight Court East Peoria Illinois 61611 USA
Telefone      +1-309-699-4100

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/12/18 at 20:51:14

I am planning on driving out to Decfest this year from Delaware.  This will be my inaugural fest and look forward to meeting other Decheads.  No firm motel plans yet, but looking into options on KAYAK.

I REALLY want to hear the new 25th Anniversary Zen amp and CSP3-25 preamp combination.  Steve already upgraded my CSP3 and I'm looking to add the new Zen to my stable.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 09/15/18 at 08:00:39

Guys,

For those who travel to Decfest from the east coast, I am looking for advice on airports and possibly car rentals.  Do most guys fly into O’Hare or into Peoria due to accessibility?

I have been on the Decware forum for years now, and listen evey year live during Decfest.  I have some scheduling hurdles to overcome, but with the new Zen Amp out, I really want to get out there and hear it.  
Any advice/ input  would be greatly appreciated.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 09/17/18 at 02:28:19

If you can get a flight into Peoria, it will make your life much simpler.

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 09/17/18 at 08:33:45

Thanks Steve.  I was able to clear up a few hurdles, and just got the green light from the bride to attend.  This will be my first Decfest and I am totally stoked!!  

I am looking forward meeting the regulars on this forum, and  to being blown away by the new Zen amp.  

Having been listening live for the past 4 years during Decfest, it will awesome to finally be there to experince it in person.  

Update:
Flight and hotel reservations are booked!!  

I’m staying at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in East Peoria.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #15 - 09/20/18 at 03:21:47

Had a gentleman stop by today from North Carolina who has family out this way and won't be able to make this years fest.  He came to hear the DNA2 and the Zen Triode 25th Anniversary Amp.  He comes from familiar territory.  He has the DM947 Monoliths.  He has had an SE84C   and currently owns a TORII JR.  His head is already wired for Decware sound and it was interesting to notice how fast he responded to the sound of the new 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier.  It only took one song.  That's how fast it happens for me as well.  You just know it when you hear it.  His first question was how close to this can the TORII JR get with the Anniversary mods we're working on.  I told him the truth is we can get about half way between where it is now and what your hearing now... which is pretty damn impressive.  It's good enough to own both and enjoy both.  That's the key.  The SE84UFO25 resets the bar so high that suddenly everything sounds... well... less.  This is what necessitated the mods to elevate everything else to be able to hold it's head high in the same room, and command your attention nearly equally as well.

Todays demo was around 2:00 P.M. during a work day with less than ideal conditions and the sound was fantastic.  He couldn't find words to describe it... you could tell it was going to take that long drive home to really process it.  : )

I can hardly wait for the fest, only about two weeks away...  : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 09/20/18 at 04:54:17

Awesome Dom!  Can't wait to meet you!  One of our favorite things is that during the fest since it is a 3 day and 3 night event, basically a 72 hour gig -- there are many people who find themselves in the Decware listening room from 8:00 P.M. to the wee hours of the morning (some passed out on the floor) who get to hear what these amps really sound like when I listen to them during that after dark magic audio window I've written about several times.  Even a hateful solid-state receiver can sound magical without all the power supply dirt and harmonics aggravated by solar radiation during the day.  When I see what happens to me during this magic window of time happen to others then I know it's real and I can continue on the trek.  It really is the time when you can compare a Decware amplifier to most everything and hear why it's better.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 09/21/18 at 00:23:40

Oh yeah, I like what I read in reply #15, about the Torii JR!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 09/21/18 at 04:21:43

UPDATE 9/20

In preparation for some recording I hope to do in coming years with my tape machines, I decided to get some really good Aston microphones, and 32 feet of silver wired XLR cables which until then I am using in the listening room to broadcast this years fest.  Since I won't be feeding a tape machine, I have a great sounding Tascam A to D computer USB interface which is the most direct method possible to get the sound on the computer.

I have also moved the microphones to the other end of the room so for the first time we won't be recording the room, we'll be recording the speakers.  In fact the microphones are laser aligned to the DNA2 speakers as I type this, and I have been dialing in the feed.  I was able to get it perfect with everything dead flat and zero processing.  Just a raw feed from the microphones and it sounds so good it is easy to hear the magic of the SE84UFO25/DNA2 combo with a pair of decent headphones once the feed is set to 24/96.

