Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 14:29:06 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience (Read 29818 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: The 25th Anniversary Modified Experience
Reply #100 - 02/15/19 at 03:25:33

Joey my wife has been putting up with this hobby of mine for 44years.  Now she asks me to play music and won’t let any of our social get togethers go by without insisting on music being played.  The way she describes what she hears and feels you’d think she’s an audiophile and I insist on getting her input.

She too has become a Decware fan.  So you never know....

Cheers

IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #101 - 02/16/19 at 22:36:00

Hi all,

I'm wondering how close to the full 25th anniversary experience I'll get with just the caps bypass mod. If I send in my Zen for the caps bypass, will it get me close to the 25th, or is most of the magic in the voltage regulation tubes? I'm really attached to my SE84UFO2!

AlexR   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #102 - 02/16/19 at 22:44:54

I don't know if anyone here besides Steve would have specific experience. . . but I sent my Taboo Mk IV in for the power supply mods and it came back and the transformed amp sounds very similar to the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks I have that also have the regulation tube mods.

I have a PS Audio P10 power regenerator, so power is pretty well cleaned up and modulated for me, but I would surmise from my experience that the power supply mod would get you a very good way towards the full monty. Being able to roll different regulation tubes is a very nice thing that you will be missing though. That leads to awesome fine tuning.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #103 - 02/16/19 at 23:02:39

I should be able to know how the UFO2 compares to the 25th in about 5-6 months. I'm sure burn in time will also be a factor to consider. I will definitely keep both as I have three Decware rooms not including HT. I watch very little TV now and most likely, less , once the 25th and ZR2 arrive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #104 - 02/19/19 at 19:02:37

Just a day away or so of moving my system upstairs and I have stuck my 25th Anniversary Modded Taboo Mk IV in place of the 25th Anniversary Modded SE84UFO3 amps.

WOW. I've about 150 hours on these amps since the mods and about 110 hours on a new Audio Magic Super fuse and the sound is excellent. So so very close to the Monoblocks. A bit more romantic sounding. Love this amp! And the Mods made a big difference in a positive direction.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 02/22/19 at 19:20:33

Wow moment today. Wednesday (as a surprise anniversary gift for my wife!) I moved my system from the living-room to the upstairs (one long rectangular loft-like area.) I took me a full work day to tear down both the Samson racks and reinstall them upstairs and set up the "second" system in the living room and didn't really have a chance to listen at all on Wednesday after Lucy came home. (She's very happy she doesn't have to look at my system--she really digs the sound but hates seeing my components).

Thursday was spent with my Dad with Medical appointments and errands and a few meals. A great time, but no great amount of time for listening. I checked and it sounded good, I was relieved, but I knew the digital components needed a bit more time on and didn't draw conclusive judgments.

Today I sat down with the system in the new location and was immediately RELIEVED to hear it sound so good. And it really does. I can even more clearly hear the wonders of the 25th Anniversary mods. I have just the ZTPRE and am using the CSP3-25 in the living-room system, and it's not missed. I can hear even more subtle musical details that increase the real sense of the recorded space and delineate the character of the instruments in well-recorded material. A clarity that is not etched or grainy or "too much." There were two important changes in the setup: I moved back to my Mapleshade Double Helix Plus speaker cables, and I placed the HR-1s on PS Audio PowerBases for isolation purposes. These two changes are certainly making an impact, and overall the system is shining. I am able to get 10 feet from the speakers so I don't feel claustrophobically "near-field" as I have in the past, and the sound has room to bloom. Very relieved, quite happy.

Downstairs I have PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Oppo UDP-205, Sony Bravia TV, DVR, CSP3-25 and Taboo Mk IV with 25th Anniversary mods on a maple coffee table until the credenza that Lucy wants arrives Sunday and then I'll put the system together on that. I'm using my original pair of HR-1s and the second best cabling that I have on hand. The sound is quite good. The adjustable Lucid Mode in the Taboo are helping sculpt the sound. Duelund resistors are still breaking in on the HR-1s and I would love to have a ZROCK2 in the mix, and will when the one that is "Testing" at Decware ships and arrives. I am glad I was able to make my wife happy by moving my system, and not step down in audio quality in my main system. (I hope she's even happier when the credenza is installed, it's a sort of shabby chic aqua painted monstrosity that she thinks is "super cool". . . I think she'll really dig the new situation in the living room).

