Send Topic Print
Betsy Baffles (Read 10923 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Betsy Baffles
07/14/18 at 15:59:34

I have recently started using the Caintuck Betsy Baffles. I use a REL T5 subwoofer with them. It is a down firing sub. I’m blown away with the sound I’m getting!  I figured they would sound good with acoustic music and small combo jazz, but rock such as Yes and Alan Parsons just sound incredible.  But I’m wondering how much better the bass would be with one of Randy’s open baffle bass units?  Does anyone have an opinion on this?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: Betsy Baffles
Reply #1 - 07/15/18 at 17:30:27

I just didn't really want to add a subwoofer to my Betsy's so I opt'd for a ZR2 instead.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 07/15/18 at 19:52:50

Thanks showme.  The Zrock is definitely on my list of upgrades!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/18 at 20:44:02

Hi Geno,
When I first got my SE84UFO I ran it with a pair of Betsy's and later added a pair of Randy's Alpa 15's. The passive crossover hookup didn't work well for my room so I used a Crown XLS1002 amp to power them. After trying some different low pass filter settings I found 120 hz worked best in my room. The Alpha's and Betsy's compliment each other really well and the Alpha's add depth & body to the low end.

Regards,

Ed

Roon Rock NUC 11i7 > Sonore ultrarendu > Chord Qutest dac > Bottlehead Moreplay > Jolida Foz ss-x >SE84UFO > Omega Junior 8XRS, Kimber Kable hero IC & Audience Ohno iii SC
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 07/15/18 at 23:17:53

Thanks for the response Ed.  I may end up getting at least one of Randy’s 12” units.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 07/16/18 at 21:56:25

Once you hear OB bass implemented well... you'll never go back to a box... I went from Velodyne servo subs to Hawthorne Augie's driven by a Crown... best bass I've ever had.  Works not only with my various Betsy's and other OB's, but with my Martin Logan stats just as well....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 07/17/18 at 00:08:06

I’m gonna back Maddog’s play and say that my dual 15” Caintuck Audio Hawthorne subs were a major step improvement in my system when an increase in low end is needed.  I don’t always engage this supplemental bass system with my Omega SAHO’s since they have so much tight, tuneful and voluminous bass on their own, but when I do, boy do those OB bass drivers deliver that Randy built using Bubinga wood!  

I use a LabGruppen amplifier and couldn’t speak more highly.  They are a bit pricey but I had two lower priced, but highly regarded pro amps in place prior, and none come close to the LabGruppen.  

When done well, adding tasteful bass to the Betsy OB’s from Caintuck makes for a combination that is hard to beat.  Just speaking to what I have heard, it is impossible to beat in the “bang for the buck” category.  But this is my opinion based on my ownership of Betsy Baffles and Caintuck OB Hawthorne bass drivers - up against all that I have heard in my listening room and the insane systems at the audio shows I have attended.  

I had a really nice and musical Vienna Acoustics sealed subwoofer.  It was no match for OB bass drivers with the Betsy’s.  For fast, nimble, and undistorted musical bass, they are the bees knees.  Now for home theater, that is another discussion.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #7 - 07/17/18 at 02:53:00

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for the kind words about Caintuck Audio loudspeakers .....  

Of course, Jeff is absolutely right ..... there are better choices for home theater, unless you are using a "wall" of Augie or Eminence drivers in open baffles .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/19/18 at 20:31:42

I agree with all that is said above about OB bass.  Like maddog, I use augies powered by two crown amps.

But in order to get that full range sound (below 40hz) I ended up building a sub and powering it with a plate amp.  It is not small but it integrates very well and gives you more bass you can feel.

I have tried my OBs without the augies and just the sub and this did not integrate well at all.  

So I guess my recommendation is augies or alphas in OBs and if you want a little more low end extension, then add a sub.  But keep it crossed below 50hz for integration.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 07/19/18 at 20:43:37

Agreed with Palo above. If you want bass, get a "woofer", if you want deep bass, you'll need to add a sub-woofer.  I think people tend to conflate the two, either out of laziness or lack of understanding.

Back to the Caintuck speakers - I don't think I've heard anything from him I didn't like! And I'm a picky bastard. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/19/18 at 23:28:45

I'll risk swimming upstream and say that I have a pair of REL T7i and absolutely love them. Smiley

Spent a lot more money though......... Sad
I was thinking resale value down the road. Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/20/18 at 00:43:54

Hey if it works....

Where do you cross them?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/18 at 03:16:09

@ 60 hz
They (REL T7i) have a front firing 8" and a down firing 10" passive, so I would think if needed they could be run higher.
The things are tiny too at barely over a square foot, another factor for me. Smiley

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/20/18 at 12:55:08

I think the fact that you have two helps a lot.  Mine is a 2 ft cube basically which is big.  15" driver.  It's so heavy that I haven't played with positioning but seems to work well no matter where it is.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 07/21/18 at 19:22:54

Can someone clarify how two of Randy’s woofer units with plate amps would connect to my SE84UFO?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #15 - 07/21/18 at 21:12:22

Hello Geno,

I just sent a detailed reply to your email concerning that question .....  

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/22/18 at 16:22:00

with my betsy's ive tried the following:
1) augie's (2x) w/ gallo sa
2) A15 w/ gallo sa
3) dayton titantic 12" closed passive with gallo sa

i like the augie combo the best, but i use these in my main 2ch setup with maggies.... and i don't have room for 2x ob mid-subs.

second is the dayton titantic, which ive been using for about 1yr now and have been very happy with.

i use this system for 2ch and and 2.1ht use.

just my 2cents..

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #17 - 07/23/18 at 19:00:59

Guys,  Right now, I have a powered REL Sub connected via High Level to my SE84UFO. If I get an Alpha Woofer unit with plate amp, can I also connect it High Level?  The Betsys would be connected to the speaker terminals like normal, the powered Sub is connected naked cable to the bottom of the speaker terminals, and the Alpha plate amp would be connected with bananas at the top of the terminals. Would this cause any problems?

Thanks, Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/27/18 at 23:00:04

Well, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Betsy Baffles direct from Randy because I only wanted the standard Red Oak ply with edge banding...

I'm hoping they're a good pairing with my new SE 84 UFO Zen amp...

I'm still wondering if I could run my other speakers in parallel off of the same amplifier output terminals... My current speakers are about 90DB efficient, and the Betsys are around 92 DB...

I figure the combined nominal impedance would be about 3.5 ohms...

But the disparity in efficiency might be a problem... Anyone want to chime in on this?   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/15/18 at 00:59:42

My Betsy Baffles arrive tomorrow... I'm excited about this... Now, to get my SE 84 UFO, which is working its way up the amp list... Randy was a very easy person to deal with, and I couldn't have found a more responsive HI FI dealer if my life depended on it, really...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print