Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:07:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From QUAD ESLs to HE and Decware? (Read 5979 times)
Jtycho
Verified Member

From QUAD ESLs to HE and Decware?
06/11/18 at 16:28:03

Hi, New here, but have been interested in high efficiency speakers and Decware for years without ever taking the plunge. My main system is now made up of restored QUAD ESLs and Blue Circle gear. I think it's pretty amazing, but I'm still curious about what else is out there.

For fun I was thinking of picking up some Audio Nirvana Alnico+ drivers and building a box or buying something prebuilt like CRS Acoustics makes and a pair of the 25th anniversary zen triodes. So here's the question, mostly to those that have experience with properly running ESLs: would going to HE single drivers be a backwards, forwards, or sideways step? What do they do better? Worse? One of the greatest attributes of the QUADs is their cohesiveness which almost no multiple drivers speaker can touch, I imagine single drivers would compete well. Any thoughts? Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: From QUAD ESLs to HE and Decware?
Reply #1 - 06/11/18 at 19:40:49

Hi Jtycho ! I was running ML's, good as they were I wanted to try single drivers, or rather knew I would to compliment the low power Decware amps. Well, tubes in general. I bought a pair of Lowther acoustas with DX2 drivers and it was a v/good decision. They are extremely faithful across the spectrum, open sounding, lively, and to me do everything the ML's did, but have that effortless ease. The ML's could sound manufactured with their electrostatic atmosphere.
Even the bass is beautiful, and you come to admire it. If you want a thump, or those low low notes I guess you can augment them but it's all a matter of scale. I wouldn't mind those lowest notes myself so might do something in the future.
The acoustics are probably Lowthers entry point. Rear horn loaded.
Front end and amps, cables, are what make them sing so well. So as always I come back to praising the Decware amps.

I really liked the Stats, had them for five years. But, always near-field. Six feet triangle. Lovely, great depth because of their nearness. Sometimes you'd wonder about the head-in-vice thing. Have a friend round to listen and you have to give them the best seat while you Listen to one channel.
If I'd have had four or five round, well I don't think about it. Been there done that. The Lowthers are twelve feet away ( new accomadation) ten feet apart. Nice. I can sit anywhere on the sofa and get good stereo. Much more natural. Depth, yes I'd say so. Just a more satisfying experience. The band is over there.   Cool

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Jtycho
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/18 at 20:58:12

Thanks Syd! It sounds like it may be worth the shot just to scratch that itch!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/12/18 at 05:03:28

If you want a great way to scratch that itch without it costing you thousands of dollars consider getting a pair of Caintuck Audio's Open Baffle speakers.  They sound huge on our 2 watt amplifiers and the imaging is fantastic.  This way you get many of the advantages of the dipole speaker just like your quads.  In fact I would have to say these speakers despite their low cost and humble look are about the closest thing to a pair of quads I've ever heard.  It's just too much fun not to try it.  We have a pair of their speakers here on the site: https://www.decware.com/newsite/Caintuck.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jtycho
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/18 at 09:48:54

Thanks Steve I’ll take a look. I do hesitate to take a step back which is why I was starting with a higher budget. You could be right though, I can get in for cheap and if I like the general sound I can always upgrade.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/13/18 at 00:10:21

Hi Jtycho and welcome to the forums (glad to see you made it over here).  There are a couple guys running Audio Nirvana products here on the forums so hopefully they'll stop in a give some feedback.  

I can't answer your question in comparison to the Quads/Audio Nirvana stuff, but I do have some experience with Maggies 1.71's.  The biggest thing I can recall audibly is the soundstage of the maggies had an exaggeration and seemed slightly artificial to me, the bass was not great and there was a definite sweet spot without much leeway.  In comparison to my Omega RS7 (which aren't a regular model in his current lineup), the electrostatic speed is there, but with a much more forgiving sweet spot and a more realistic soundstage with better bass (though I still augment mine with subs) and the best part is that holographic imaging.  

This coupled with the fact that the Omega's can be driven on 2 watts and the cost of an entry level Decware/Omega system is just sick in comparison to the some of the insane pricing of what's out there made it a no brainer for a retired Navy veteran such as me.  Omega's AlNiCo/Hemp model are even better at tone, a little more resolving and the decay of notes is especially noteworthy ~ so the AlNiCo/Hemp would be a step up from what I currently have.

I thought about shopping for other speakers a while back and have demo'd quite a few brands, but after spending time with them I keep going back and appreciating the Omega's so much that I lost interested and going on 9 years these are by far the longest I've held onto a pair of speakers since getting into this hobby without wanting to trade up.

If I had really big budget there are a few speakers that have really peaked my interest though.  I would definitely look into a pair of Wolf Von Langa SON with his field coil drivers and the Voxativ with their field coil drivers as well.  Another option, but more reasonably priced is Pure Audio Project's OB system with either the Voxativ field coils or Wolf Von Langa field coils.

IP Logged
Jtycho
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 06/13/18 at 09:32:16

Thanks Beowulf. The QUADs have similar issues as your Maggies but what they do right they do better than any speaker I’ve ever heard. No matter what else I buy I don’t plan on selling them, but money isn’t free flowing enough to make changes that aren’t worthwhile!

Those Pure Project speakers look interesting, and the Wolf Von Langa amazing. Man I wish you never showed me them. Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/13/18 at 12:01:49

Yeah, I remember a discussion we had about your QUADs and realize you're just thinking to perhaps add a different flavor to your already stellar line up … part of the hobby is wondering what else is out there, etc.  There's no way I would give up the QUADS either, yours look "minty" btw! Cool

Yeah, the WVL are on my dream list of speakers.  I really like the way WVL posts the specs to his drivers as well and the fact that you can buy the drivers separately and have somebody build some cabinets for you or in an already built cabinet such as the SON. I keep telling myself … one day! Cheesy

IP Logged
Jtycho
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/13/18 at 12:19:06

That is part of the hobby, and I KNOW what the solution is: I need to get out to dealers and audio shows until I hear something (or don’t) that makes me say I NEED to have it. Otherwise it’s all speculation. The QUADs really are phenomenal, but I still look at other gear and wonder... The problem is with three little ones running around it’s incredibly difficult to get out in the world!

Those PAP with horns look fantastic. The quality of drivers mixed with direct pricing make them seem like a relative bargain.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/15/18 at 00:20:47

Yeah,those PAP horns had a great review on Dagogo.

One more driver/speaker company I forgot to mention is from Cube Audio (Poland).  I was looking at these guys a while ago and there was not a lot of information on them, however their website has been updated.  There seems as a lot of effort has gone into the design and build quality and I think these sound like they are going to be pretty spectacular.  Being from the Poland they are not crazy priced and you can buy the drivers and they will give you a set of plans for the boxes or completed speakers from them ~ they have a US Dealer already.

IP Logged
Jtycho
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 06/15/18 at 09:37:43

Cube Audio does look interesting. I stumbled upon them a few weeks ago. They do look interesting and I’d love to hear them but I struggle with spending that much money with an esoteric brand. I’ve done it before, mostly when I believed I was buying my “last” piece of gear, but now I tend to want gear that retains some resale value.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print