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 02/22/19 at 20:29:38

Sounds all good, Lon! Now that the "big" system is in a less conspicuous space, maybe you can do a bit of sound treatment in the room? L R(Eric) might have advice?! Vicoustic has some reasonably priced treatments too. Paul McGowan recommends the Wavewood panels. Just a thought. Wish I had the option.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 02/22/19 at 23:51:52

Nah Joe, I don't have any real space here for room treatment and I don't think I'll get permission if I could. On one side there's not much space, as there is a door to a closet and a door to the bathroom, and on the other wall there's a long narrow window on the top third. The HR-1s have their own sort of room interaction and always save my bacon in any location they are in. . . so I'll be more than okay with the situation I have and will be able to tweak the system by other means into great sound as time goes by.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #108 - 02/23/19 at 01:16:37

Is there ever a point where a stereo can sound too real?

To find out, read about the TORII MK4 with Anniversary Mods that I am just running in:  

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1550883971/0#0

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 06/05/19 at 14:09:41

Gosh three plus months later my main system has been dialed in and tweaked and with the modded ZROCK2 finally settled in I'm getting great sound.

Really I have a multiple of systems because tube-rolling in this system really gives one so many aural options it can be unnerving.

I built the character of the system around Amperex 7308 in the ZTPRE and Tung-Sol OD3W in the voltage regulator spot for the output tubes in the 25 th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. This week I experimented with all sorts of rectifiers in the Monoblocks and kept feeling that the Sophia Electric 274B are head and shoulders above a dozen other possibilities in my stash (making me wonder why I have all those!) and I've started to experiment with other tube complements. I'm leaving the Sophias and the Amperex 7308s as anchors in the Monoblocks as well as the Tesla OA2 variant I have as regulation for the input tubes. I have found a very good sound with the red-tipped sextet of 6N5P that I have from Steve (such neutral and balanced tubes) and a pair of Sylvania OB3 that add a lot of texture to the sound. Compared to the Amperex 7308 in the ZTPRE these 6N5P sound just a bit flat with the OD3W or OD3 voltage regulation tubes, but the OB3 ameliorate that and give the sound a burnished luster that works very well with less than stellar digital.

This 25th Anniversary Experience is an addictive one. One gets immersed in the music, and when one feels the need to tinker or tailor there is so much clarity and such a precise presentation that tube types and brands show themselves vividly making decisions educated and hard to argue with. Here a year later I'm so glad that I jumped onto this fast moving Anniversary train! These components make me feel as if I stole a golden apple from a divine orchard. . . .

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #110 - 06/05/19 at 16:40:46

Quote:

These components make me feel as if I stole a golden apple from a divine orchard. . . .

Might just be the best one-liner I've ever read!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #111 - 06/07/19 at 19:55:07

"Father Knows Best." That's what I keep thinking today because I had an urge to roll the input tubes on my SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks and put in a pair of red-tipped 6N5P from Decware.

Boom. Great sound! Days ago I had taken the Amperex 7308 out of the ZTPRE and put in a six pack of these same Decware selected and tested 6N5P, and really enjoyed that change. And now I'm enjoying this one.

Rather than the tightly focused sound of the Amperex, these give a looser, resonant sound to the music. The Amperex hint of warmth is replaced with a softer edge to the notes.

I'm really liking it. I'm leaving them in. I may have to find a chapter of AA to frequent. (Amperex-addicts Anonymous).

These amps are so reactive and interactive that it's like having dozens of amps, many yet to be discovered.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #112 - 07/25/19 at 15:37:53

Well, I see I left the 6N5P in the ZTPRE for over a month and a half, and in the Monoblocks over a month. . . . And I really like this combination.

And then I started playing with particular 6N6P (out of six pair I have one pair is both different in construction and decidedly superior in sound, so I was using that pair) and playing around with voltage regulation tubes to get them their best.

