Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:43:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions on Decware Inspired Amp (Read 3574 times)
Lawson Kelley
Verified Member

Opinions on Decware Inspired Amp
06/26/18 at 00:24:22

I am looking for used Decware equipment here in Australia and it there is not much to be found. However I did run across a "Decware Inspired" EL84 amp that is for sale and looks to be well built. Would love to get more experienced opinions.

https://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2015/11/el84-se-ul-power-amp-with-attenuat...
Asking price is around $400 usd.

Lawson

IP Logged
Retro
Verified Member

Re: Opinions on Decware Inspired Amp
Reply #1 - 06/28/18 at 14:16:22

It was an amp I built with some reference to Decware ideas. I have great respect for the Decware amps and design.

Partially inspired by Decware design and Bruce Heron of oddwatt loving the EL84 I built this amp. My build was a SE UL with Audio Note Tin foil caps, National NOS EL84s, Alps Blue Velvet pot and Ozzie Spotted Gum base. Sophia mesh plate rectifier tube.

Hammond iron and Edcor OPTs with WBT silver solder used throughout. When it came up for re-sale I nearly put in an offer to buy it back. It was really that good.

image_013.jpeg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/28/18 at 14:57:17

Sounds like a great Amp.  What's the difference between a Triode
and SE UL Amp?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Retro
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/28/18 at 22:54:07

Decware strap the EL84s as triodes and tie the screen grid to the plate. In my build the OPTs have a feedback tap on the primary winding of the tranni. That tap sends part of the signal back to the screen grid to act as local NFB.

This allows the amp to generate a little more power, extends the frequency range and to me sounds better all over with more solid bass.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print