Send Topic Print
Pierre Sprey (Read 3445 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Pierre Sprey
06/21/18 at 00:29:21

I had an interesting conversation with Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade the other day.  I bought some Mapleshade speaker cable, and called them because I had a few questions.  During the conversation, we talked about room treatment. He very much dislikes absorbers. He said that he thought wood worked much better.  For bass traps, he recommended plywood or solid wood across the corner. Also, he said that just simple wood pieces hung like pictures on the wall produced a more natural sound. He said that absorbers resulted in too much unnatural sound.  Mapleshade sells a "trilateral" diffuser that looks interesting. Does anyone have an opinion about this?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Pierre Sprey
Reply #1 - 06/22/18 at 18:57:02

Basic physics says that their little triangles aren't really going to do much. And the fact that they slam QRD diffusers as sounding bad...well...the guys at GearSlutz had a few things to say about Mapleshade.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/841476-maple...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Pierre Sprey
Reply #2 - 06/23/18 at 01:28:16

Thanks for the response Raven. That’s kinda what I figured. It is funny that he makes certain claims about their products with nothing to back it up.  But I do like what I’m hearing using their speaker cable that is radically different. At this point, still a bit on the bright side, but the bass is coming along pretty nicely. Nice clarity.  Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print