Then yesterday I picked a pair of Amperex 7308 out of a box and memories flooded back of wonderful sound so I put Amperex 7308 in the ZTPRE and the Monoblocks. . . and the sound was very close to the 6N6P complement sound but with a tighter focus and a bit more dynamics. After being so used to the wonderful but of looseness that the 6N6P gives I found I was restless. I started rolling voltage regulator tubes and found a particular pair of RCA 0A3 that really helped get me that little bit of ease. A very nice sound. Left that in place most of the day.

Then at the close of the day yesterday I realized that since the ZROCK2 was seasoned I really haven't rolled its tube. . . and my gaze landed on a 6085 I had sitting on the rack. . . and put that in in place of the RCA 5814A black plate I had there. At first of course it needed warming up, but unlike in the original ZROCK2 (not modded) it had a mellowness that I liked. So I let it simmer overnight and this morning I played around with the gain between ZTPRE (lowering) and ZBOX (raising) and BAM, a great dynamic sound with razor sharp imaging and yet a nice relaxed soundstage with ambiance and that touch of ease I had been looking for.

I make no promises I'll keep this complement in place, but it sure is nice sounding at the moment and yet another "amplifier" to find in the 25th Anniversary Experience.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #113 - 08/12/19 at 01:08:48

The 25th Anniversary Experience can be like having a transporter that takes you to different dimensions.

You can hear so deeply and intensely into every nook and cranny of the sound that any tube change, cable change, etc. is another dimension to travel and map out.

I have settled into great tube complements (7308 in the ZTPRE, 6DJ8 Bugle Boy, Aqua 274B, stock output tubes, RCA 0B3 in the Monoblocks, RCA black plate 5814A in the ZROCK2). I'm just going to leave them be for now, though I have an Amperex 5814A in the mail I'll try out.

So I have turned my attention to isolation and "tuning" the isolation and removing Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers and installing a fantastic myrtle wood platform I found about 7 years ago on eBay as a tuning weight atop my ZROCK2 has made a radical change in the sound. I can bypass my treble cut circuit for the first time and can use the "Multiwave" on my P10 which is not often the case.

Getting incredible sound with all the material I was able to spin today. I'm challenging myself to leave things alone and just deeply enjoy this 25th Anniversary Experience!

My next dilemma is whether to send the ZTPRE in for its Anniversary mod. I love the sound of this preamp so much as it is and have built the sound of the system around it and am reticent to change. At the moment my CSP2+ with the Anniversary mods is in for repair and when it returns I can swap in my CSP3 with the Anniversary mods and send the ZTPRE back . . . if I dare. I'm still divided! This experience is so . . . challenging. . . I would like to relax into it for a while. . . but the system invites exploring!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #114 - 09/11/19 at 05:06:53

I just want to update everyone on the Anniversary mods available for most of our tube gear...

I have done hundreds of anniversary mods so far and it has come to the point where I am having to train my staff to build them that way from the start because there just aren't enough hours in the day to QC the amps when each one that comes into QC has to be anniversary modded, adding another hour or two to the process.

Don't worry, we'll cope with it just fine, more importantly is that our salesmen, the amplifiers, are now going to be on another level. This will amplify sales in the coming years because it just widens the gap between mass-produced and or high-power audio gear so far that it becomes impossible to ignore or deny.

Life is good when sound is good and sound is good when life is good... it's a resonance.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #115 - 03/06/20 at 15:11:47

That's absolutely true Steve, I'm really enjoying that "resonance."

Did a lot of component swapping the last few days, and tube-rolling. My Taboo Mk IV with the Anniversary Mods developed an issue and is going back to the mother ship, and in shiftings things around I ended up adding my CSP3 with the Anniversary Mods into the main system so that now the chain is DMP or Rega/GCPH to DSD to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 with Anniversary Mods to CSP3 with Anniversary Mods to SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with Anniversary Mods.

Adding this CSP3 adds just a bit more of the Anniversary Mod "magic." It's not worth the hefty price tag just for that little added magic to be honest, BUT it does also give me the very best headphone sound that I have in the house. . . the CSP3 with the Anniversary Mods is the very best headphone amp I have ever heard. The Taboo Mk III I have and the Taboo Mk IV with the Anniversary Mods are both excellent headphone amps, but . . . the CSP3 with the Anniversary Mods (which Steve wired to bypass the input adjustment with a glass resistor) is just a step above. Holographic head experience!