Couldn't be happier with this result, because I have the microphones in a sweet spot just behind the seated listening position so those who watch the feed will get a FAR MORE REALISTIC experience as if there were themselves standing just behind the couch (a common favorite listening position for many attendees).

Comparing my own head just behind the microphones vs. going in the other room and putting on the headphones, I have it sounding exactly the same with the microphones sounding slightly warmer than live.

Fun stuff!  So glad I did it.  When I get the actual feed working ( many times a hair pulling experience since nothing from the year before can actually still work since it's on a computer... drivers have to be updated.  Software has to be updated.  Software has to be changed so you can't find anything... and so on) I will let everyone know and maybe I can send out a feed before the fest.

BTW, anyone wondering if a headphone rig is really worth the trouble when watching the live feed -- vs. ear buds hooked to a phone or laptop, the answer is that it's only worth it if you want to hear what it is like to actually be here.  Even a good USB DAC with a headphone jack on it will be a far superior experience to the headphone jack on the computer itself.

Happy Listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #19 - 09/21/18 at 06:22:36

Quote:
BTW, anyone wondering if a headphone rig is really worth the trouble when watching the live feed -- vs. ear buds hooked to a phone or laptop, the answer is that it's only worth it if you want to hear what it is like to actually be here.

I’m excited to hear the new digs.  I’ll be tuning in from time to time on my headphone rig:  LG TV web browser >  Oppo UDP-205 > Taboo MKIII > Ultrasone Signature Pro’s

First choice would to be there... but this seems like it will be a fun activity!  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 09/22/18 at 01:19:00

Well a mere 24 hrs later one of the microphones has developed an issue and the pair has to go back.  I have a pair of Lewitt on the way as replacements.  So tonight I put the old Sure SM57's I've been using to mic the fest and put the headphones on and couldn't even stand to listen to.  Like 38% of the music was missing in action and they sounded like going from a live event to a 4 inch radio speaker.  Holy Crap I didn't realize how bad they were for this application...  I always thought they sounded good until I heard the new ones.  Word is the Lewitt will be a whole plateau better than the Astons... we will see.  This is why you don't wait till the last minute to get everything working right.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #21 - 09/22/18 at 06:43:31

Quote:
Quote:  Awesome Dom!  Can't wait to meet you!  One of our favorite things is that during the fest since it is a 3 day and 3 night event, basically a 72 hour gig -- there are many people who find themselves in the Decware listening room from 8:00 P.M. to the wee hours of the morning (some passed out on the floor) who get to hear what these amps really sound like when I listen to them during that after dark magic audio window I've written about several times.  It really is the time when you can compare a Decware amplifier to most everything and hear why it's better.

Steve....looking forward to meeting you and the regulars as well!!  I work the graveyard shift and have watched the live feed for the past four years at the wee hours of the morning.  To finally get to experience Decfest in person will be awesome!!  

I’m already working on variety of music to bring.   
To keep things compact and minimalistic for travel purposes, I may transfer the audio to some USB thumb drives.  It just makes it a lot easier to throw in my pocket.  But those lossless FLAC files do get quiet large, so I may just wind up just bringing CD’s.  

Dom

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #22 - 09/30/18 at 01:56:22

I have the DECFEST LIVE FEED updated, and am testing it tonight.  Please give it a watch and see what you think.

Thanks,

Steve

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfestcam.html

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23 - 09/30/18 at 06:10:36

At work now and tuned in like an hour ago when th was feed was live.  The clarity of the video was very good on my iPad.  I was using my BT Bose earbuds, and while not optimal, the sound was clean and full.

Had a few streaming issues, but I run my iPad through a VPN, and my WiFi signal was not the best, so that could account for the hiccups.  

Update:  Video feed got better when I got a stronger WiFi signal and turned off my iPad VPN software.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/02/18 at 17:21:09

Not relevant to most of you but I have the need to say that, due to a death in the family, I have been forced to cancel my trip to DECFEST this year. That makes me doubly sad and I will remain hopeful that next year will work out better for me. Enjoy!!!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #25 - 10/02/18 at 19:49:10

Sad. Sorry to hear for your loss.   We were staying at the same hotel, and it would have been nice to have a partner in crime.  

