Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:22:00 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience (Read 29391 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience
Reply #50 - 12/23/18 at 00:10:16

No posted list for modifications or repairs. They are normally completed in two weeks and you'll receive a call and/or email from Sarah when shipped.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 12/23/18 at 00:50:34

ok, thaanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 12/25/18 at 15:07:27

Man. . . the 25th Anniversary Modified Experience. . . it keeps on being an experience.

New firmware for my transport and DAC have led to experimentation, and falling in love with certain tube types has also encouraged experimenting with those.

I'm back to Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifiers in both of the Monoblocks and in the CSP3-25. There's just something so right about the blend of sound and dynamics from these and an open midrange that is uniquely its own. And I have been so enamored with the Raytheon OD3W that I have that I ordered a few pairs of Chatham OD3W. I have a pair in now and these are a different presentation, much clearer and crisper than the Raytheon but so far only a few hours in. . . .

These amps and preamp show me so much of what is in the source material and every other component or accessory in the system. What an experience!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 12/26/18 at 02:12:57

Stefan,those look great! Is the ZBIT just modified with the wood panels? How does the sound of the ZROCK2 with mods compare to how it sounded before?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 12/27/18 at 18:59:23

I've put the ZTPRE back in and gosh I find it hard to choose between it and the CSP3-25 in my main system as the preamp. They each make the system shine and each brings a different flavor that I love. But the ZTPRE allows me to run balanced for three sources, and has remote control. . . . And I don't have to play with rectifiers, the solid state one Steve chose is on the money. So it may be the one that stays. I lose the headphone playback. . . BUT I have the Taboo Mk IV for that, which may even be a better headphone amp. My ZBIT has two single-ended outputs so that allows me to use it to feed both the ZROCK2 (feeding the amps) and the Taboo Mk IV.

I both do and don't miss the 25th Anniversary Modified Experience that the CSP3-25 brings to the system. That makes the CSP3-25 just a hair more holographic and detailed than the ZTPRE. But the ZTPRE is so well-mannered and perfectly "right" that its refined character just makes for amazing listening that I miss when it's not there.

The great thing for me is that I'll soon be able to use two systems: one downstairs that will be "new" and the main system which is going to have a dedicated loft area upstairs. The "new" system I think will have the Taboo Mk IV, a ZROCK2 (when my new one arrives), the CSP3-25 and my first pair of HR-1s fed by my Oppo UDP-205 and a DVR. Should be a great system on its own. (I may send my Taboo Mk III in for the 25th Anniversary Modifications and use it as my headphone amp in the main system; I have so much stuff, but at least with a full second system I get to use it!)

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/27/18 at 19:24:16

Lon,

That's quite the problem... having so much DecWare Gear that you aren't sure where to use it! Shocked I'm hoping to have a similar dilemma some day, but it seems it will be far off.      
 Great to hear you are enjoying the change-ups, I am anxious to get my ZROCK2 and then the ZTPRE into my system, the wait is a kind of a conundrum in that the anticipation is something and the patience is something else (that I'm not too good at!).

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 12/27/18 at 20:06:30

I have over twenty years of waiting for Decware gear that I have ordered. . . and you'd think I was good at it by now. . . . Maybe I'm a little better at it I guess, but there's room for improvement! Waiting for the new fully modded ZROCK2 and the ZLC is hard. I want them now! But hey, good things come to those who wait. . . .

You're going to have a great system! ZTPRE and ZROCK2. . . can't help but see a bit improvement with those.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 12/28/18 at 14:21:23

I want my ZBIT and I want it now! Grin Cheesy
(in Q 10/6, with another 1.5 months to go/pretty much)

Oh, the pain .......the pain, I know guys!

We know it is always worth the wait.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1543979474

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #58 - 12/29/18 at 20:02:46

I am pleased with my ZMA Mod's. A couple weeks in I was skeptical. (I actually posted my premature worry and Lon eloquently posted to season longer and he was right and I should have known better). Ye of little faith here.....Steve knocked it out of the park once again.

The last week/10 days.....I am no longer skeptical, to say the least. I put quite the burn seasoning on the Mod's with my ARC Stereo Line Amplifier + tube rolling: 6P's, KT66, 7581A & KT88 output tubes with NOS Platinum Mullard, Ediswan & Tungsram input tubes. A pair of stellar NOS Platinum Telefunken's as my constant inverter pair.

