Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:30:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone build a PCM to DSD 512 streamer? (Read 2827 times)
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Has anyone build a PCM to DSD 512 streamer?
07/29/18 at 16:57:27

Hi folks,
I've pulled the trigger on a T+A DAC 8 DSD after hearing its big brother on the California HiFi show on Friday and reading lots of good reviews about it. The DSD part of it is supposed to be world class and is build using discrete elements not a DAC chip. So now I'm looking into getting a streamer that can convert PCM to DSD 512, has anyone bought or build one?
All I found was this as pre-build one: http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=4013.0  or some build sheets from other people.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Has anyone build a PCM to DSD 512 streamer?
Reply #1 - 07/31/18 at 23:09:59

If you're building this from the ground up I would think to upscale audio on the fly to DSD 512 you need some good firepower i.e. probably a core i7 and plenty of RAM at least 16GB, but 32 would be optimum.

You could build one to your own liking for probably much less, but the box you posted looks to have the needed power.  I would contact Lonely Raven and see how much he would charge you for one of his Roon ready refurbished PC's that has that kind of power though to get some other options.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Re: Has anyone build a PCM to DSD 512 streamer?
Reply #2 - 08/01/18 at 05:38:37

Thanks beowulf, yes, I'm thinking along the same lines, I'm in contact with Eric about this, his normal servers are i5 which I don't think will be able to perform 512, let's see if I can excite him to create one with an i7  ;)

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print