Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:34:49 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi to all, New guy here... (Read 47012 times)
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Hi to all, New guy here...
05/30/18 at 23:10:57

Greetings,
I've been madly reading, researching and talking on the phone for weeks after ordering Torii MKIV. I've been out of the "audio world" for quite some time. I was in the what we called back then Higher End Audio, had some Stores in Mpls, MN back in the 70's & 80's the called Audio King, then after I sold out to my partner in '86 "Ultimate Electronics" out of CO. Anyway, started out wanting back into the stuff so last month ordered and received a WOO WA6 Headphone amp, a Sony HAP1 music server, and some Sennheiser HD660s phones. well, it wasn't long after hooking up an old pair of ADS L-300 Oaks running off the little amp in the Sony that I got directed to ZU speakers from a very helpful and patient Mike Liang with Woo and spoke with Garrett and after roughly an hour had a pair of Dirty Weekends coming my way sometime soon. After another weekend of reading & researching I called back to ZU and Garrett suggested I give some company I never heard of before a call, their name was DecWare, hmmm...more research and late nights of reading the amazing papers by Steve I decided to give him a call and took an amazing amount of what I'm sure is a very busy guy's time. I have never been more impressed in my entire life the I was with the patience and explanations Steve offered to provide me with, along with total acceptance of my new-found ignorance in the "New" world of high end audio. Well, after hanging up and letting Steve get back to his day job, I placed a call the next day and got my order in for the MKIV. I've learned the importance of "Room Treatment" and have a pretty good size order in with GIF Acoustics and another extremely helpful Zac Marcengill out of Nashville, a few hours from my place. I'll starting with (8) 6A Alpha Panels, Diffusor/Absorber 6" and 6 Free Standing Bass Traps (my room as Steve put it... is going to be a real challenge!) Anyway, probably a little overdone on my first post, but what the heck, hat's it in a nutshell. I look forward to getting to know some of your, seems like a great group.
Best,
Scott

PanoLR1_copy_001.jpg

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...
Reply #1 - 05/30/18 at 23:35:34

Adding a room diagram, to better depict my room

I welcome any and all comments, critique, put, knowledge, whatever you got!

Screen_Shot_2018-05-30_at_6_34_28_PM_001.png

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/30/18 at 23:40:22

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forum, and to Decware. You will indeed find a great group of guys here, and a wealth of audio knowledge.

Your setting there looks idyllic, but as Steve said, your room could prove challenging. But with the components/treatments that you have on order, I think that you will get great results.

Thanks for posting,
Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/31/18 at 00:12:34

Welcome to the forum Scott! We go easy on new blood so post away your impressions and thoughts!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/31/18 at 00:12:50

Welcome!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/31/18 at 00:32:24

Thanks Bottlehead, Lon & Busterfree!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 05/31/18 at 01:05:25

Hey Scott,  Looks like your off to a good start. I'm sure you're going to love the Decware audio journey once everything seasons!  Like many have said over the 4 years of my Decware experience...it just keep getting better and better!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 05/31/18 at 01:49:58

Scott, did you mean 96? I worked for Audio King Mpls/Roseville in 93. Then, Ultimate came in 2004-07?/purchased changed the name. Ultimate E, then went belly up liquidated from the tip of Texas to MN in 2011. Maybe, no name change until way later from 86 or 96 purchase?

Yeah, you guys carried some high end, KEF at the time. Mr. Winey never let the Magnepans in there though. I worked at Magnepan too.  ;) I know Toby at Audio King tried to get Maggie's in AKING..... .

Welcome to the Forum.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/18 at 02:24:02

Hi Stone,
LOL, I may be off on dates, I started with AK in 1973, I believe.  Al Kempf owned the one store which opened in 1953. The main store and offices were on France Ave and moved across the street to Leisure Lane which Al built. I became a minor partner w/Al  then Randy Carlock joined us from Dayton Hudson Corp, I was Exec VP, did all the buying and advertising. We added the "Dale" stores, then I sold out to Carlock and had sailboat built and took off sailing for 10 years. Another life age, it was a lot of fun, I thought I might come across some old Audio King people or stories if I included that bit of info. Thanks for the reply...

