Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:59:11 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi to all, New guy here... (Read 46386 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...
Reply #50 - 07/05/18 at 14:24:31

Lon, Acetone,Will, Stone, Jeff, thanks all for looking and the responses. Will, (as always), Stone, thanks for the extra input and thoughts, very helpful, can't tell you how much the additional input helps to sort things. I've gotten to have several late into the night listening sessions and things are coming together and my head is at least beginning to get wrapped around this whole thing. The combination of gear and Roon and Tidal are freaking AWESOME, totally blowing me away with where they have taken this whole experience. Had a friend over who has been in broadcasting his entire life (also my source for master cd's, 1000's Smiley) he's pretty impressed, spent of few hours listening yesterday with he and his wife, before we BBQ'd, think I might have relit his Audio Bug.
Here's a few shots of my newly implied system, got it on my little monkey table, got rid of the rack, the sonicTransporter just disappears over next to the tv so I can access the cd transport to rip, and the center... my totally awesome ToriMKIV.
I need to hear the new DNA's, this room is very large even with treatment, I need eq, I need more gain, I need more power... I, Am, SUNK! lol, what a gas!  ;D

BrooklynWoosm.jpg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 07/05/18 at 14:25:33

one more

sonicTransportersm.jpg

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 07/05/18 at 14:26:54

Last one

ZenTableSpkrssm.jpg

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 07/05/18 at 18:28:30

Oh man, a lot of fun!

After you and your equipment feel settled and more burnt in, an area worth considering is vibration. Especially with the resonance of glass surfaces, but everything, vibration really can/does effect the sound, different frequencies having more effect than others depending on surfaces and feet. Presumably, part of why different vibration reduction feet/bases sound different is defined by how much vibration they mitigate and drain, and how complete the frequency range is that they mitigate.

Seems to me digital in particular can be pretty easily damaged by vibration, but everything. Trying different  feet under my Torii or CSP3 has always been noticeable enough to make clear choices as to what foot/platform sounds better, at least with those I have tried. And not just the DAC for digital. I can hear different feet and weight setups from my Mac Mini depending on choices. They seem to compliment one another, weight and feet. Though not the only area you can hear it, a good tool for me is to compare air and fine detail using different vibration tools, including decays and ambient info, spaciousness and definition. This is a great tool I learned from Eric Hider of dBAudioLabs years ago, and works well with everything...cables, tubes, whatever. The finer, more delicate information appears more fragile, and it effects everything, but is pretty easy to read as part of the evaluation.

Yours is a different puzzle than mine, looking so good with your gear out in your living space, where mine is tucked away in a cabinet. So how feet or platforms look is not a big deal here. Anyway, some day, I suspect you might want to try some things.

Have fun!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #54 - 07/05/18 at 20:24:04

Hey Scott,  you need... EQ, Gain, Power ?... Sounds like you might need to go the route of the Zrock2 (eq-weight-gain) and CSP3 - gain/heft-weight/power. The Zrock2 would take care of some of this to start. It's a great tool. Best to check out the forum on both units!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 07/06/18 at 01:15:15

Will Thanks, interesting points, definitely on my list, I actually don't mind the looks of many of the isolation products, so that's not an issue for me. I certainly appreciate esthetics, but I'm in for whatever it's gonna take to keep improving my system, hell, I have GIK hanging on the walls and standing all over in the room so... Smiley.
 Acetone, couldn't agree with you, Will and probably a lot on the forum, that's certainly the direction I want to head. I see moving from the Zu's to probably DNA2's, moving the Woo HP Amp, the Sony HAP1 and Zu's into another system, (hard to justify), to friend, or just sell them.
 Started in on the other postings on those items, going to try ripping some cd's tomorrow and see how that goes, always an adventure. I'll be lost totally and making phone calls I'm sure.  ::) Hopefully, Andrew at Small Green and Damian & Chebon at MyTek don't start screening my calls! LOL, I haven't bugged Steve for at least a week, he seems to have created a little extra work for himself this summer with the new amp, when does the guy sleep?

