Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:05:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UltraAnalogue Recordings - Narek Hakhnazaryan (Read 5318 times)
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

UltraAnalogue Recordings - Narek Hakhnazaryan
06/08/18 at 20:24:21

I'm very excited to release my 1st recordings of star cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan with pianist Benjamin Smith!  www.ultraanaloguerecordings.com

He won the Tchaikovsky Competition in 2011 & has a worldwide career.
https://www.intermusica.co.uk/artist/Narek-Hakhnazaryan

These 3 tapes are from his recent May concert, recorded LIVE.

1) Brahms Cello Sonata No.2 (Live)
2) Shostakovich Cello Sonata & Salut d'Amour (Live)
3) Albeniz Asturias, Shchedrin Imitating Albeniz, Tchaikovsky Nocturne & Pezzo Capriccioso & Sollima Lamentatio (Live)

I've never heard any cellist play like Narek.... incredible tone & I'm happy to say we got it on these tapes....!

Ed Pong

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: UltraAnalogue Recordings - Narek Hakhnazaryan
Reply #1 - 06/13/18 at 03:18:47

Ed,

Can you post the youtube link of Narek playing...  I knew when I saw that video I would be purchasing a tape. Smiley

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/13/18 at 12:30:45

Steve,

Sorry, I did not video this concert...

Ed

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/14/18 at 02:41:28

Hi Ed,

The link you sent me awhile back introduced me to the artist and made me aware of his talent which in turn makes me want something on tape that he has done so I don't think it has to be an actual video of the recording session or even the same music.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 06/14/18 at 04:41:36

Hi Steve,
I know exactly what you are referring to.  Here is the link to that amazing performance of Sollima Lamentatio by Narek that Ed shared prior.  Simply breathtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkIsdDG2Rk

This was performed at Ed's place and recorded on reel #3.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 06/14/18 at 07:34:15

Well, I need to be up early in the morning to prepare for an extended weekend trip. My intention was to experience Tape #1 since the anticipation was killing me.  I would then be responsible and pack/prepare for the early morning departure.  Well, I am now on Tape #3 and it is 11:30pm PST.  The sound I am experiencing with these tapes is far more powerful than my will to be responsible or my body's natural tendency to sleep.  I am wired right now!!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/14/18 at 13:40:29

Hi Steve,

There is an interesting twist to the recording of the Sollima Lamintatio..

It was planned to be the encore piece, however, Narek wanted to play another encore piece before the Sollima... the weather was starting to get warm in Toronto & Murphy's law would have it, concert day was the hottest day of the year.... I always turn off the AC to have silence so with 80 people in the room, by the end it was getting pretty warm... I saw Narek wiping his brow after every movement... he played the 1st encore Salut d'Amour & after a few bows... did not come out to play the Sollima.. I thought he was too hot & everyone moved out to the refreshments...

I asked Narek, "was it too hot to play the Sollima?" I was so looking forward to hear & record that.... for everyone! He said, "people stopped clapping, so I couldn't go out again.... Well, Narek told me if he was not a cellist, he would be a "footballer" There was a soccer final on & he said, "let me see how my team is doing.... if they're ahead... maybe I'll play it...."

Well, when his team won... he jumped up - with a second wind said "let's do it...!" 1/2 the people had left by then, so I rounded everyone up, to their surprise, & he played the Sollima that is on one of these tapes... the only small glitch, is I did not think to turn off the AC, which fortunately is very low level & not really an issue in the recording...

After this, we rushed to a lobsterfest king crab dinner & then off to the airport for his 10pm flight to his next concert....

WOW - a whirlwind few days with an amazing artist! I'm so happy to finally have him on tape.... the sound of the cello textures are incredible... he is definitely a "formula 1 driver..."

Ed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print