Best Scott

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 05/31/18 at 03:10:12

I read you about the dates! Where has the time gone. Yes, I knew Randy. I remember the way back France Ave office and the St. Louis Park office too.

You bet Scott, enjoyed Audio King. Once again, welcome.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/31/18 at 03:13:43

Welcome Scott,

You will really like the decware family. Amazing people and so much knowledge.

I also started with DW from zu. Fantastic first pair of speakers. You may want to think about adding a sub ( undertone is sufficient from ZU)  in near future if you like base.

Which DAC are you using?  That’s the next challenge.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 05/31/18 at 04:22:13

Some very kind words, Thank-you!  

Looking at your room layout again I realize that getting a symmetrical layout or shall I say the results of one, may not be that hard.  From your recliner aka listening chair, there are two large openings to your left leading into your dinning room.  Think of these as large absorbers with good natural diffusion resulting from the room behind them.  This means that the right wall behind your TV should ideally have a similar square foot area of absorber/diffusers on it to balance out the space.

The rear wall of which half is missing due to the kitchen has a similar situation where the kitchen acts like a large diffuser/absorber the the wall behind the couch acts like a giant reflector.  I would move all the panels covering the kitchen to the wall behind the couch.  This wall is going to be your biggest enemy because it's the closest to your head.  It needs absorption and diffusion to act similarly to the kitchen area, which it will.

The front glass with the angle turns out to be a serious blessing because it is not parallel to the wall behind the couch.  You want to arrange your stuff so that reflections of each of the two main windows miss your head.  Putting vertical louvers on each one could make that angle adjustable which would mean the difference of well focused imaging vs. no hope for good focus, depending on the listening chair location.

There is going to be a lot of reverb in the top half of the room, and ringing which will eventually be heard once you get all your treatment in place and that remains the only poor sounding part of the room.  I would plan on some attractive hanging treatments as the last step.

Lastely, I have to say it, a wall to wall carpet with the right thick commercial pad would have the same absorption as covering two walls from corner to corner and from floor to ceiling with 2 inch foam tiles.  Again, with the treble control on the TORII MKIV you can get away with hardwood from a frequency balance standpoint, but everything would focus up better with a thick-pile carpet.  Also, a large rug with pad that covered all but 3 feet around the border of the room would be less than 1/2 as effective.  It's taking it all the way to the very wall that makes it happen.

Once you get this stuff all finished, you'll have a wonderful listening room.  All that space, and height should make for some really great sound!

I would say if the ZU don't work out, the room would be a good candidate for a pair of large open baffle speakers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/31/18 at 17:59:56

RF,
Thanks, also I’m currently using a Sony HAP Music Server that has, what I’m told is a pretty decent day in it. Will probably be looking to Steve (who I’m working on a reply to for his valued input) for some advise on that and of course, still got the cables to address.
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/31/18 at 21:42:41

Steve,
I want to first start with, Thank you and also to everyone who has or will give me input on the room, there are so many variables to deal with, I don't think it would be possible to be overly advised. I truly appreciate your taking the time to go over the room again, I know I probably had you scratching your head about me when I initially got in contact with about, I'm pretty certain I was not really making it easy to visualize what was going on. I did receive my blinds today, although I went with an accordion style double insulated honey comb Bali pulldown as opposed to the louvres, I'm hoping they work out OK, the feedback I got from ZAK with GIK Acoustics was positive on them, again though, I had already put in the order for them. I'll post a pic when I get them up later.
I should have plenty of panels in my order to deal with that rear wall, so thank you again on that one. We did, also, discuss ceiling treatments for a followup after the initial items get placed. Additionally I plan to get an almost wall to wall area rug with heavy commercial padding, That will be the next big move, and I'm 100% on your cable and connectors when some of the dust settles on my credit card!
I'm definitely feeling better about the outlook, I was starting to get a little overwhelmed there for a bit.
I'd also like to discuss your open baffles at some point, I think I'm ready to try to make every effort for a visit either in October or maybe before then. Sounds like a great event to up the learning curve from all the ears that appear to attend. Again, I thank you for the extra attention, it is going a long way in getting me where I hope to go with this.
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 05/31/18 at 21:50:12

Cables?
My Shunyata Alpha digital power cord, is a must to Steve's ZDSD.
XLO power cord to ZMA.