Then, taking my Pre out of the chain and running how I prefer my ZMA served (unadulterated by an Preamp); with my room size and acoustic treatment, I really enjoy getting so close to my tube rolling/voicing. NOW?! I get even closer with more musical transparency, tone signature of the ZMA continues spot on in the imaging that I thought could not be improved but has. Little deeper soundstage too. Micro serving the macro, fully.

Bottom Line: As if a straight wire with gain preamp is under the hood with these mods of power cap bypass, glass resistor's and tempered/maintaining transparency, by the output screen grid resistor's. Speed & Dynamics? Oh yeah, in full bloom now and Stone is very, very happy. So, I did not like Line Stages before this and in my room I can get away without. With the Mod's, I might as well sell my Line Stage. Weight and all I have mentioned is there! Furthermore, realize I use Steve's output stage/ZDSD, that provides gem voltage output direct to my ZMA too.

I look forward to my ZBIT (I need Steve's outboard output stage with left and right channel adjustability (option ordered)/because I'm so pleased with the output stage of my ZDSD). ZLC too coming later. Also, I noticed Steve's friend Dan, up the road from me has an interesting product out! This will be next in my budget for my second System.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #59 - 12/31/18 at 08:41:24

Great to hear Stone!  I too found that all of the new components needed some time to burn-in before reaching their full potential.  Most profound burn-in requirement for me was the screen grid resistor I added.  It was a hefty wire wound resistor that initially suppressed the top end sparkle I was used to hearing from the ZMA.  The sonic improvements came rather quickly and after a couple of days it was a different amp.  But, all in all I would say it continued to "season" over the following weeks.  

I think you will find replacing the large electrolytic to be a surprising improvement.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #60 - 12/31/18 at 13:53:01

Oh yeah, funny you mention the top end sparkle. It took a little more time than I expected....but it has arrived and not hyperbole to say, wow!

My Gold Lion Cryo KT88's are absolutely stunning with my NOS Plat Tungsram 6922's for inputs and NOS Plat Tele's as inverter's.

Yes, road trip by appointment to stop by and have Steve pop them in, the big Nich'es....Sue wants to come back up the River through Galena anyway. I could do it (having Steve send them to me when available)...but I want to maintain my warranty.

Decware is only 6.25 hours away. Instead of incurring the $180 in round trip shipping again.....it will be better spent on an Airbnb or Bed & Breakfast on the River.
+, get to listen to the DNA2's.

Sue, might think it strange, that I wheel the Pelican case into the room for overnight. She will understand, I'm not leaving my 6.5k ZMA in the trunk overnight. Cool Cheesy  TIP: ....this reminds me, I need to review my homeowner's insurance for replacement cost of both of my Rig's. Shocked
Good TIP for all here, to start your New Year. Me? I have 27k+ at replacement cost in Audio......... . I know many of you have more than this. Most would argue: "I'm covered at X amount of k for personal property, without a Rider...but are you really and at replacement cost for ALL your Audio?" I'm not an insurance agent hawking for the industry to extract more money from your wallet....this is just good food for thought and consideration for my fellow Decwarian's; since I'm reviewing my policy next month. Yes, I know, fire or home theft is almost akin to being struck by lightening. However, just food for thought. My insurance (by comparison to two others) will not be getting an extra penny out of me; if not need be.
....For starter's, if you have not done so already....have photo's of all your equipment and as many receipts as you can/find, in your phone and in the Cloud.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 12/31/18 at 17:35:53

This 25th Anniversary Modified Experience is really something. This was a great year for Decware, a stride forward from excellence to out-of-this-wordliness.

I'm addicted to my ZTPRE driving the Monoblocks now, I love the consistent sound and how it makes all my sources sound their best without smoothing over or hiding anything. My next dilemma is to decide whether to send my Taboo Mk III or my Taboo Mk IV back for the Anniversary Mods. One or the other will be the heartbeat of my upcoming second system, the other will be the headphone amp for my main system. I guess in time I'll send them both back. . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #62 - 12/31/18 at 18:46:28

Very good dilemma to wrestle with Lon.

Have a Happy New Year!

Having some frigid cold coming in tomorrow here.....will be a great day to stay warm with a lot of Music.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 12/31/18 at 18:54:44

I know you'll have a great day too, best to you and yours.

May all of us have a safe and happy new year and a year well-seasoned by great-sounding music.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 12/31/18 at 22:05:54

"Stefan,those look great! Is the ZBIT just modified with the wood panels? How does the sound of the ZROCK2 with mods compare to how it sounded before?"

