Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachel bloat? (Read 7781 times)
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Rachel bloat?
07/25/18 at 03:05:44

Hey all,

Trying out a Rachael 34I.5 running it into a pair of Zu Omens. The amp sounds amazing except one issue - there’s a bit of bloat in the mid-bass. I’ve tried putting in a pair of 6922s into the input slots, and that’s taken the warmth back a tad, but things can still sound a bit mashed-potatoes. Overall, I like the amp’s presentation a bit better than the Mini Torii I own - there’s a bit more punch - but where the MT can be lean, Rachael sounds too warm in that part of the audio spectrum. Any suggestions on how to tame that?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Rachel bloat?
Reply #1 - 07/25/18 at 03:21:04

Well I'd try some different output tubes. . . and perhaps some 7DJ8 input tubes. Tubes will give you some interesting frequency range changes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/18 at 15:35:26

I think you'd get better answers if you told us your current tubes and associated gear.  I recently bought a Rachel and yes, it is much warmer with more Bass than my Monoblocks.  I tried some 807 power tubes but found them too warm with my Zu Audio Souls, I went back to my RFT EL-34s that I have always preferred in my Torii and they are a better match...more clarity in the bass and more detail all around.  My associated gear is a CSP3 and ZROCK II ...source is a Jolida 100 CD player or streaming from the laptop with a Red Dragonfly DAC in between it and the CSP3.

If I get around to moving my Omega Alinco speakers to try with the Rachael, I think the added warmth with the 807 tubes might be a better match.  Mark.

PS...also the gap you use on the bottom of your Omen's will change the sound as will speaker placement.  I don't do treatments so others will suggest that.

PSS...one other thing I did when I was having problems with boomy Bass when I added a sub to my primary system was to place the sub on an isolation platform and move the sub farther into the room so the wall wasn't affected as much.  The isolation worked so well to tighten and clarify the Bass, I bought two more for the HR-1 speakers.  I haven't felt the need to do so in the second system though...where the Rachel and Zu Audio "Souls' reside.  The link is the platform and company I bought them from...I recommend both.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII--auralex-subdude-ii?mrkgcl=28&...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/25/18 at 20:29:16

Thanks, Mark58. I’m using the stock tubes except for the Valvo 6922s I put in. I might try different EL-34s.  Otherwise, using a VPI Classic into a Tavish Vintage phono amp (trio of 6SL7s) and a Schitt Gungnir. At first I thought the phono amp might be mismatching with the Rachel, but streaming the exact same albums into the Gungnir offer the same bloat in the mid-bass. The 6922s definitely helped lift a veil on the higher frequencies, and alleviated the bloat somewhat, but still need to work on those basement frequencies.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/26/18 at 01:13:12

Quote:
...one other thing I did when I was having problems with boomy Bass when I added a sub to my primary system was to place the sub on an isolation platform and move the sub farther into the room so the wall wasn't affected as much.  The isolation worked so well to tighten and clarify the Bass, I bought two more for the HR-1 speakers.  I haven't felt the need to do so in the second system though...where the Rachel and Zu Audio "Souls' reside.  The link is the platform and company I bought them from...I recommend both.

I'd like to second Mark's isolation suggestion.  It can't hurt and I bet it will make an order of magnitude difference compared with tube swapping.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/28/18 at 01:22:01

Actually, the tube swapping cleared things up wonderfully. I think the problem may be solved. Mark for the win on that one.

IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/18 at 20:55:08

Curious to know what tube set you ended up with to mitigate the issue. I'm going to be moving my Rachael into a system with a pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekends, located in a room where the mid-bass frequencies are typically problematic due to a lot of wood, stone, and glass surfaces. It may not be a workable pairing since there's little I can do in terms of room treatment, but I do have a good variety of tubes I can try rolling.

Roon Nucleus>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya+>SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub (main system); Schiit Bifrost 2>Schiit Freya>Torii Mk4>DM945 (second system)
  IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/22/18 at 03:20:42

I’m quite curious, too, as I have an SE34I on order that I plan to use with my Zu Omens.  I’d like to know what tubes seemed to fix it.

Hopefully my room should only be helpful (I’m pretty giddy - I’m building a new one!), and maybe I’ll be ok with the stock tubes.

IP Logged
TimB
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/18 at 02:07:25

Quick update, I've got the amp hooked to my Zu's and sense no bloat with the stock tubes.  It sounds amazing, actually.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 10/28/18 at 15:42:26

Our Rachael drives our Omega's daily quite well, nothing out of balance. Best Amp I have owned. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print