I  moved up from my KS3033's, found in my original signature (below) I keep as an homage to my Decware SE84CS (#76).

Nowadays, I kept the stellar KS1030 (and added another AG WBT KS1030) to my Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier and run Kimber KS6063 (8ft pair) to my modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's.

KS6063 = "run of piano notes, played presto, and deliver them to the ear without a hint of smear or indecision and not a single nuance left unexpressed."
"realize a whole new level of resolution and musicality."
.....well put Neil.

I wanted to hate them (KS6063), now, I can't be without them. Tone/Texture/Nuance of Piano, Brass & Woodwinds is stunning.

PS~nice treatments GIK....vs. my Mike Green old stuff and my home brew!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/01/18 at 00:09:40

Thanks again Stone, good info. I got my first step in treating the windows up today.

BLINDS_001.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/01/18 at 00:12:55

A closeup

Blinds1_001.jpg

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 06/01/18 at 10:43:53

Very nice. Love that coffee table too.

I'm wringing things out to the nth degree now. IC & Speaker Cables (covered), NOS tubes (covered & a few more to get), room treatment (looking at GIK now) and probably Steve's new isolation plinths.

My cornerstone, is the Zen Mystery Amp & ZDSD.
I'm in a smaller room (dedicated Listening Room), in which I prefer. Treated, I have it sounding like a big space of course. However, I am intrigued by your bigger space development.

I bet you're going to love your Torii IV (plenty of power). I very much enjoy my ZMA. However, you never can have enough Decware!  :) I have contemplated getting the SE84UFO3/25th mono-blocks. Or, staying the push pull path with buying the Torii IV (still class A). Spend a year or two with its different nuance/tube rolling vs. my Zen Mystery Amplifier.

Anyway, I will take a step back now/continue to read how this fleshes out for you and your Torii (soon).....and learn a thing or two, as I usually do, from Steve (and you)/this room treatment project of yours... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/01/18 at 15:37:03

Stone,

More good input. I inherited the table from an Uncle who purchased it while living in Kauai, Hawaii many years ago, my best guess so far is that it's Monkey Wood from Asia, very dense, very heavy. I'm sure that someone in the know on wood could probably set me straight on that.
I would like to encourage you to continue posting here about your thoughts and your system and your experiences with all that great equipment you have acquired, it makes for an easy reference point and certainly is going to be of interest to those beyond myself that happen on the thread. I'm working my way through Googling your equipment, I have years of catching up on who even the manufacturers are, let alone what is out there for the taking. I seriously am counting the days until my speakers and amp show up.
 My original plan was to settle in with my Woo WA6 headphone amp and Sennheisers for a while...that 2 month old thought is certainly "dust" now!
The realization that I'm retired and on a budget is going to have to come to reality here soon, but this sure is an exciting ride so far.
 Thanks again for the replies hope to hear more. How do you like the ZDSD & how exactly are you utilizing it? Would love to hear more...
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 06/03/18 at 15:40:12

ZDSD is great with Steve's output transformer RCA modification. Purchased Feb/2015, I have spent quite a bit of time with it. The voltage output from her, drives my ZMA direct with very good density. Helped in much part by my modified speakers, cabling and tube rolling. The added bonus, is I have made a few recordings with it for fun.

It really came down to: I use it as my one and only DAC, designed from Steve to drive direct in to Decware, or with Pre. For me and my 1,100+ Redbook CD collection, run at 16/192. + having the ability to adjust input and output volume... .  I have been very pleased.  Great DAC!

I do use on occasion, an 6922 single tube hybrid Class A, Audio Research LS-2B MkII** with a beautiful stepped attenuator via remote...I almost made the mistake of selling.
http://www.arcdb.ws/LS2/LS2.html
I am not a fan of ARC's 6H30 tube gig (I owned one), they use now. The voltage output and the single tube rolling influence, I can derive out of this Line Stage/LS-2B, in to the ZMA is stunning.