Hi Lon,
besides the wood side panels the ZBIT has a switch and 2 additional inputs, so I have my DAC on there via XLR and then my record player and surround sound amp via the 2 RCAs. All the RCAs are the upgraded ones from the 25th amp. This is one of the amazing things that I love about Decware, you can talk to the owner about special one-off things and you get them for a very reasonable price.
The ZROCK25th makes it sound so much "fuller", the bass goes down more and makes the whole "2.5 Watt" experience even more mind blowing, given that my Tannoy speakers are not super high efficient.
Very happy with the setup and sound now, and that before I have even started any tube rolling  ;D
The only thing I need to figure out is that the ZROCK has a slight hum coming from the box, when you squeeze a bit the top of the box it goes away, need to ask if anyone else had that in the ZROCK forum.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 12/31/18 at 22:28:40

Thanks for the update. Wow, sounds like a great new setup. I have a lot to look forward to when my ZROCK2 is built and shipped. And nice having the ZBIT as a transformer and a source selector.

Regarding the hum. . . when I first got my ZROCK2 it too had a hum. In my case it turned out to be cable placement related. I reconnected all the connections carefully paying attention to routing away from power cables and the hum went away. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/07/19 at 17:53:19

I swear that week by week the sound improves, due to both the seasoning of the equipment and my learning the best tubes to use and the best gain settings in the system. I'm so SOLD on the 25th Anniversary Modified Experience!

Reinstalling the ZTPRE has been really good for my system. It's nice to have the Z Amigos back in play, and its anchoring consistency truly gives the system a coherent balance that I don't want to be without.

Next month sometime the cabinet Lucy ordered should arrive and I'll be able to set up a new system, and that too should be a 25th Anniversary Mod one as I intend to use the CSP3 with 25th Anniversary Mods, and I intend to send my Taboo Mk IV back to the Mothership for upgrading with the 25th Anniversary Mods. And I hope to have a ZROCK2 in this system too, though that may not happen at first--there are about 40 orders ahead of my new ZROCK2 on the build list!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 01/16/19 at 15:36:10

I can't help it. I want to just kick back and enjoy the music without futzing, but the transparency and dynamics of these amplifiers keep making me explore. A certain recording will suddenly show me an "avenue" to venture down and off I go.

I'm back to 5R4GWB rectifiers, these labeled Raytheon, which have a slightly richer texture and are a shade less bright than the Chathams I have, and I tried OD3W from Raytheon, Sylvania and Chatham and the Raytheon have a great synergy with these rectifiers. After some "gain" adjustments and time lit up I was very happy but there was just a hint of classic tube warmth that I was missing and it dawned on me to trade a Mullard 12AU7 for the Amperex 12AU7 that I have had in the ZROCK2 for quite some time. That did the trick, I'm getting a very dynamic and open sound--well seems I always have that but there's a hint more dynamic detail and the soundstage opened up a hair and moved back a hair. The Mullard does not quite provide the gain that the Amperex does, had to do some gain adjustments, but I'm now going to try to just leave things be! (Yeah right).

My pleasure lasted a brief instant. I was staring at the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and remembering what I paid for them, and how excellent they are. . . I popped them back in, and started playing about with the regulator and ZROCK2 tubes. . . and ended up where I started! But knowing there's yet another possible combo available.

This is the first time that I think I understand what Steve was saying that the ZROCK2 without mods would be the weakest link if you have the modded amps (and I think he also meant preamp). I am not using the 25th Anniversary CSP3 right now, but the ZTPRE is so clear and clean and copacetic that I know it's not my weakest link. I'm eager to have my 25th Anniversary modded ZROCK2 built and in the system. I think there's a thin veil that can be rolled away when this happens. . . .

Every day I just marvel at the sound I have in my home. We're blessed.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/16/19 at 17:23:06

Yes, blessed! It is extremely difficult to turn the system off even when it is past time to go to bed.  :-/

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #69 - 01/17/19 at 15:11:00

LOL, me too. Lately I've been like the kid playing a video game...But Mom, just 5 more minutes! Just one more song...just one more...just. Oh crap it's 2am and I need to be up for work in 4 hours!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/17/19 at 17:29:56

Normally I’d be entering a guilty plea here also, but my bedtime has gotten a little more reasonable while waiting on 25th Mods to the MKIV and my ZTPRE to hit the bench.
I considering the break “resting up” because when that stuff is into my system I plan on either turning my clocks around or taping over them while everything gets settled in...let’s see 24x7 for a couple weeks should give me a jump on things. Shocked

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 01/19/19 at 16:00:58

Had a serious Oh sh__! .....moment(s) last night and then had to duplicate to make sure I was not wrong (this morning)!

