Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Changing bases
07/02/18 at 18:40:13

I'm trying to talk myself out of changing the bases on my components. . . .

I got in the CSP3 25th Anniversary edition and it struck me immediately that the walnut grain on that one matched one of my Monoblock's cases far better than the other Monoblock's case. And if I open up one of the Monoblocks to make a change I will strongly wish to open up the other and roll the  OC2 tubes on both with a Tesla version that I really love the sound of in my Toriis. And my Taboo Mk IV, which is now in my second system has the most amazing walnut case I've seen from Decware: it has a burled finish, really impressive looking. So I might as well put that case on the CSP3 if I'm going to use that to start the exchange program.

Then I would have three stickers on the bottom of the bases that would be for the wrong components. . . and would have to form sticker surgery.

Sigh. First World problems. I'm going to try to forget that I came up with the idea.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Re: Changing bases
Reply #1 - 07/02/18 at 19:28:33

Well, Lon, you could have Bob make new bases for ALL the components and request that they all match and have the burled wood. I am sure he would comply and then you could, perhaps, persuade Decware to retag each base before it was sent to you. Then you would have extra bases to "roll" along with the tubes!!! Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/02/18 at 19:53:18

I did inquire about another "burled" base with Bob. . . seems it would be difficult to come up with. Not sure I need to "roll" bases. . .my tube-rolling habit is bad enough! Wink And the expense would be considerable and not one I'd like to make. (I'd rather save towards. . . speakers perhaps as we've discussed in email).

I know you're joking (or think so) but that really is a sensible plan!

I may do the base swapping. . . but not this month. I want to leave everything as is and seasoning in more the next few weeks, and then after that one of my very best friends is making his first visit to Ohio from Texas and we'll be listening to a lot of music!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/02/18 at 20:22:10

Lon,

Sounds like these would be nice changes visually and to check out the VR sound changes!

I bet all the screws and screw holes are interchangeable, but may be worth checking.

I guess you are familiar with the hot cap/shock potential thing. But just in case, even if I turn off my Torii or CSP3 while playing music, the electrolytic caps do not always discharge completely. Especially in the CSP3, the caps at the headphone jacks tend to stay hot (with mine anyway). So avoiding your hand being a connection between the hot and ground cap connector/leads or hot connectors to ground is a good plan.

I always drain them to be sure, using a wire soldered to big resistors, but I have been doing more than changing the bases and VRs, so particularly careful.

So glad you are loving your new amps and pre!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/02/18 at 20:26:43

I think everything would line up and the mechanical aspects of changing the bases would be easily accomplished. . . . It looks as if all would line up but I'd look carefully before undertaking this.

And thanks for the reminder of the electrical discharge danger. I know it's there and I am sure I needed the reminder as well.

And yes, I'm loving these amps and the preamp. I'm relieved that they work so well with my other components and especially my HR-1s. (Though I confess I'm wondering about DNA or DNA2 speakers for future exploration).

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/02/18 at 22:36:01

Yes, I can imagine how good they sound now, and also attraction to DNAs...fast, fast and fast! I wonder when the DNA2 will show for sale!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/03/18 at 15:31:02

Yeah, Will, I have wondered about the DNA2 showing up on the site too. Bob better have a few of them built ahead as I suspect, when word gets out as to how good they sound, orders will be flooding in!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/03/18 at 16:17:16

Yes lazb, I bet they will be really good!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/05/18 at 16:38:45

Everything sounds so good right now that I don't want to touch anything at all. . . . But I will probably change all these bases out soon, probably at the end of the month after my pal Dave leaves from his visit.

I'm beginning to realize I need more efficient speakers. Everything is really just right for me though on occasion I'd wish I could get a little bit more volume out of the Blu-ray player before distortion, though it's rare. My wife however is beginning to see how good the sound is for movies and TV and she doesn't quite hear as well as I do and she wants to push the volume into the distortion range.

I really do think the DNA2 wuld be the best choice. Joe tells me his pair has a tweeter, same as used in my HR-1s. Truth be told, I was looking forward to a ONE driver DNA2 and I'll see if I could have a pair made for me that is just a DNA pair scaled up if I decide to buy them.

The dilemna for me is I would have to sell all my excess Decware components to get a pair. I spent an hour today playing around with my second system and realize all I need there is my Taboo Mk IV and my Traps, and it would be even better if I moved my HR-1s up there as they are far more efficient. So I could sell my Taboo Mk III, two differently set up CSP2+ preamps, a Torii Mk II and a Torii Mk III. That would do it. But it's so hard to give up both CSP2+ and to sell the Torii Mk III. Still. . . I don't need them, and I won't have a real use for them in the future as I no't be able to have another system or a bigger second system.

Decisions. Decisions. This habit sure leads one to conjecture and wonder . . . and sometimes decisions. Expensive ones!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print