Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unsuccessful pairing (Read 4685 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Unsuccessful pairing
05/30/18 at 23:56:26

Hey Lon, and anyone else with a ZR2,

I tried my ZR2 in a new system, and couldn't get any sound. So odd. I came out of my CD transport, into my Border Patrol SE dac, into the ZR2, then into an Audio Mirror preamp, and out to my amps. Nothing. Then I took the ZR2 out, and the sound returned. Then I tried going from the dac to the preamp first, and then into the ZR2. Nothing. Even odder. I was pretty sure that the ZR2 was working, as the tube was lit up, but just to be sure, I plugged it into a different system, and it worked fine. What the hell?!?!? The specs on the Border Patrol dac are minimal, so I'm not sure about the output voltage, but the (really minimal) paperwork does say that the dac will not work with all preamps (although it does with the Audio Mirror), so I guess it's just a mismatch, and the ZR2 doesn't recognize it? Any experience with this?

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Unsuccessful pairing
Reply #1 - 05/31/18 at 00:15:11

Hey Randy,

That's totally puzzling. I know that the ZROCK2 may not "work" in every situation, but it should at least work and all I can think of is that the in and out were reversed but then you should at least get an annoying hum. . . .

Weird. One time I had it fail to work it was because the power cord wasn't seated properly, but if the tube is glowing that's not it.

I'm really at a loss. It should work!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/18 at 01:11:32

Even on bypass?  I've only had an issue with mine when the power cord wasn't inserted far enough.  The ZR2 worked fine but suddenly it faded out and I though the tube had failed.

I wonder if something got jiggled loose in the shipping?  If Steve is right, UPS bounced it all the way from Decware to your door!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/18 at 01:30:00

Thanks for the replies, guys, but I don't think that there was anything wrong with the unit, as it plays fine in my other system. And it's a pretty easy setup, with the inner jacks being the input, and the outers being the output, just like my ZStage, so it's a mystery.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/31/18 at 01:38:13

P.S. I found that the Border Patrol dac "needs to work into an impedance of at least 20K Ohms". The ZRock2 Specs state an input impedance of 47K Ohms, so that's not the problem. And I figured that by putting the preamp (which I know the Border Patrol dac works with) in between the two, that would cure any mismatch between the dac and the ZR2, but it didn't. I guess some combinations just aren't meant to be.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 06/01/18 at 02:44:23

I have updated the ZROCK2 owner's manual with hook-up information just to make it crystal clear, something I had forgotton to do when I wrote the manual.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print