Prince's Piano & A Microphone, in its entirety last night was so real and palpable with these mod's and just better!

Next, I have waited for the Mod's to season in to play this one. Bruce Hornsby's Big Swing Face. This disc is just a plain disaster with mid-fi, because of its busy density (and my mid-fi Rig does not suck). ZMA with MOD's?! .....Totally engrossing with dynamic range so stunning ....I was pinching myself.

We are blessed to have this level of enjoyment.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 01/19/19 at 16:11:12

Those "Oh" moments keep on coming. You're right, we're blessed.

My next leap will be when the 25th Modded ZROCK2 arrives! And I want to see what the ZLC will bring, though I am unsure it will unsettle or upstage my P10.

It's the weekend and I don't get to listen much, and a 3 day weekend at that. Come on Tuesday!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #73 - 01/19/19 at 16:54:52

Yes, I look forward to the ZLC in March (estimated delivery~where I sit in the que).

Till then, with these Mod's continuing to season and the ZBIT needing its time......all good.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #74 - 01/20/19 at 19:57:04

Oh my, my, my.....time my ARC Stereo Line Amplifier was injected. Tung n' Groove.

Litmus Test:  The Southern and Harmony Musical Companion.

PASSED!!!!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 01/20/19 at 20:16:32

Meaning: Classic Chris Robinson light it up ....the Mod's improved this too!
Got to have a good vintage Class A Pre for all Rock.

Jazz ....still get the closest Direct; that has made a leap too, with the Mod's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 02/04/19 at 22:28:47

Three new 25th Anniversary Modified Experience related things.

One: the Taboo Mk IV is in the house with the Mods and it is as transformed as I thought it would be. Great sounding amp taken to the next level! I had about 20 hours on it and took it out to compare to the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks more directly with some hours on the Taboo. It's very similar in nature, being a bit more powerful and dynamic, and a bit less refined.

Two: While they were out I popped the tops of the Monoblocks and rolled out the Raytheon NOS OC2 voltage regulator tubes underneath with Tesla NOS 11TA31 tubes, an OA2 type. I LOVED these in my Toriis and I love them in the Monoblocks, they just contribute to the exceptional openness that these amps give with the other tubes in my complement, and I'm so glad to have them in there. I have another pair stored away and just ordered four more. I don't want to be without these! That highlighted one advantage the Monoblocks have to the Taboo: the voltage regulation tubes. My PS Audio P10 really improves the sound of both of these components, but the voltage regulation tubes allows me to tailor the sounds about another 15 percent or so, a surprisingly useful factor and one that I really enjoy playing about with. I'll put the Taboo back in soon to get some more hours on it before it serves as the heartbeat of the new system I'll soon be setting up.

Three: I sent my remaining CSP2+ back to Decware today for the beeswax 25th Anniversary Mods. These mods are the REAL DEAL. I intend to use it wit the Taboo Mk IV in the upcoming system. . . . I was going to put my CSP3-25 in that system with the Taboo, but I just don't want to be without it in my main system as both a preamp and a headphone amp. Having both the ZTPRE and the CSP3-25 in my main system is an unexpected joy and both in use are just a tiny bit better than either in use by themselves, and I just won't deny myself that last bit of great sound. I think in time I'll send my Taboo Mk III in for the mods as well, the mods really are worth the effort and dollars.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #77 - 02/06/19 at 02:23:19

Lon, referring to your enjoyment of the ZPTRE and CSP3 in the same signal path... and as you mentioned, you would think it wouldn't sound as good since introducing more components and cables in the signal path generally wrecks it,...  but it does : ).  It's like each tube stage is channeling the true intent of the recording through magical interpretation and it's cumulative.

Those who just tuned-in, when you look at a tube stage, specifically a triode which is what we are using, the tube itself has only three elements.  A high voltage plate, which is large with lots of surface area... a small heated cathode centered inside the plate emitting electrons once it gets hot, and a fine wire screen grid between the two that carries a small electrical charge - the signal - causing the electron flow between the cathode and the plate to very with the music. This means that the signal entering the tube is only operating a "shutter" that modulates the flow of electrons between the cathode and plate of the tube just a a window shutter can modulate the amount of light that enters a room.