However, though,  a Pre is a Pre is still a Pre. No matter what anybody says. Driving the ZDSD to hear the purity and absolute difference in input tubes, comes from my ZDSD to ZMA direct.
....The big clincher of this sonic bliss.  ...the ability of the KS1030 to the KS6063's ability to eliminate smear is incredible and not hyperbole. To make it relative, I still periodically swap in Kimber 8TC/seasoned in....it does not stay in long...KS6063 goes back in. Some would say, "what smear." Yeah, you don't know you have it until you ABA with the KS6063.
Waiting for Kimber Carbon release....have in from my guy Joe/CableCO.

Hope you get your MkIV by the end of July to begin your Decware journey.

** As you know, I can drive it across town and have it repaired as new...if she goes down. When, I was part of the MN Audio Society/Pavek Museum, I have been in Audio Research and marvel at their parts vault. The ability to repair (if needed), an quarter century old Line Stage is impressive. OR, just upgrade the Caps....I might have done... . Albeit, not a life time warranty....but impressive none-the-less.

HOWEVER, all that said above. I did own a Decware CSP3 with Jupiter Caps. 27 months of awesomeness with it. Tube rolling too/voltage adjustment aplomb. Out of all the stuff I sold in 2015 & 16....dufus here, sold his CSP3. Regret that. Would have liked to still have in my stable for periodic use.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #20 - 06/03/18 at 15:47:24

Scott- Welcome aboard! Lots of great info, opinions and humor here on this forum. Beautiful room and I bet will sound good with some hard work. Please keep us posted as things progress, that's how we each learn. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/03/18 at 23:11:41

HD,
Thank you,
I'm assuming you ride, just came from taking a friend out on my 2008 CVO Softail Springer. I'm in the Western NC foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains.
Nice list of gear there, getting great info here, fun place.
Best Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/03/18 at 23:18:56

Stone,

Can't thank you enough for taking so much on the reply, it's gonna take me a bit to get all that absorbed, really helps the learning curve when things are put in context like you did.

Actually..I'm hoping to get my MKIV by the end of JUNE!  ::)
Wishful thinking but the thought of July just isn't working for me right now, just glad that I got the order in before the deluge or it would have been disastrous for me, Zu's hopefully by end of week and the GIF is shipping 6/11 so it'll keep me a little busy.

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 06/03/18 at 23:23:16

Nice bike Scott! Finally some great weather too.
I have an '08 too, but a lowlier one, an FXDF (the first year).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 06/03/18 at 23:27:17

Hey Lon, Thanks.

It is a great bike, love it, but they are all good, lot of fun.

Your Audio equipment if we're taking scales here, has LightYears on me!

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 06/03/18 at 23:37:38

You'll catch up audio wise. I would love to experience that Springer front end. . .I've only ever ridden one on a hard tail chopper and only for a few miles. . . . But they are cool!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 06/04/18 at 00:41:06

Jealous of you motorcycle guys. Summer is shaping up nicely for ya.

Thanks to Lon and what's spinning..... My education always continue's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #27 - 06/05/18 at 04:10:25

Scott- Yes I do ride. Just hit 23 years on this '89 FLSTC (3 complete motor rebuilds and 3 top ends) and the Santa Cruz hills allow plenty of it. It took me a long time and a lot of reading on this site to take the plunge, but plunge I did. No looking back. Love our system, just added a CSP3 to the mix and completely happy with the addition. Please do keep us up on the progress and ride safe, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...GIK Update
Reply #28 - 06/11/18 at 01:16:22

Had a nice surprise Sat evening, FedX left me 6 GIK BaseTraps, messed with them last night, got this far at 1:30 and will wait till the Zu's get here to do more. It's very close to the layout that was suggested by Steve, Dennis Foley (Acoustic Fields) and of course Zac (GIF Acoustics).
 I probably should keep this one to myself, but as soon as I unboxed the traps, put the bases on and started to place them, I turned on some TIDAL and immediately noticed a bad driver in the left ADS I had not even heard in the last 2 weeks...hmmm, must be something to all this Roll Eyes

GIK_BassTraps1Pano.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...One More Pic
Reply #29 - 06/11/18 at 01:17:32

Thanks for looking

GIK_BaseTrap2G.jpg

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #30 - 06/11/18 at 02:32:28

ScottNC- Nice change!! Keep us posted and new things come in. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #31 - 06/11/18 at 16:41:47

Gives the place a nice - recording studio - vibe!
I also started with GIK bass traps and could immediately hear the improvement.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 06/11/18 at 21:53:35

Very nice.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #33 - 06/11/18 at 22:43:36

That room needs a pair of HR1’s!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 06/12/18 at 01:58:44

Thanks All for the ice comments.