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...Got a Buzz Here
Reply #56 - 07/19/18 at 13:05:10

Hi to all,

I recently got motivated by the replies from ginny's post on "AC Receptacle advise" and undertook running a dedicated circuit to my Listening Room. I had a sub-panel next to my main box in the basement, which I re-did and separated out the neutrals and the earth ground buss bars, that panel does a run outside to another sub which feeds a pond pump and a 240v spa circuit, this box I also rewired to separate the neutrals and earth ground busses and also ran an addition solid copper earth ground directly to my meter.(pics are on ginny's post)
 OK, so, everything seems to have worked out well, except, in my listening room on the 20' vaulted ceiling are two Hunter ceiling fans with LED light kits on them. These of course are on a totally separate circuit and cause no problems with the fans running, but when I introduce the LED lights (on a restate, of course) I create a buzz through my system, it is very evident when I have the gain on my ZBIT anywhere from 6 to say 3 o'clock, when I go the last click to 4 o'clock it disappears. I can't detect any other noise from anything else in the house (checked last night, late, when it was dead silent and heard nothing). My only very uneducated guess is that my main panel has "co-mingled" neutral and earth grounds on the buss bars, which I have been told, although not confirmed, that new codes say even the main box should have completely separate busses and not be mixed. Is this correct, and should it be my next move or does anyone more knowledgable than myself (which would be everyone on the forum!) have any other ideas or suggestions.
 Whew... sorry for the wordiness, tried to be concise but it always seems to ramble. Thanks for any input you might have. The "Beat Goes On" late into each night... Smiley Cool

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 07/19/18 at 13:59:39

It's most likely the LED driver causing a dirty feedback..
Replace the LED lamp or if not just forget about it..,
light can be manage from other option.

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 07/19/18 at 14:15:09

You might try different LED bulbs. My garage door opener will not work with some of them and the garage door people say they sell bulbs which do not interfere. Just a thought.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 07/19/18 at 14:29:03

Vooraphile & lazb,

Thanks for the input, and yes, I can easily manage the lights by simply not using them, I can't change bulbs so to speak because they are the kind of light kits that have a whole circuit of LEDs built into them, i.e. not replaceable.
I guess my main question is whether or not I need to address my main panel and breakout the Neutral vs Earth Ground busses into separate entities.
It's the only thing I can identify that would be able to travel back into my "Dedicated" line run and cause a buzz.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 07/22/18 at 14:56:31

To clarify, the neutral and earth buss in your main board are in contact?

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 07/22/18 at 15:34:38

Voora,

Yes, the Earth and Neutral are on the same busses. I've added a few photos to clarify. The sub panel I rewired to separate them, and I think there is an easy way to isolate them in the main panel without disrupting all the neat work in there. That would be to cut the buss bars roughly in half and thus isolating them then tying together from left and right side, not sure it's feeble but hopefully I'm explaining it correctly. Any thoughts? Probably need to get an electrician involved, but from what I hear, code now calls for isolation, this panel was wired in 2007 and it wasn't apparently code then. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Best,
Scott

ElecPan.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 07/22/18 at 15:35:49

A closer look

ElecPanGrnds.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 07/22/18 at 15:36:54

My sub with separated neutral and earth grounds.

SubPan.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 08/14/18 at 01:38:09

Hello All,

It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd throw out a quick update on my system.
I've been working on room treatment and have spent some time discussing my room with Sean Casey the Founder and Main force at ZU Audio. He's been unbelievable helpful (building me a specific filter tailored on my room) and gave me some guidance in regard to my next step, which is ceiling treatment. I took his advice to heart and over the weekend built 8 absorption/diffusor panels. Six to suspend from the ceiling and 2 to add to my rear listen wall and GIK panels. Waiting on color swatch samples from Gilford of Maine Fabric and stainless cable and hangers etc from Amazon, then up on the ladder for installation. A few pics for those interested and as always comments, and suggestions always helpful. Thanks for looking.

Best,
Scott

Panel1.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 08/14/18 at 01:39:22

another

Panel2.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 08/14/18 at 01:44:59

the insides

Panel3.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 08/14/18 at 01:50:06

Where they are going

Panel_Hanging_Diagram_001.jpg

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 08/15/18 at 04:21:47

Wow, Scott! I admire your dedication - your system (room included) will really be something when completed.