If the signal is only operating the "shutter", then the electrons you "hear" are actually coming from the cathode and being collected on the plate and on to the next stage where the process repeats itself. Each time this process repeats itself it can either preserve, repair or diminish the fidelity of the original signal that started the domino-effect through the amplifier's various stages.  In this case as Lon describes, it does the best of the three, it repairs. Repairing outranks preserving.

Someone might wonder why they never read about this stuff anywhere else, and it's because the subject is reserved for only those audio products which are designed around transparency, like the whole Decware line as an example ; )

Getting back to the "shutter" analogy,  the Anniversary mods are about matching the signal capacitor feeding each stage with a plate-bypass capacitor of the exact same type.  In this case we use rather pricey cyro-treated beeswax caps from Jupiter Condenser, that go for between $40 and $90 for each cap. To put that in perspective the original Zen Triode Amplifiers used a very sought after green chicklet-sized polyester film cap that cost 18 cents each in 1991. So you can image how expensive it is to put one of these new beeswax caps on the plate of each stage but this is the only way you can be sure the speed and characteristics of the signal cap and the plate cap exactly match each other and therefor reproduce the signal through the stage with great resolution.

Additionally, these have to be backed up by even larger values which more than doubles the price for each stage. The reason for this is because the main filter caps in high voltage tube amps from Decware are large 47uf 500V German F&T electrolytic caps.  High frequencies require faster access to pluses of power from the cap.  Smaller value caps are faster than larger value caps. Getting cap values that compliment the bass, the midrange and the treble is what makes everything magical.  So we take the 47uf which are then bypassed down with a large film cap, usually around 3.3uf, and then either a .47 beeswax film cap, or a .33 high voltage film cap, followed by the .1uf that matches the signal cap. In some cases the speed is further enhanced by using a .022 beeswax cap, like in the headphone section of the CSP325 as an example.

Besides resolution, focus, dynamics and a haunting realness to the music, you will find the item just has more nuts.  A lot more.

Again bit's and pieces of this are no doubt scattered throughout this thread, but for those who don't like to read or can't remember, I thought I would summarize it agin hear since it is responsible for breaking the long held audio rule that a shorter signal path always sounds better... ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #78 - 02/06/19 at 11:00:42

Thanks for the concise explanation Steve. It truly is a blessing to have both these preamps working in one system. And these mods are excellent. I have them in the Taboo Mk IV now, have a ZROCK2 with the mods on order, and Monday sent my CSP2+ in for modification. In time I'll send my Taboo Mk III in as well. The wonderful improvements are a big benefit to any system.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 02/06/19 at 15:43:13

Steve,

Thanks from me also. I've read probably a hundred hours or more trying to learn more and comprehend how this all works and fits together. You brought it to me in what less than what, 700 words? I can't honestly say I have any understanding of how those electrons actually work, but then I struggle with Hot/Neutral/Ground in my breaker box.
 I got a "feel" for Mod and Cap stuff so I'm going to be content with that for now.
 I can't wait to start burning in the MKIV mods with the new ZTPRE and ZRock2 25th. I have no doubt the next few months and beyond will hold some great listening for me.
 It's amazing that the whole family of DecWare equipment that is already out there can be converted into totally new models basically by simply having them updated and modded. All new gear without the financial strain of selling an old and buying "new". Pretty cool, allowing people to purchase any of it without and have a clear path forward with the same stuff!
 OK, done, just a satisfied customer rattling on... Smiley

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #80 - 02/07/19 at 04:16:13

It's OK Scott, keep rattling... ; )

BTW,  Interesting tidbit about your amp and the art of trouble-shooting mysterious problems:

I got your TORII MK4 that I just did anniversary mods on back with the dead channel, and had two extreme mind-melting hours trying to figure out the impossible...  