Donny, ha...ZU Dirty Weekends are going to fill the space until Steve will take my order for DNA's. Don't even have them yet but they are threatening to ship this week.

Ordering ZBIT and Cables/Connectors tomorrow.

Ordered a Tascam DA3000 and a CD500B tonight.

GIK wall treatments on the FedX truck tomorrow too.

Tic Tok on the waiting list I'm pretty much there...

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/13/18 at 23:06:18

Quick update:

Got GIK Wall Treatments up, need to address the stairway wall.

Shopping for a thick wool 10'x14' 12'x15' with ½" dense pad. (Found one)

My MKIV is ON THE BENCH!
Very Excited, to say the least.

Resized photo, not sure it's apparent several of my posted photos are "panos".

Best,
Scott

GIKWallTreatmentsm_001.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 06/18/18 at 18:39:40

A quick update.
I cancelled my order for the Tascam DA3000,CD500Bal, RME DA Converter, Belkin Thunderbolt Express and have now ordered:

Little Green Computer sonicTransporter APi7 (4TB spinning drive)
Little Green Computer ultraRendu & Linear Power Supply

MyTek Brooklyn MQA-Compatable DAC (Black)
MyTec Balance Headphone Converter

ZU Dirty Weekends Expected this week

Best,
Scott

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...Pic Update
Reply #37 - 06/26/18 at 15:09:31

Just a quick picture update. Received Area Rug, Refinished Table over weekend, waiting this week on shipment of Torii MKIV and LGM sonicTransporter... getting close! Getting pretty excited...
Thanks for looking.
Best,
Scott

62618_istening_RM.jpg

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 06/26/18 at 15:10:42

One more...(the monkey is looking for the missing Zen Torii!)

626TablReFin.jpg

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #39 - 06/26/18 at 15:54:43

Scott, It's all coming together nicely! I'm excited for you!!
Your going to love having time (retired) to tweak and enjoy the music!
I hope to have my UFO25 by end of August...but my SE84CKC sounds awesome which makes the wait that much more tolerable.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #40 - 07/02/18 at 05:17:20

I expect to see the monkey sitting on top of the missing Zen TORII once it arrives, he can guard it for us!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Re: Hi to all, New guy here...(2 Shipments Today)
Reply #41 - 07/02/18 at 23:57:09

LOL, the money can't figure out why we can't get any output! I got the Torii today, cables, and sonicTransport, just got everything unpacked and  plugged in, got as far as setting up the core with the sonicTransport and Tidal going all with Andrew's (Small Green Computer) help on a remote "TeamVeiwer" session, but can get a signal into the amp. Running balanced out of the Brooklyn MyTek to the ZBIT to the MKIV line in, but I got nothing...LOL, I'm sure it's something pretty simple because the Brooklyn had signal, the headphone jacks are working... but no nothin on the balanced out to ZBIT. Anybody??? Any thoughts??? could be a long night pondering:).  :-[ Roll Eyes Undecided

Best Scott

DSC_0005_001.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 07/03/18 at 00:44:30

Have you tried both positions of the input selection switch?

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 07/03/18 at 01:09:32

Thanks Lon, I had tried both, I shut everything down, ate some dinner and fired it all back up, I had the “Trim/Gain” set down some on the Brooklyn, the ZBIT at about 9 o’clock and the same on the amp gain so as to not blow it all up when it got a signal. The combo of everything and just tweaking the one gain control at a time then returning it back wasn’t enough, I was expecting the whole setup to be extremely sensitive with the ZU’s. All is working, now for a Great Night of many working into this thing. So much new, Tidal, Roon, DecWare, Sonore, sonicTransport, wow, Ground Control take over, this is gonna be fun!
Thanks all,
Best,
Scott (and the monkey) who seems pleased enough... Shocked

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 07/03/18 at 03:09:26

Great news! You've great listening ahead of you!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #45 - 07/03/18 at 17:04:55

I knew if you Monkey'd around with it long enough you'd find the zen! Experiment and Enjoy!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 07/03/18 at 19:06:52

Nice Scott....this puzzle should offer some really great sound, especially as you discover optimal synergy! Lots to get to know at once though, including speaker placement and room treatment tuning...