Maybe you can tune into the live feed for a bit and enjoy the music.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/02/18 at 20:14:06

Thanks. Yeah, I will listen a bit but it just "ain't the same thing"!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 10/02/18 at 20:16:58

My condolences Joe. Hang in there, keep in touch.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 10/02/18 at 20:57:05

Thanks, Lon.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #29 - 10/02/18 at 23:35:00

Hey Laz,  Sorry for your loss. Never an easy time. Find Peace & comfort with those you love.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/06/18 at 15:50:01

Thanks! Yes, even though the occasion was sad, visiting with loved ones, both family and friends, was nice. Thought about missing Decfest a lot, too. During drive back home yesterday I was thinking about missing the drive up to Peoria! About 6 1/2 hours to home and about 8 to East Peoria. I am hopeful of making the 8 hour drive next year! Meanwhile, I will enjoy my ZEN25 and DNA2s!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #31 - 11/11/18 at 04:39:22

Every DECFEST has a flood of good memories, and naturally a few always stand out. Of course this year the way the new 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amp stole the show all three days was historic.. which sets the stage for this memory. Up until this year, my favorite 'stand out' moment was the year we all started seeing UFOs in the night sky by the campfire.  

This year the stand out moment was when we put the Imperial SO horns on with the Zen Open Baffle speakers and played Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.

First we played it on the 2 watt SE84UFO3 amps because they were right there and handy.  The entire room got quiet and eyes got big!  It was so good the inevitable question was raised "what would that have sounded like on the Zen Mystery Amp at 20 times the power?

Being on the opposite end of the room, and having the 60 watt ZEN TORII MONO's setting right there next the two watt mono's the logical thing to do was just use those.  After all the ZMA is just a mellowed version of the same circuit, so the sound is VERY similar.

Once I got the amps warmed up (for the first time in months, literally) I turned them up to half way mark and hit un-paused the CD...  the very first note created a holy-crap moment for the entire room (if not the building and my guess is the surround neighbors).

It was the deepest, richest, most linear perfect bass you've ever heard in your life, including live events, times 2.

An entire room was turned to stone, and everyone had an orgasmic grin on their face that I'll never forget. Perhaps that was our UFO visitation. I mean you can see how the Signature Zen TORII MONOs which  get precious little attention got their chance and simply bitch-slapped an entire room of people with an experience they will never be able to duplicate in their lifetime.... without the same gear and room that is...

It was like the amps came to life that night in front of an audience and demonstrated that you can split the earth with a large pair of bass horns and 60 real watts a channel and that's never going to happen with 2 watts!  The point was well taken by all... and I knew personally that the amps had a jealous moment that night with all this fuss over 2 watts!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #32 - 11/12/18 at 05:24:36

Steve....lucky enough I was sitting center stage and shot a video of the entire song.  My only regret was that I didn’t attach my Lavalier microphone to my iPhone X  to capture better audio.  I basically just sat there and let the video record.  One thing to notice....no one talked for the entire song.  

Guys.....I can attest to what Steve posted.....It was truly an outer body experience!!

Here is the link to the YouTube video.  Make sure to adjust the video settings in the playback browser to get the maximum resolution.  While it was shot in HD, it appears that YouTube lowered the quality upon upload from my iPhone.  Bummer.  

Apparently the only workaround for HD video uploads is to go through iMovie on my Mac.  I may give it a shot to see if there is a noticeable improvement in the audio quality.

https://youtu.be/onLMORjksCo

Enjoy!!

Dom

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #33 - 11/12/18 at 06:26:16

Hi Dominick,
Thanks for sharing that video.  I was not able to attend this year so it is nice to get a sense of what that demo offered to all that did attend.  

Just and FYI...  That is not Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Bela Fleck), but rather Takla Makan by Yello   Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #34 - 11/12/18 at 06:37:38

Wow.....a definite brain fart for sure.  Thanks for the correction Jeff...I’ll change the description in Youtube.  

Here is the YouTube video link for Takla Makan by Yello.....

https://youtu.be/u_eTsVktaxc

Enjoy!!

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print