After doing the 25th Anniversary Mods  and testing the amp all the way through, which is my preferred methodology, I got down to the final mod, the glass resistors.  So simple, just remove existing resistor and replace with new one, do it 6 times.  I finished one channel and tested it, and then finished the other channel and "thought I tested it" but actually didn't.  So based on the certainly aka assumption that I had tested that final resistor, I was unable to find why the hell the amplifier did not work on one channel.  It worked, but the output was so low it was almost undetectable.  Every part in the amplifier tested perfect, all resistors, all capacitors, and on the scope, the input stage all the way up to the output tubes was working perfectly, but the output tubes were not passing the signal on to the output transformer... yet, the tubes were clearly working, in fact they were drawing 50% more power than they should have, which is also btw impossible.  Output transformer tests perfect, yet just to be sure that what tests perfect actually is perfect, a new one is swapped in and no change...    Based on everything I tested, and everything I think I know, what is happening is completely impossible, and really starting to piss me off...

Then I remembered, troubleshooting anything, no matter how complicated, is not you pitted against the faltering item, but rather you pitted against your own mind.  It is nothing else but that.  The actual problem with anything is always something simple, or if Father Murphy wants to really punish you it will be three very simple things all at once.  My mind was operating under a false pretense which was that I personally tested and witnessed both channels working perfectly after doing the all of the Anniversary mods on this amp.  

So now that you have all the pieces to this puzzle, can you figure out what was wrong with the amp?  How can a channel that is not oscillating and has no output yet is drawing 50% more power causing 31 volts to disappear not working properly when all the parts are there, and test perfectly?

One of the parts was soldered to the wrong place.  Pin 6 instead of pin 5.  Yes, it's a good one... one of Father Murphy's favorites... (He is such an asshole I can't even believe it.  Did you know Father Murphy has a hidden camera to record his pranks and they play this shit back in the heavens like the show that used to be called "Candid Camera" ?  Well it's true.  Then they make you watch it during a life review after you die, just to have another good laugh!

Anyway, as far as I know it's a first for me, a sign of getting older I guess, nevertheless I did what I could to make it right, which was to fix it the day it came in, and cover the shipping both ways since it was my mistake ; )

BTW, Your very pretty ZTPRE came out great, as they all do, but I took an extra day to enjoy yours in the listening room so it has around 55 hours on it and is sure to please : )

-Steve

P.S. When I say "it was a first for me" I do not mean my first mistake!!!  I have repaired mistakes and paid shipping both ways enough times over 20 years to easily pay cash for a nice new home, but as you can see the karma that came from it is worth far more than the money that would have been saved by skirting the responsibility : )

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 02/07/19 at 05:25:30

Steve,
First off, Thank You
 I was blown away yesterday when I called Sarah about another matter (her doing me a favor) she knew the amp had just come in and you were going to get to me about it, she went to check with you and came back and said you had both hands in there was working on it. My response was...no problem don’t bother him.
 I first off had this feeling, it’s going to be working just fine when you get it, even though we spent all that time on the phone trying to pinpoint something.
Don't forget, it also came in for the 25th mods with my original problem of blown fuses because of a bad rectifier tube!
 I agree with your assessment on Father Murphy, with me they have a Double Feature already in the can and are working on a sequel.
 I would challenge anyone to find a vendor that offers the kind of service and assistance that you do. It amazes me to think that it has been only 9 months since we had our first discussion on the phone and I ordered the Torii MKIV and then the ZBIT. What a great experience and it's only just beginning for me. I remember hanging up the phone not 100% sure what the heck I was getting into, not knowing how lucky I was to have ended up in the hands of someone who actually gives a shit (you) and how different it may have come out had the folks at ZU not recommended I look into DecWare!
  I now will be punching UPS tracking on the MKIV and the ZTPRE which apparently is waiting for the big brown truck.
Thanks Again.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/11/19 at 20:46:03

I'd call it a Great Day when UPS delivers my fully modded Torii MKIV and then I get a email "your ZTPRE has been shipped!" it's going to be an experience... the first time with the modded ZROCK2 and MKIV together.  [smiley=10.gif]

Good Listening,
Scott

IMG_0139.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #83 - 02/11/19 at 21:32:20

Great Day INDEED!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 02/11/19 at 21:36:45

Scott,

Wow, sounds like your going to have some great listening in a few days.  Have fun and try to get some sleep 😊.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 02/12/19 at 17:45:17

I'm breaking in some new fuses and this has led to more tube-rolling.

I have had Audio Magic Super fuses in my ZTPRE and ZROCK2 for some time and I decided to complete the complement by adding them to my CSP3-25 and SE84UFO3 25th Anniversary Monoblocks. (Furutech fuses resided there beforehand). These fuses take about 100 hours to be all they can be and I'm about halfway through and they're stabilizing. They make a very very black background and heighten all the spatial aspects of the sound and the frequency balance shifts as they burn in. So I shouldn't roll tubes while they do so, but I do because it helps me get a handle on how they are influencing the components.

