Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:54:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Decware "Extended Family" (Read 2469 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

The Decware "Extended Family"
06/14/18 at 07:06:13

So, as I am preparing to write about everything from my trip to Toronto, I have to get this out.  My latest life changing experience in audio stemmed from my recent trip to the Toronto area to visit Ed Pong at his recording studio, UltraAnalogue Recordings.  The trip was two-pronged.  First off, I have always been curious/intrigued/mesmerized by what Ed has built at UA.  So, simply put, I had to see it first hand.  Secondly, I needed to check this box in life...  see cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan perform live, at whatever effort or cost.  

In fulfilling this experiential and aural fantasy, I have come to realize a very unique, amazing, and important phenomenon - the Decware "Extended Family."  I am not talking about us customers, but rather those like-minded and passionate businesses recognized and loosely affiliated with Decware.  This is something I feel to be very important if you are a customer of Decware or potential purchaser "on the fence."  In case you haven't noticed, Decware is doing something unusual for a direct-to-consumer manufacturer.  Steve endorses and sells the products of others.  While it may seem insignificant or easy to discount, try to name another direct-to-consumer designer/manufacturer (not distributor) that actually sells major products that could be considered competitive.  Exactly!  

My first real-life experience with this was with Randy from Caintuck Audio and Bob Ziegler from Turning Point Audio at last year's Decfest.  But I really didn't think much of it at the time.  And while I haven't experienced both product AND live person with Louis Chochos at Omega Loudspeakers, I do own his wonderful speakers and have conversed with him numerous times via phone and email, so I 100% include him in this statement. Fast forward to last month, I just spent a couple days with another person and business that Steve and Decware not only vouches for, but actually endorses by selling their products - and that is Ed Pong at UltraAnalogue recordings.  As a reel-to-reel fanatic, I was made aware of Ed by Steve in this very forum.

What is so moving to me about Steve's endorsement of these four people, and these four companies, is not only the quality of product, but ALSO the quality of people.  I own two sets of Caintuck Audio open baffle speaker systems and have personally met Randy Rash - one of the most endearing people you will ever meet.  I have both heard, and personally met Bob Ziegler of Turning Point Audio and the Decware speakers he has had his hands in creating, particularly the HR-1's - superb!  I own a set of Omega SAHO Loudspeakers and have had enough personal interaction with Louis to get to know him - another stellar person and company.  And finally, I have met Ed Pong and can now proudly say that I own a set of tapes from UltraAnalogue recordings.  

I have personally heard and own products that all four of these people have designed and manufactured.  These are products that Steve has gone out on a limb to say are worthy of your attention.  He even goes a step further and allows you to buy a particular offering from each of these companies on the Decware website.  Not typical, not common, and absolutely a tribute to all four of these fine people and the fine products they produce.   I subconsciously always knew this, but after visiting Ed Pong at his place just outside of Toronto, it finally hit me.  Ed is a special person.  He is a kind and hospitable man.  The experience he gave me was second-to-none and for that I cannot thank him enough.  Like the others mentioned above, he is a world-class person!  Then I got Ed's tapes of the Narek concert.  The experience was so moving it really forced me to think of how I even got to know UltraAnalogue.   Well, folks, it was Steve at Decware.  I then began to think more broad-scope and quickly came to this realization that the only people (who happened to be talented professionals) that Steve surrounds and associates himself and Decware with - are truly special.  I personally know ALL of these people, and I own or have experienced firsthand ALL of their products.  

For me, the moral of this story is... if Steve goes so far as to invite another brand into the Decware "Extended Family," then you ought to pay attention. This viewpoint has been in development for a couple years now, but I didn't realize it until the final chapter - meeting Ed Pong and experiencing UltraAnalogue.  

Keep an eye out for my future posts in the Analog Tape forum about my recent audio journey to UltraAnalogue.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: The Decware "Extended Family"
Reply #1 - 06/14/18 at 09:24:31

I second all that you say here, Jeff. I have a pair of Louis's speakers, multiple pairs of Randy's speakers, and have had a couple of pairs of Bob's speakers. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Ed (yet), but I hope to in the future. All these gents no only make great products, but what great people to do business with! And yes, it speaks volumes about how Steve conducts his business that he wants us to hear great products even if they aren't made by Decware. I'm really glad that I ran across the Decware site, and that I took the time to drive to Peoria from my dad's house in the St. Louis area. That was in 2012, and that audition blew me away. I ended up buying a MiniTorii, DM945s, Trapeziums, interconnects, power cords, speaker cables. AND the best part? I went there to buy a more expensive setup, but Steve took the time to listen to what I was trying to do, and suggested that there was a better way to accomplish my goal - even though it meant that my total purchase would be less. Needless to say, I was sold on the product, but more sold on the guy. And I've built a number of audio systems around Decware products since then, and had many enjoyable/transporting listening sessions. Of course now I'm drooling over a whole 25th Anniversary system, w/CSP25 feeding two UFO25s. Hey, a guy's gotta dream, right?

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: The Decware "Extended Family"
Reply #2 - 06/14/18 at 15:27:59

Jeff,

Thanks for posting that, you, Steve & many others in this group have that amazing (at least, certainly to me) ability to articulate in a very concise and understandable way. I’m looking forward to reading your follow up and continue to delve into the past posts which are truly a goldmine.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print