Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:15:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lack of e-nun-ci-a-tion in modern music (Read 8070 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Lack of e-nun-ci-a-tion in modern music
06/05/18 at 18:54:22

It started around the time the Beatles were active. You couldn't always make out the words.

In Obladi Oblada they sang; "happy ever after in the market place . . .", but I heard," happy as a rafter in the marketplace."

Then in  "Reminiscing" the Little River Band sang, "and those Porter tunes made us dance across the room " but I heard "and the Border Tune" (This lyric is ridiculous because Glenn Miller wasn't particularly known for reprising Porter tunes; however his song 'Border Tune" could make somebody dance across the room).

Then Christopher Cross sang "I'll Never Be The Same [without you here].
'I'll live alone" . . " but I hear "ali bullow"

There must be  more examples out there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Lack of e-nun-ci-a-tion in modern music
Reply #1 - 06/05/18 at 18:57:37

I seem able to understand most of the pronunciations (I think it's that more than enunciations myself). It may have helped that I was in a British boarding school in African for three years and for more than five years in Africa heard a lot of English as second or third language speakers.

The two that I have been told others here are:

"There's a bathroom on the right" instead of "There's a bad moon on the rise" from Creedence Clearwater Revival's single, and

"Exuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" from Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze"

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/18 at 21:20:45

gotta listen to Frazey Ford.  I lover her but I have no idea what she's singing.

The whole "The Junkie Song" with the Be Good Tanyas

corrected.... Manfred Mann Blinded by the light, Rolled up like a Douche  I was convinced that's what they were singing

According to the internet (so it must be true)
Actually the song was written by Bruce Springsteen. "Revved up like a deuce" is referring to being excited in a manner similar to way "32 Ford Coupe (A deuce coupe) motor would be.

which makes a lot more sense

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/18 at 21:33:01

For years I thought Desmond Dekka singing the "Israelites" started with the immortal ' Get up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast '  :)
I still hear it now.

'Wrapped up like a douch' ? Manfred Mans' Earthband sang that in "Blinded by the Light".........or did they ?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/06/18 at 00:37:48

Well, I confess I find that one a little hard to decipher. It's supposed to be:

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night
Blinded by the light

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/18 at 02:30:35

It's not just me.  

State in the article : https://www.loudersound.com/features/story-behind-song-blinded-by-the-light-by-m...

“Suddenly I had the American record label on the phone saying: ‘We can’t get radio stations in the southern bible belt to play the record because everyone thinks you’re singing about a vaginal douche’.”

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 06/07/18 at 05:35:08

Jimmy Reed: He was drunk most of the time and you can hear it his constant slurring.  Lyric:  "I found true love, one worth waiting for" always sounded like "I found true love, one was the way to f*%k" to me. Took me many years before I finally got down to finding the correct lyric!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/07/18 at 12:30:44

Fact you can look up the lyrics to all these damn slurred songs is the only way to be sure of what the lyrics are.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/09/18 at 15:33:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyHNryKojDY

Jumping Jack Flash -  Whoopi Golberg movie scene.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/09/18 at 16:54:10

Douche meant nothing over here. It wasn`t until I heard it on South Park some years ago that I realised it had a derogatory meaning. Someone was being called a douche bag by one of the kids. ("The biggest douche in the universe")

I just re-listened to Israelites again, several versions. Wow, how bad can my hearing have been. It`s the second time he sings it and no way can I have mis heard it so bad. Old tranny radios, on the dance floor in the reggae days, I`m searching for excuses.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/19 at 23:26:29

One of my favorites is John Prine's warm up to his song "That's the Way the World Goes Round". One fan thought it was a song about a "Happy Enchilada". The real verse is "It's a half an inch of water, think your gonna drown. He said he doesn't sing songs about food. That's more Jimmy Buffet.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/14/19 at 04:46:35

I've heard that Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' was what
"In the Garden of Eden" sounded like when sung while stoned.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print