Hopefully, to help simplify, and gain changes not being as big as expected with the efficient ZUs, a few things come to mind.

Sounds like you started gain level adjustments with the DAC, and though yours sounds like it has an analog pre which may be good....unless there is a distortion issue from too much voltage into your gear, the most transparent sound may well be with the DAC pre at 0dB. And though it may be well worth exploring as a pre, if the remote is not critical to you, using the DAC at 0dB could be the best reference point as you learn, tune, and burn in the rest of your system. A thought anyway.

Then, as I understand the Zbit, wide open it puts out the voltage of your DAC's balanced outs, which might be 3-7 volts give or take. Mine is 4 I think. Using the Zbit "volume control" is therefore all attenuation. But I think of its effects based upon voltage out rather than volume out, more about tuning the balance of sound with more or less of the Zbit influence. Generally having a relatively narrow voltage range between no sound and full open, a 1/4 turn may not show in a big way volume-wise, but can be sonically quite notable for fine-tuning the Zbit effects into your over-all sound.

So I think of the Zbit as a signal clarifier and tuning device, its "volume" adjustment defining how much of the traits it offers....clarity, dynamics, density, etc. This makes it a great "gain riding" tool, using more or less of its influence at a given volume as you balance its attenuator levels with the Torii's.

My Zbit use range for optimizing different recordings is typically between 2 o'clock to maybe 4:30. But I am running my DAC wide open>Zbit>CSP3>Torii, so balancing the overall tone, density and dynamics with both the ZBit influences, and the CSP3 influences to pull the best from recordings into the Torii. It is possible that without the CSP3 in the blend I might use a different range on the Zbit. Everyone finds a favorite zone for their setup, sometimes wide open.

Also related to volume, compared to a lot of solid state amps with a lot of wattage, the Torii is powerful, but ~25W nicely spread over a wide volume range. In my setup, (tubes used, speaker efficiency, etc) I can use most of the Torii range without clipping, even 100% with quieter DVDs. I think this is a really nice design factor Steve gives us...no hyper volume issues from touching the knob.

Also on the Torii, your bass switch effects more than just bass, so worth exploring. The impedance switch makes a pretty big difference too, creating more or less push to the speakers. And the reconstructive feedback switches are another really nice tuning tool for space and fine detail in particular. It takes a while for the amp to burnin enough to show the full tonal potential of the reconstructive circuit though.

I would expect there are software volume adjustments in your setup too, and like in-DAC adjustments, computer/software volumes are variable in quality, some really good, some not so. But the Zbit and Torii can do volume/signal power adjustments quite transparently, and using them at first may help in getting to know the influence of each part of your system during burnin, and as you uncover the full potential of your sound.

Hope this helps some.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 07/03/18 at 21:42:09

Nice DAC choice! I have been considering for MQA Tidal.
https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/
The + of course... .
With the ZBIT, oh yeah.

The Brooklyn+ &  ZBIT  or  ZMA enhancement for late 2018?

First, output tube rolling....for the summer.........over in the ZMA forum's.

I love my ZMA as is.....so maybe the Brook baby+ (us expat-New Yorker's say) & the ZBIT!  
Beer of the day...on my 2nd:
https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/ourbeers/beer/moon-man

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #48 - 07/04/18 at 06:42:56

What? You didn't get the "Stone Soup" beer from New Glarus?  ;)

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #49 - 07/04/18 at 14:16:55

LOL!  No, that does not look good..... .

I like fresh ginger with my Sushi. ....that clove....no way. However, their are some great REAL Abbey beers. Love those monk brewer's for centuries. Chimay!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3