04/20/24 at 17:08:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
End Game Audio System (Read 3147 times)
Melvin
Ex Member

End Game Audio System
07/15/18 at 16:24:43

I realize for many enthusiasts it is a never ending quest but I'm wondering if anyone has arrived at their nirvana.

For me, the low power SET/HE speaker combination has been a revelation. Sure, I could upgrade everything and likely find the sound quality further refined but, I'm just so happy with my system at this point I feel no need. (I've contemplated adding a ZROCK2 and/or a new subwoofer and I may in the near future.) I'm about to hit 61 years old and feel maybe it's time to just sit back and enjoy the music without obsessing. Long I've been obsessing.

What say you?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: End Game Audio System
Reply #1 - 07/15/18 at 17:02:12

I think in some senses most of us are never really "done." I have looked back and feel as if I have dwelled in a series of "audio plateaux." I lived a few years in Ethiopia, 8 to 9 thousand feet above sea level, and have seen real plateaux and the sense that there is always another one just ahead.

I reached one plateau early this decade with the Toriis and the PS Audio front ends I've had. And then the "Z Amigos" came along to lead me to the next plateau, the ZBIT and the ZTPRE and the ZROCK2. And then the Taboo Mk IV as an amplifier for speakers led me to appreciate the innovation of the UFO transformers and a return to the single-ended topology sound. . . . Then Steve came out with the 25th Anniversary tech and I bought in and I'm balancing on the top of the latest plateau. I can honestly say I'm so happy with my system right now that I think I could delude myself into saying "I've reached the end of the journey." I felt a need at first to go the high efficiency speaker route, but learning to tune and tweak the system with the 25th anniversary Monoblocks and CSP3-25 I realize my HR-1s, which I adore and make my really inadequate listening room a great room somehow, ARE up to the tasks I ask and I don't need other speakers.

I pitch a tent on these plateaux as I have learned they don't necessarily become permanent dwelling places. But I'm pitching a sultan's palatial tent on this one as I think I'm going to be here a while! Tube-rolling these 25th Anniversary audio weapons is adventure enough! The sound is addictive and I don't want to shake the habit. . . .  

PS: I'm almost 63

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 07/15/18 at 21:51:35

It so happens that I am also 61. In my fortunate time with audio (since I was in high school), I have 'arrived' numerous times. From the first system that I believed to be good because it was big, and I built most of it, to a system that cost about half, due to someone in need of emergency money. That particular system would have been likely one of the top in my experience, but you know, things move on. I will say that it was as great a gift to have owned so much over time, that I probably wouldn't have it any other way. The Decware amp and speakers that I now own (ZOB speakers and Rachael amp), are a stopping point for the foreseeable future. Partly due to the fact that I have not heard anything this good in many years, and then there is the gradual hearing loss that reminds me of my limits. It has been a great ride though.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/18 at 17:28:26

I've had quite a bit of gear over the years as well .. curiosity always seems to get the best of me! I tend to hold on to the gear I like most and have enough in storage for several complete systems. I feel most fortunate.

I must say this rather modest system I put together has surprised me more than any other. I think it sounds a whole lot better than it ought to for the prices paid. In fact, I think the sound quality is just superb. So happy I finally went down this road.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/18 at 14:32:56

Melvin I can relate to all that you, Lon and 4krow have stated.  I have just received my UFO25 and barely have 12 hours on it so some may think the following a bit premature.

After 43 years and many systems and auditions I have reached my endgame as far as amplification, DAC and speakers is concerned.  I will likely go for the CSP3-25 when it is available because of what I’m getting with the UFO25.  I will add my Otari MX to the mix but not for want of improvement, just one of those hobby things, so to speak.

As far as I am concerned the UFO25 is a Reference League amplifier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print