The main system is now really singing! And I'm down my bedroom listening station til my Taboo Mk IV comes back, which is okay. . . I use that one the least, though I just really dialed it in with new transport and DAC. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #116 - 03/14/20 at 18:21:41

I've settled on tube complements in the components of my main system and am vowing to not budge for a spell.

ZTPRE: all Steve tested and matched 6N5P
ZROCK2: an Amperex branded Hewlett Packard 12AU7
CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods: a pair of supercryo'd 6N1P from cryoset.com (miss them) and as the input a Steve tested 6N5P, Sophia Electric 274B Aqua
SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with 25th Anniversary mods: Tesla 0A2, Amperex 0A3, Amperex 5R4WGB, Steve's tested and matched 6P15-EV, Steve's tested and matched 6N5P

I'm getting fantastic full-bodied dynamic sound. Loving every hour in front of this system.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 03/15/20 at 18:34:41

Nice, Lon. Maybe I missed it, but I see you're now using Amperex 5R4WGB. How would say they compare to the Sophia's? I've read that the 5R4WGB drop the B+ and have more sag. Has that been your experience?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #118 - 03/15/20 at 18:53:53

I don't know about the sag. The reality is that I can have a number of different "charactered" amps with different tube complements. With the Sophias and certain 0B3 rectifiers I can get a very similar sound to these BIG rugged 5R4 and certain 0A3. I think that comparing these two different complements the 5R4 have just a bit more clarity and dynamics, the Sophia a bit more "3 dimensional" feeling. In my current room situation the former is winning out with most of my musical content listening. Since I've added the CSP3 with the Mods to the system using a Sophia there restores a touch of the 3D feeling and presents a really good synergy to the system overall.

I'm really digging the sound and have resisted the urge to roll tubes longer than usual, which is also a good thing.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 03/15/20 at 22:04:07

Thanks for sharing, Lon. Sounds like you're all set for great listening sessions.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #120 - 03/19/20 at 16:00:49

Yes I am. . . and I have really been enjoying the listening.

One more change: I found I had two more of Steve's 6N5P on hand and these replaced the 2 super-cryo'd 6N1P in my CSP3 with the mods. A slight, very  slight dynamic diminishment, but a deeper dollop of "refinement"--killer sound with these tubes.

I think I'm done though soon it will be time to order a new pair of output tubes from the Maestro.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 03/19/20 at 17:02:59

Hi Lon

In your Monoblocks, How would you compare the 6n5p tubes with an Amperex (US) 7308 ?

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #122 - 03/19/20 at 17:43:41

I would say the biggest difference is the treble response. The Amperex has a tarter, perhaps more precise treble. The 6N5P seem a tad warmer because the treble is a bit softer.

The midrange on the Amperex is also a tad more open, which allows a bit more detail, just a sliver. Depends on the recording how audible this difference is.

Wth the 7308 I find myself gravitating twoards best sounding recordings, because they shine brightly, and not reaching for lesser recordings as often. I'm pretty against this as a practice--with the 6N5P everything else sounds a bit better and I don't consider sound quality so much when I think of playing a disc.

I tend to relax into the music and not think of sonic attributes more with a full complement of 6N5P. A less audiophile experience. Which I count as a good thing.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #123 - 03/19/20 at 18:31:38

Lon, you are a true gentleman and a gem. A real credit to the land of audiophile nirvana.

I'll add that the ferm "invaluable" is an understatement.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #124 - 03/19/20 at 19:17:33

Well Stated Lon

I understand your comparison.

Thank You
Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #125 - 03/19/20 at 20:20:22

Not sure I can live up t o all that, but thanks B. I've learned so much from Steve, his components, and all the other discoverers of his work and works. It's an evolving sonic universe . . . the first Zen Amps and the latest Anniversary are windows that look into the musical vistas recorded. Of course some windows are wavy old glass and some are triple insulated and fancily-dressed, but man the view!

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #126 - 03/28/20 at 16:06:14

Whats your guys take on a stereo 25 compared to monoblocks.   Is any sonic bliss lost when the stereo amp is run in mono.
Thanks

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 04/12/20 at 17:02:13

I’ll soon be getting the 25th Anniversary amp. I’ll probably have to purchase used as I don’t want to wait.
Can someone please tell me how much of a difference there is between the SE84UFO25 and the SE84UFO?

