Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:54:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DECWARE'S "Red-tipped" tubes. (Read 8503 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

DECWARE'S "Red-tipped" tubes.
04/27/18 at 00:15:22

This year and last equipment I've received from Deware includes tubes that are "Red-tipped." Steve marks these red to indicate that he has selected them and tested them for that component.

In the last few weeks I've been going over my tube collection and I gathered together all my tubes and arranged them by type, brand etc.

I found that I had "Red-tipped" and other versions of 6N1P and 6N5P tubes types and decided to do some comparisons. In each case the Decware supplied "Red-tipped" tube is the better choice. . . .I have enough 6N1P to fully equip my ZTPRE and SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks, or my Torii Mk III and CSP2+ . . . and I decided to order six 6N5P from Steve as I only have two of these, enough to populate the input driver spot on each of the Monoblocks and I want six more for the ZTPRE as this is the favorite tube type for me with the ZTPRE.

Anyone else enjoying these tubes? I think I'm going to continue using these going forward when available.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: DECWARE'S "Red-tipped" tubes.
Reply #1 - 04/27/18 at 17:20:09

Since Steve actually uses a scope to match the tubes, "in situ", you know you're getting well vetted and balanced tubes that are perfect for *that* amp.

And in general he picks good sounding tubes in general.

So it's worth it to get the tubes from Steve, vs just bulk off the internet, or even one of the more reliable tube vendors.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/27/18 at 20:38:00

I admire you guys for your ability to discern subtle (to me anyway) differences in tubes.  I was about to post a bragg about the 10 NOS Russian military 6N1P-EV tubes I bought for a little under $3 each.   Roll Eyes

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 05/03/18 at 06:07:11

BTW, Offering Red-Tipped tubes for sale is on my list of things to do.  To make it happen, I have to create a video showing the process and then update the web site with a way to order them for any Decware amp and of course figure out what the final prices would be.  

The only tubes that get red-tipped are input tubes and in the case of the Zen Triode amps, also the output tubes.  In amps like Torii's, or SE34I.5's where there is an input tube for each channel, the process is essential to getting the channel balance within a few percentage points and even more important to getting the lowest harmonic distortion and the same harmonic distortion from channel to channel.

It's interesting to see that a pair of matched input tubes can be have the same distortion %, the same gain, achieve perfect channel balance, but on one tube the 2nd and 3rd harmonics will be reversed, where one channel the 2nd is higher and the other channel the 3rd is higher.

Sadly no one has had the motivation to create a tube tester than can catch things like this, but if they did, it would be a computer and a scope, so you may as well just buy a computer and scope and do your own distortion analysis with your actual amplifier instead of buying a tube tester.

This is what makes red-tipped tubes desirable.  You will let us know your amplifier, we will pull that exact amplifier from our archives and hand select tubes for in some cases over an hour with the computer and scope until we have a perfect pair.  It is also prudent to mention that in the case of the push pull amps, input tubes matched using this process can increase the power of an amplifier by 20% or more. Just yesterday I sent a TORII JR out the door that was putting out well over 32 watts clean.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/04/18 at 19:18:36

Thanks for all that info Steve. The tubes you dip are awesome examples.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/18 at 22:43:22

Lon,

Upon your explanation on the other Forum about what a "red-tipped" 6N1P is as well as this one, I took out the cryo'd 6N23P on my SE84UFO and installed my only red-tipped 6N1P.  It did not even have a box somehow; it was there in my tube drawers.

So far, 6N2P's from Decware have been my favorites.  Other than those I have tried a multitude of NOS and new 6922's.  I must admit this became my favorite of all with full and controlled bass, detail and balance.  I am still waiting a couple of 6N5P's from Decware, but so far this is definitely my favorite.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/05/18 at 00:00:13

You're welcome Alper. Glad you tried it out. . .I found that with my Torii Mk III I really did like a lot of NOS US and European tubes, after a long time with the 6N1P. Now with the SV83 tubes I'm using these 6N1Ps and they are perfect with the smaller tubes. . . and I am loving the sound of the SET and don't have any wish or need to go back to EL34, KT66 etc. types.

So. . . if anyone wants to part with any red-tipped 6N1Ps.  . . let me know. I really shouldn't be singing their praises, right? Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/13/18 at 20:44:17

I received six 6N5P that I ordered from Decware on Friday. I've had them in the ZTPRE ever since, replacing six I bought off ebay that seem identical to Decware's. But the ZTPRE has never sounded better, these are excellently selected and matched tubes.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 05/14/18 at 02:15:24

It makes a real difference to have selected tubes.  I red-tipped Lon's tubes by using my own ZTPRE for the testing.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/14/18 at 02:44:54

Yes Steve you did red-tip these. I'm very grateful. They're "right." And the ZTPRE shines. THANKS.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/18/22 at 03:20:26

Bump for new owners.   I found this thread doing a google search for 6N23P red tip tubes.  I bought some 6n23P or spares and noticed the tip was different.  I had no idea it was a Steve/Decware specific thing.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 08/13/22 at 16:20:09

Quote:
Posted by: Carlsbad      Posted on: 07/18/22 at 03:20:26
Bump for new owners.   I found this thread doing a google search for 6N23P red tip tubes.  I bought some 6n23P or spares and noticed the tip was different.  I had no idea it was a Steve/Decware specific thing.

Certainly it is a Decware thing but other organizations have "red tipped" tubes over the years to indicate special selection. I've seen Soviet/Warsaw Pact tubes red tipped, also western European tubes were red tipped for, I believe, hospital/medical use.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/13/22 at 23:08:38

Thanks CAJames.   I have now come across ret tipped soviet tubes in what looks like original packaging.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print