Randy

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

New Ceiling Treatment & Wall Finally Complete
Reply #69 - 09/05/18 at 01:25:59

Whew...so after careful consideration of all the amazing direction from experts (who basically, all concurred) Steve Deckert: Declare (of course) Dennis Foley: Acoustic Fields, Sean Casey: Zu Audio and everyone else who has kindly given me an unfounded amount of input, time and thought on my project, sincere thanks, I never would have come close to the end result without all the help. I built 8 of the Dispersion/Absorption Panels, flew 6 on the ceiling, added 2 to the rear walls, trimmed out the GIK Bass Traps and also reversed the fronts on their wall units and also trimmed them out. Fabric is by Guilford of Maine Acoustic Fabrics. The end result is 6 Free Standing Bass Panels, 6 Rear Wall Panels and 6 Ceiling treatment flown for a rough total of 156 sq ft of treatment, plus the addition of a heavy wool 12' x 15' area rug, Honeycomb double insulated Bali Blinds and isolation for all equipment dedicated direct AC Line feed and some 2" thick walnut nut bookshelves (by me) on heavy concrete pavers, the room is starting to sound pretty good. I have done some lighting work also and here's the results for today. I have to say, this was my first attempt ever at upholstery work, and I'm definitely not a trained finish carpenter, I'm pretty happy with the results, can't guess how many hours but I'm pretty sure its in the hundreds, patience a good thing... Smiley Smiley Thanks for looking.

Best,
Scott

PanaCeilingTreatment.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 09/05/18 at 01:27:35

2 of 3

BassTrapsTrim.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 09/05/18 at 01:29:42

3 of 3

ListeningRm8118.jpg

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #72 - 09/05/18 at 02:23:16

Nice... : ).

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #73 - 09/05/18 at 05:54:12

Been skip reading this thread, and am encouraged by the continued progress that could have been easily ignored. After all, why not let some fancy 'black box' do the work for you? Because there is NO fancy, or not, box that will ever even get in the ball park of what has been accomplished by your efforts here in acoustics. Some of us preach this truth to one after another with deaf ears one after another. Damned good to see someone make the supreme effort.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #74 - 09/05/18 at 16:33:17

Lookin good Scott. Give that amp time to season and then sit back and Ahhhhh nice!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 09/05/18 at 16:46:58

Thanks to all for the replies, appreciate it.
 My next steps are going to be addressing the corners with traps and since I have some extra covering fabric I have this little Zen dude in the back of my head saying build (4) more Diffusion/Absorbtion Panels (2) to fly and (2) with a couple side handles and feet so I can easily move around for serious listening sessions. I played around some with them before they went up and a couple "loose ones" would be a good addition.
 I'm going to add a pair of DNA2's when they become available, and I'm going to add a ZRock2 and CPS3 25 into the mix and I just know (I think) a ZMA 25th, (gotta hope that'll happen) is in future too.
 I'm still very interested in any additional thoughts and input, it always seems to keep me on the right track.

Best to all,
Scott

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #76 - 09/05/18 at 21:08:52

Scott,

The only thing that comes to mind for me is that I have an acoustic system that comes out when the wife leaves for work, and back again before the end of the day. Point mostly that because it is easy to move, I can experiment for placement. It sounds cheesy, but the system is no more than dense pillows on chairs, a memory foam mattress pad, and other assorted pieces. It startles me when I get it right. I simply block the 1st reflection with the pillow chair arrangement, and cover the love seat to the right of the speakers with the mattress pad. I have even used a coat draped over the back of the speakers to hear differences.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 09/05/18 at 22:02:39

4K,
No, I get that, see the two green things in the loft window? Those are chase lounge cushions from my patio! Whatever works, someday they will get replaced with some large wooden louvers if Steve doesn’t get all my money first, which so far he’s been doing a fine job of it!
Thanks for posting,
Best,
Scott

IMG_1173_1.jpg

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 09/06/18 at 14:30:44

For me, the fun of room treatments is moving them around.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...DNA2's after a week
Reply #79 - 09/30/18 at 20:55:05