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #128 - 04/12/20 at 17:08:20

Many differences. If you compare the two product pages it should be easy to see. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 04/12/20 at 17:53:34

It's ironic but the wait for a used to appear may be longer than the wait for a new one to be built. . . .

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #130 - 04/12/20 at 18:04:18

I was laughing at the I can't wait, will buy used comment.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #131 - 04/13/20 at 01:49:33

As someone who owns all of it... everything from the 2 watt Zen Triode amplifiers, to the 60 watt Zen Torii Mono's which have been heavily anniversary modded...  any time I am listening and find myself running out of power it only takes me about a 5 minutes to go get a bigger amp. With that in mind, I always start out with our 2 watt Zen Triode amps. These are 2 watts that can literally drive almost  a dead short. Very rare. Using the 100 dB Zen Master Series crossoverless full-range single-driver open-baffle loudspeakers in a 17 x 27 x 16 room with carpet and a dead ceiling I have never had the urge to change amps. The 25th Anniversary amp has voltage regulator tubes for each channel, so if the output stage started to clip, you would see the regulator tubes start to softly blink. If there is no blinking, the amp is not clipping. You can see it from 20 feet away. The amps have never clipped.

OK, you say Steve that's fine, but you have overly sensitive hearing... you listen at low levels. To that I simply apply the 1 dB per beer equation until I either start clipping the amps or give up and go to bed. So far I have always had to give up and go to bed and this has been going on for nearly a year now.  

So while I love more power, aka Zen Mystery Amp, I have yet to need it with such a superior loudspeaker, and that's only one 15 inch driver in a 2 inch thick 100 lbs baffle.

My guess is that the majority of the SET industry designs for maximum power with the lowest distortion which is of course measured into a purely resistive load at the test bench. Usually 8, 10, or 16 ohms.  So you might get an amplifier with 8 watts of output under these conditions that while holding the same distortion spec drops to less than a watt when the speaker impedance drops at certain frequencies. So advertised power and what you really get can be two different things.  

Then there is the voicing... Think of it as the dynamic contrasting that comes from the amplifiers solidity in driving difficult/complex loads. An amplifier that can drive a dead short at full volume for 24 hours without running outside it's normal operating temperature and maintaining it's distortion specs is going to sound like it's really got it's shit together when listening to dynamic rock music, or classical, or really all music regardless of type.

I've come to suspect that dynamics are perceived by the body/brain as an equation that contains speed as one of it's main variables. Speed in the equation is defined as the ability to stop, change directions and restart again and repeat. So when an amplifier with incredible speed is used, dynamics are perceived as fully realized. An amplifier with less speed would need a logarithmic increase in power and subsequent drop in output impedance to sound similar. Similar is a generous term...

Sadly Decware watts is a rare island in the ocean of hi-fi that you can only realize by first hand experience. The math/specs will leave you dazed and confused because that math was never meant to dictate how something will actually sound, only how it performs under unrealistic and highly  controlled conditions.

Over the years we have gone from the most esoteric and complex compound radiuses angled horn enclosures that no one can actually build... to  a simple dense thick baffle properly shipped to deliver a superior sound to anything else we have previously done in the past 30 years.  I could go one for days about it's advantages, the incredible bass response (what?) and the projection and dynamics that other speakers simply can't achieve... but part of the 1dB per beer equation is that after 1 dB into the formula there is no longer any point talking about it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 04/13/20 at 02:18:41

That should be reposted...
Just about everywhere!
Saved, copied printed.

Best to all this evening,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #133 - 04/13/20 at 13:25:43

I own a 2017 SE84UFO (with the 25th anniversary mods) , rated at 2.3 watts per channel.

I remember when I first got interested in getting a tube amp, the fact that the Zen only had 2 watts per channel was very hard to wrap my head around. I thought, how in the hell is this amount of power going to even be close to sufficient??? Well let me try to explain to all that have the same reservations about this.

I’ve always thought that there should be a head to head comparison between the 2 watt Zen and an average SS amp so that folks interested in this tube amp might have a gauge.