I have been playing around with a tube type Johnny suggested to me, 6N6P, and have a matched pair I've been using in the Monoblocks and the CSP3-25. Very nice tubes, but ultimately at least so far they fall behind the Amperex 7308s I've been using especially with the recorded sound of piano--the Amperex have a more complex, natural playback. And searching in my boxes of tubes I found a trio of Valvo E288CC tubes I used to use in my CSP2+ and popped those into the CSP3-25. This is a great fit. With Amperex 7308 in the Monoblocks--the resulting sound has focus and a very natural sound and is perhaps the most "holographic" that the amps have delivered (that's the fuses at work).

You just can't get bored with the 25th Anniversary Experience just a flick of a few switches away. You can roll tubes and tailor til you drop. Fascinating components.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 02/12/19 at 17:56:14

What size and type of fuses are you using in the CSP3-25 preamp? I believe most companies offer long and short versions, as well as fast and slow blow fuses. 5 amp? Thanks.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 02/12/19 at 17:58:10

You can only use the short ones. 3 amp as outlined in the manual.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 02/12/19 at 18:02:25

Thanks Lon. Slow blow or fast?

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 02/12/19 at 18:12:31

You can use either I believe. I have always used slow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 02/12/19 at 22:25:32

Well, my ZROCK2 with all Anniversary mods is on the bench. Happy!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 02/12/19 at 22:59:41

Cheesy yeeee haaa!!!!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 02/12/19 at 23:17:56

I honestly can’t imagine not having it in my system. I got to bed at least a couple hours before dawn last night. I gave the MKIV & ZROCK2 mods a run for their money...
They won Smiley
The first hundred hours or so will come quickly.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #93 - 02/12/19 at 23:22:11

I just "upgraded" my order from SE84UFO2 to the 25th with Zrock 2 plus mods. I hope to have it by Friday!! Grin Shocked :: Cheesy. LOL.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 02/13/19 at 00:56:21

And my ZLC is also on the bench. And maybe soon they'll work on the CSP2+ I sent in for the Anniversary mods. Expensive, but a lot of good stuff.

IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #95 - 02/13/19 at 03:03:17

CSP3 in house after RCA repair, of coarse had the 25th anniversary mod done while in the repair shop..
I’ve had 3 - 4 days with it so far (approx 35 hours)..
First impressions,
1st) The Sound stage changed, ..?
Yea I know, I wasn’t expecting that..
With my ZMF headphones, the sound stage had a kind of “rainbow effect” to it , putting the singer/ center stage 2” above my head and the far right and left channels would wrap around to my ears..
NOW the singer/ center stage is inside my head , making a more Flat / even stage from ear to ear..!!
On the main speakers,
 Very similarly, the sound stage center had moved .. I would estimate that center image had moved approximately 3” - 6”  downward  from where it used to project from before ..!!
This in turn makes placement and separation of instruments more realistic and satisfying to me..

2nd) Most noticeable aspect to me is ,
 The smallest details are more prominent, making the volume level between all of the frequency’s more even across the board..

Happy Camper over here..

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #96 - 02/13/19 at 11:43:24

Great news Delta! I have a CSP3 that I had built with the Anniversary mods and really love it. The detail element is truly engaging. . . a tapestry of sound is woven around the listener in the system now.

I am looking forward to how the mods transform the CSP2+ that I sent in. . . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #97 - 02/13/19 at 18:49:42

You guys are giving me gear envy....ugh.

Congrats on all the new gear and mods!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 02/13/19 at 23:00:12

Joey,
You won’t regret the change to the UFO-25 and the ZR-2 with the mods.  Mine was one of the first UFO-25’s, I think the second.  I had the SE84UFO2 and as good as that amp is the UFO-25 is in a different league.

I just hooked up my ZR-2 after both the mods were done and even though I was expecting nothing less than being amazed after experiencing the UFO-25 and the ZR-2 without the mods, I was not ready for the difference the mods made on the ZR-2.

Good choices!

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #99 - 02/14/19 at 02:37:10

Thanks JOMAN, I'm second or third from the bottom of the Q so I got a while to go. I sent my UFO2 in for mods to help with the wait.
 I knew it was now or never for the 25th and life is too short to always be wondering "what if?". I think once the wife gets a taste, she will understand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print