Hello all,
 I received my DNA 2's just over a week ago and have been listening intently  as I slowly experiment with placement and all the little adjustments that really makes this enjoyable for me. The kind of stuff most people just look at me when I'm going on about it and just say..."ahhh, ok Scott Smiley"
 I'll start by saying they are incredible, truly as good as any speaker I ever remember hearing in a home. I will also say, with no reservations I don't have my own words that can really convey what I hear and feel listening to the system now. The whole room treatment experience has come together, the things I read in all the well written remarks on "how things sound" come together.l All the things I was trying to imagine myself hearing through other speakers is finally there. The detail, the openness, the low end, the musicality...all of it is there now.
 Before I go any further, I have to comment on ZU Audio who can't say enough kind words about. The crew there including Sean Casey the owner and founder, along with Gerrit have gone out of their way to help me complete the room treatment and also graciously accepted my request to return my Dirty Weekends without so much as a single question. It is an outstanding company with which to deal with, and I would certainly recommend them to anyone in search of the "right" speakers for themselves.
 OK, back to DecWare stuff, I've include a couple of photos for those who are wondering what the final product looks like, and I can also say for their size it's the densest, heaviest box I have dealt with. I told Bob Z that I think they incorporated some kind of lead infused wood to build the things (my real opinion is between Bob and Steve they figured out a secret use for Blowmeum, which we all know is incredibly heavy material)but I'll leave that for the rest of you to ponder and research.
 If any of you are on the fence and can possibly make it to DecFest and are even remotely interested in some new speakers to get there and take a listen, that in itself will be well worth the trip, let alone all the other goodies that will be there to preview.
 My current plans are to incorporate my ZRock, (type II Beeswax and silver RCA) which is on order, then to add a CSP3 w/Anniversary Mods, then as soon as available the new mods to my MKIV (all). That should keep me sufficiently broke for the foreseeable future!
 I look forward to hearing what you guys who get to hear the new DNA's think, and will thoroughly enjoy reading some better articulated thoughts on  what you think. As always, thanks for looking and always open to any thoughts and suggestions.
 Oh, one more thing... of many I'm sure I'll think of as soon as I hit "Post"
These things are not picky about placement, the sound changes of course, but it has been incredibly good how ever I have moved them, which is actually not that much. I will experiment further if only because Steve suggested I make sure to order my speaker cable ZSTYX plenty long in case I ever want to place my speakers in the farthest corners of my room, lay them on their side and see what they sound like while laying on your back on the floor...it's in cards and will happen... Smiley Wink

DNA2a.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 09/30/18 at 20:57:11

2 of 4

DNA2b.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 09/30/18 at 21:00:26

3 of 4

DNA2c.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 09/30/18 at 21:04:29

4 of 4

DNA2d.jpg

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 10/01/18 at 17:48:24

Great, Scott! I know you will enjoy them as much as I have been. As time goes on you will want to try them at extremely low levels and be amazed at the detail that is still there. At times, I think the louder levels we have had to use before actually hide some detail! This, of course, may be somewhat room dependent as my room has almost no soft surfaces and zero room treatments. At any rate, even with my aged ears, the sound with the DNA2s and ZEN25 is much better than any I have ever had in my house. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 10/01/18 at 21:02:06

lazy,

I couldn't agree more, at very low listening levels everything is still there, I have surprised myself by turning the output way down, lower than I would ever do what I call "Serious Listening" and they are almost baffling in the way all the detail and fullness comes through. Of course with the right cuts and the right mood, listening quite loud is something to experience. It seems they have the ability to bring out rather unique reactions to the music from people... Smiley, actually witnessed it last night. Thanks for the response.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #85 - 10/02/18 at 00:42:05

Scott & Laz,   I hear what your saying. The UFO25 is something else with the DM947 monoliths! I imagine it's another world with the DNA2's. I hope to hear more comments on this combination, during, and after Decfest.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 10/02/18 at 14:33:53

Ace, you are aware that it is the same speakers as the Monolith in a different cabinet?

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #87 - 10/02/18 at 23:29:54

Hey Laz,  I did not know that. Makes me wonder what are the differences and similarity of both designs!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print