Owning nothing but SS amps for 30 years - my last one was 100w per channel - I feel like a fair estimate would be that the Zen 2 watts would be the equivalent of about 50 watts of SS power. This is with efficient speakers (92db or better)

My average listening level with the Zen is at about 1 o’clock. And I almost never get above 2 o’clock and never feel the need to do so.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 04/14/20 at 04:22:32

Kingrex asked:  "Whats your guys take on a stereo 25 compared to monoblocks.   Is any sonic bliss lost when the stereo amp is run in mono."

If I understand the meaning of your question rightly, there is a misconception here.
When going to monoblocks, a person buys two and uses one for the left channel and one for the right. So the music is still listened to in stereo. The idea is that each channel now has it's own separate amplifier so the two channels can not muddy each other's signal.  The greater clarity is usually said to be heard as an improved certainty of the sound stage.

Brian

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #135 - 04/14/20 at 04:49:34

A stereo amp bridged is not an optimum use of the original circuit and input|output transformers.  I was questioning how much tone change occurs when you bridge a Zen stereo amp.

Steve was very clear.   His Zen amps work best with a single driver crossoverless speaker around 100 db efficient.  My speakers have 2 x 15" drivers a horn and crossover per speaker.  I went with a SET 845 based amp with 22 watts of power.  If I quad amp (2 x monos) I may try a Zen for rhe horn.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #136 - 04/14/20 at 15:45:34

Quote:
Steve was very clear.   His Zen amps work best with a single driver crossoverless speaker around 100 db efficient.  My speakers have 2 x 15" drivers a horn and crossover per speaker. I went with a SET 845 based amp with 22 watts of power. If I quad amp (2 x monos) I may try a Zen for rhe horn.

What I probably said was that single-driver crossoverless speakers have the greatest resolution. That resolution comes from the drivers' speed. The lack of a parasitic crossover is a bonus, and nothing images better than a point source.  For these reasons, a good single-driver crossoverless speaker will allow you to hear how far ahead of the pack a Zen Triode amplifier actually is, whereas other speakers will subtly mask it's beauty.

Getting hung up on power vs. 2 watts... let's talk about performance. The ideal demonstration of performance with a 2 watt Zen Triode Amplifier comes when one is paired with 4 - 15 inch drivers per channel and a pair of 8 inch full-range drivers. This notion that our low power amps can't control large drivers is completely false.

Also, as far as the amplifiers ability to drive complex loads, there isn't much that can outperform one due to it's ability to drive nearly a dead short.  Case in point, it will drive full size Magnapans with stunning bass response when 8 out 10 high power amps fail. The drawback is of course the speakers don't get loud enough to be fully useful with 2 watts. Another example is electrostatic speakers that use an interface. Hardest load for any amplifier you could create... many amps simply fail at it, regardless of power. The Zen Triodes (all Decware amps actually) drive them wonderfully, again in the case of the 2 watts, not enough to play the speakers loud. Then there's more conventional reflex speakers, like the Dalhquist DQ10's which had an impedance dip around 2 ohms, and a massively complex crossover. Zen drives it fine, just won't get loud.  All three of these examples have an efficiency in the low to mid 80's which is why they don't get loud enough with 2 watts.

I'm explaining all this for the casual reader who finds this post on Google, because I absolutely do not want to be lumped into the false narrative that our 2 watt amps need and or work best with a single-driver crossoverless speaker around 100dB efficient when they work with any speaker design from the mid 90's on up, crossover or not, multi-driver or not, etc.,

Now, if you're lucky enough to actually find a single-driver crossoverless loudspeaker that is 100dB efficient and has full bass response, it means you own a Zen Master Series baffle with the Lii Audio F15 driver... and yes, they sound great on the 2 watt amps.  Other than ours, I know of no other offerings that actually reach 100dB with a single driver, and have chest throttling bass with the imaging and highs to go with.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 04/14/20 at 21:38:22

Now, if you're lucky enough to actually find a single-driver crossoverless loudspeaker that is 100dB efficient and has full bass response, it means you own a Zen Master Series baffle with the Lii Audio F15 driver...

