Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:05:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
“Are we hearing something others aren’t” (Read 3658 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

“Are we hearing something others aren’t”
04/28/18 at 15:12:35

I came across this article from Esquire Magazine posted on the PS Audio forum.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-someth...

What a great and enterntaining read! Very well presented. I think there will be at least one point - if not many - in this article that everyone here will relate to Smiley

Happy Saturday!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: “Are we hearing something others aren’t”
Reply #1 - 04/28/18 at 15:28:24

I know people think I'm nuts...even in this Forum?!  I hear the difference between input tubes. My Mullard's are different from my Ediswan's and I love what both have to offer. The Telefunken's are a stalwart for me now...in the inverter tube position.

Great article....and I always remember what the late great Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg said: "Go forth gifted Listener-undaunted."

I miss LISTENER magazine and Harvey. I have most of the issues and reread the Gizmo and his website periodically for inspiration.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 04/29/18 at 16:37:47

A good article for someone who has not been exposed to our level of music reproduction, and yes we all my be a little off center. I can live with that. I miss Harvey's writing also, going back to his first book for his passion of music and gear. I sometimes think that it would be fun to be a fly on the wall of Steve's listening room if Harvey was to be still on this planet and visit Decware...Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/29/18 at 18:44:26

I was a bit put off by the astronomical prices and the implication that that was what it took to achieve the sound experience he described.  I guess Steve must be fooling himself!   Cool

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/01/18 at 21:48:42

Good article and yes Stone, I too believe I can hear the difference in input tubes.

I pulled out some Russian tubes the other day that somebody turned me on to and they are now my favorites.  Now if I could just remember what they are I might buy some more.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print