To expand on this subject, for those with a more modest budget, Randy's Caintuck Lii 15 speakers use the same speaker element with a smaller and more resonate baffle. They can do a reasonably credible imitation of Steve's flagship speakers.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #138 - 04/14/20 at 22:57:49

Hi Art.  Reasonably credible is really cutting the 8" Betsy short.  I own these and the Crystal 10's, and the Lil' Betsys can be better in the detail department than the Crystal's, or any other driver I've heard. They really are my personal favorites.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #139 - 04/15/20 at 01:03:51

I have tried Audio Nirvana and Voxativ in open baffle.  The Voxativ by far was a more pure, clean and accurate driver.  Either however were lacking in richness and body when the piano and vocals started.  The Voxativ was drop dead gorgeous doing simple violin.  Good enough I would like to have a enclose made to bring out the bass.  Open baffle is wonderful as the layman can make a very good sounding product with little engineering.  The multi driver with horn and crossover I use is not as pure as a single driver.  But it does something I can't find in a single driver.  Just a choice

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #140 - 04/15/20 at 01:20:58

But, that is not to say Steve hasn't put together an excellent single driver open baffle.  Especially one with the tubed EQ.  I very much like open baffle. I use multi driver open baffle. I like it a lot more than my friends Wilsons.   I do like one friends Daedalus.  That is a very nice boxed speaker.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 04/15/20 at 01:34:38

Kingrez,

My 2 cents.

I'm sure I've said this in another thread but the F15s in the full sized baffle give the most lifelike piano and vocal presentation that I've ever heard.  I have a grand piano in my living room so I can compare.  I don't have the communication skills to describe it but the "hype" on these speakers is real.  One test for me is how loud I can listen and not realize how loud it really is.  These go insanely loud by that metric.

Female vocals are to die for with these.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 04/15/20 at 03:16:46

Kingrex
I follow you now. I beg the pardon. I misunderstood.

Brian

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #143 - 04/15/20 at 04:47:26

Its fine Brian.  Stereo is so often a contentious subject.  We spend huge amounts of money on them, then become very defensive over what we have built.   Wouldn't it be terrible if we selected wrong.  If we could have done better with our money.   I want to try one of Steve's amps one day.  At this time with what I have configured,  it does not seem the right piece.  Its not so easy to just switch.  My god, imagine selling all you have and starting new every time someone told you your stuff was inferior and theirs was better.  I dont think you would ever have a chance to listen.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 04/16/20 at 15:06:26

Hi Geno,

It was not my intention to dismiss the 8" Betsy driver. I have no doubt you have greater resolution than my 15" drivers. I trust Randy when he says his favorite is the one he is presently listening to.

I think my main point was for those less familiar with Decware and equivalent small businesses, that one can get close to the sound of Steve's flagship speakers for a fraction of the cost. A good source, a SE84UFO amp and the Caintuck Lii 15's can get one 90% of the way of Steve's system. The amp, with upgraded capacitors, combined with the Lii 15's can be had for around $2,000. That is an extraordinary value.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #145 - 04/16/20 at 15:38:57

I looked at the Caintuck speakers.  I believe a baffle has an optimum size to limit back waves and forward wave interactions.  On a budget I would build from plywood.  Baffle materials make a difference.  They all have a sonic signature.

Most single drivers lack deep bass fundamentals and on the top end harmonic completeness.  An 8" driver is more limited on bass than a 15.  An 8 may do highs better.  Hence speakera such as Zu.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #146 - 08/31/20 at 16:46:36

The 25th Anniversary modded SE84UFO3s and CSP3 just continue to astonish me with the level of fidelity I can squeeze from them, and the variety of sounds and textures.

Right now I'm enjoying Sophia Electric 274B Aqua in the Monoblocks with a pair of supposedly "rare" 6N6P from the 'seventies that have such a clear and sweet midrange and treble, and in the CSP3 an RCA Type 80 globe and all the other tubes are Steve's 6N5P, which are also in the ZTPRE. Several tubes are really good in the ZROCK2 with these complements, right now a Sylvania 6189 from Steve.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 08/31/20 at 20:21:59

Nice post,Happy Monday and here’s to your 17,000th Post! Cheers
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 08/31/20 at 21:10:47

Congratulations, Uncle Lon!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #149 - 08/31/20 at 21:17:25

...Congratulation Lon on the posts...I have enjoyed and benefited from all I have read...thanks and keep it up

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged