Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:43:35 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar (Read 6599 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar
04/19/18 at 19:06:50

A while back someone (Eric?) was looking for recordings with excellent acoustic guitar sound and I can't find that thread or that part of another thread. . . I tried.

Thought I would start a thread then as I've encountered some recently that are exceptional and want to point them out for those who love a well-recorded guitar.

First is this one with two Brazilian musicians, a flautist and guitarist in duet, and the sound of the album is excellent as is the playing. Mellow for the most part with some very driving pieces as well. . . very lyrical.

Nicola Stilo and Toninho Horta "Duets"

And then I revisited this album and think that the guitars are very well-recorded. And again it's an excellent album musically.

Cassandra Wilson featuring Fabrizio Sotti" Another Country"

I'll find more examples, and if others would like to join in. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar
Reply #1 - 04/19/18 at 20:25:37

This is greats Lon.  Thanks a bunch!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/19/18 at 21:16:45

Hera are two more: Naked Breath, and Naked Breath 2 by Monday Michiru. Just Monday (daughter of American saxophonist Charlie Mariano and Japanese pianist/composer/band leader Toshiko Akiyoshi) singing and a guitar.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/18 at 15:23:01

Personally I believe this is one great live recording.

51aBB30H4WL__SS5001.jpg

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/21/18 at 15:27:52

Thanks for weighing in. I like his guitar playing, though this is a style of music I just don't cotton to much. We're all different!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/18 at 21:01:13

Definatly different style from the others.  I don't play guitar but it took the longest time for me to figure out he got that sound.  Guitar and percusion together it would have been fun to see him but he's mostly east coast

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/18 at 15:17:10

Have you lisntend to Chesky Records
THREE GUITARS
Artist:
John Abercrombie
Badi Assad
Larry Coryell
?

Well recorded and probably more in the genre that you would like

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 04/22/18 at 15:51:02

To be honest. . . I don't like the Chesky sound. Hard to explain. . . but. . . .

And I'm not crazy about the music I have heard on the label, preferring the work of the same artists produced by other producers. So this may be great for many. . . thanks for posting the suggestion to explore. I've explored Chesky discs by half these artists and decided not to collect them.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/22/18 at 15:56:09

I'm  a big Sara K fan most of the other stuff not so much.  You're a hard nut to crack Mr. Lon but we'll find a common intrest somewhere out there  8-)

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/22/18 at 16:18:39

I'm just me, I've been listening to and collecting music for more than five decades and playing music for a spell too and even did some recording. . . .I have developed strong ideas about and tastes in music. We don't HAVE to have any common areas. I know I'm different, I have lived in three countries and spent my adolescence abroad, I'm used to it. . . I respect the opinions of others and would like the same, that's all.

Here's another suggestion:

Any of the MPS albums by Baden Powell. . . they really sound great on my system.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/22/18 at 20:02:54

Quote:
You're a hard nut to crack Mr. Lon but we'll find a common intrest somewhere out there  8-)

Lon's a Grateful Dead fan.   Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/24/18 at 02:18:52

Nope that's not it (shamefully hanging his head)
I'm definatly old enough but instead of Hendrix and The Dead I was listening to Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, The Beatles,  The Monkeys (don't judge me) Cream and Eric Burdon and the Animals.  After that it was The Who then more Who ( a liitle Yes and ELO) until Kieth Moon was taken, then the 80s.  Back then I tried to be an audiophile but got to where I was listening to equipment and no longer listening to music so I put it away for 30 years.  I'm back into music again and have the technology to listen to ANYTHING.  From any time period or any country.  So now I just want input from the masters but I may not be on a level yet to apprieciate it. My friends say I listen to stuff cause it's wierd,  my son says I listen to the music from Starbucks.   If I ever come off rude please ignore, it's just my attempt at humor.  The arcs have to cross somewhere and with a common thread I can expand my enjoyment even further.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/18 at 00:45:40

I respectively submit Vicki Genfan “up close & personal”.  Since I first posted on this thread I’ve been on a quest and have listened to a lot of acoustic guitar looking for both excellent recording and superior musicianship.  This has been a lot like looking for the best flavor of ice cream and have been able to listen and enjoy so much music outside of my normal listening sphere.  So like going to Ben and Jerry’s and saying try this flavor I think that Vicki Genfan is worth a listen.  The second CD is just acoustic guitar and other instruments.  The First CD has great harmonies and vocals.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/06/18 at 00:58:25

Cool. I ordered "Up Close & Personal" (used copy) to check it out. Thanks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/18 at 13:16:54

Started by listening/watching some "Postmodern Jukebox" which led me to Emmaline which led me to Dinah Washington which led me to "Jazz On A Summer's Day"...love seeing favorites in 1959...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py-5K2R92Wg

PS...I just realized a new thread had been started for a specific recording...this is not "What's Spinning" but I'm too lazy to move my post Smiley

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 05/10/18 at 19:45:32

Dana, thanks for mentioning Ms Genfan. I ordered "Up Close and Personal" and because "Live" was available cheaply I ordered that as well. "Live" arrived first and I'm enjoying it. Not only is she a maestro of the steel stringed acoustic guitar, but she's a very good "architect" arranger of the material. And kudos to the engineer, Michael Brammann, who really recorded her creatively giving a big and bold sound. There’s some crackle from overload in the left channel but what’s a little crackle among friends!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/11/18 at 01:43:03

I hadn't heard the Live album.  Where did you find it?  I'm listnening now on Spotify and it sounds pretty good.  A real copy must be awesome.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 05/11/18 at 01:44:46

Found it on amazon, marketplace seller.

IP Logged
Dan
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/16/18 at 03:35:56

Julian Bream and John Williams!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/25/18 at 01:48:14

Brother Sinner & The Whale
Kelly Joe Phelps
Release date: August 21, 2012

In January 2013, he announced a hiatus from touring due to ulnar neuropathy in his right hand and arm. While looking for acoustic guitar players I came acreoss several with ulnar neuropathy. The good news there's several therapies that have helped some.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 07/28/18 at 14:16:45

David Grisman - Tony Rice  
Tone Poems

The Guitar Trio
John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al Dimeola

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
galtjunk
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/28/21 at 15:47:40

Try Aztec Two Step.
The self titled album.
Great guitar work.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/22/22 at 05:23:22

One I like is Leo Kottke, "A Shout Toward Noon."  I only have the vinyl, but mine is first run.

It still does nice things for me after all these years.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/22/22 at 18:12:26

I definitely second The Guitar Trio: John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al Dimeola and Leo Kottke. Of course, I'm a huge Tony Rice fan.

As far as someone not listed yet, if you like bluegrass and slide dobro, I recommend Mike Auldridge. He was a member of Seldom Scene, so you can check out their albums as well. Audridge did a number of solo albums, partially instrumental and some vocals. He was also a frequent studio dobro player on many 70's and 80's albums, such as Emmylou Harris. One of the great things about Auldridge, is that you can still find his records relatively cheap, and bluegrass records tend to be well cared for.

In contrast, Tony Rice records, though terrific, are often expensive. I am thankful I picked some up before he passed and prices really took off.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/23/22 at 13:56:36

Ana Vidovic is an incredibly accomplished classical guitarist.  There are at least two lengthy videos of her in concert on Youtube.  Here’s the link to one of them.  I dare you not to be mesmerized by the beauty of her artistry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26zZ83Oh6Y&t=909s

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/23/22 at 13:58:35

Oh, and the recordings appear to be well done!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
JimmyBk
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 02/08/23 at 02:28:08

Quiet thread, but I feel compelled to leave this recommendation

https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/album/fabiano-nascimento/

Live in studio, no overdubs, straight to 2" analog tape and lightly mastered. A mix of originals and a few Baden Powell covers.  Features Airto Moreiro on percussion on a few tracks.  Fantastic recording and performances.

Essential listening for fans of Brazilian music.  

Harman Kardon A300 | Thorens TD160 | Hana SH Cart | Black Ice Glass FX DAC | Schiit Eitr | Klipsch Forte II | Sennheiser HD650 | Maybe someday: Mini Torii | ZP3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 02/08/23 at 02:44:37

I agree--a fantastic record.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #28 - 02/08/23 at 03:04:13

I'll play:

One of my goto demo recordings for a long time, but I have no idea how available it is these days.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 02/08/23 at 03:18:03

I have that SACD and also his complete RCA box set. I am not sure that the SACD is still available, but there is an RCA/BMG cd still in print.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 02/08/23 at 04:59:15

I have the box set too, I'm a big JB fan. It is great (and a great deal, at least when I bought it), but the SACD sounds better to me. I just checked a couple of my favorite download emporiums and it doesn't look like the SACD is even available for download, which is a shame.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/26/23 at 21:44:57

Listen to the release Bach by Thibault Cauvin on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/qa20dw17g01cc

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #32 - 02/27/23 at 03:14:31

HK,

Thanks for recommending  Thibaut Cauvin. One of the most beautiful guitar recordings I have heard in years. It was the highlight of today's listening.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/02/23 at 00:17:35

Listen to the release Bach by Thibault Cauvin on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/qa20dw17g01cc

HK

— I’m with Tony. Once my ears tuned in after a minute, the sound was stupendous. And a great musician playing great music.

10 out of 10

Brad

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 03/02/23 at 00:26:58

Thanks HK!  

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 03/14/23 at 10:22:45

Here is another excellent recent release via Qobuz:
Listen to the release View With A Room by Julian Lage on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/r8la6j1467xmc

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #36 - 03/18/23 at 00:48:50

Was listening to this one last night. A really good solo acoustic album.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/18/23 at 17:37:25

ImageGenf.jpg
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 03/18/23 at 17:59:50

dreamcatcher-b-iext55073084-379077154.jpg
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 03/19/23 at 00:56:31

Nice, Mike.

I actually youtubed some of his channel for a bit.

Makes me want more.
It is hard to stomach youtube, mostly, but I will be watching for more of this guy. Andy Mckee!

Thanks!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/19/23 at 01:02:34

One of my luthier friends in Nashville builds odd ball instruments of many sorts.

He has a difficult time finding decent aged spruce of a quality that can be used for guitar making. He has found some through Martin cast offs. He binds them, but still it's hard for him to find enough for his ideas.
He is more into making large mandola type things these days

He is one of those distant folk I think of often.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/19/23 at 16:24:31

'It is hard to stomach youtube, mostly, but I will be watching for more of this guy. Andy Mckee!'  Hard to stomach..man we know! Including FB and television in general.  [smiley=icqlite20.png] We did purchase Andy McKee's cd several years ago. We like it a lot. YW and have a great Sunday. On-going outside pre-spring clean-up..before the snow starts flying again.  :'( Gorgeous weather last few days is trying to fool us.

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 04/21/23 at 03:24:33

Willie Nelson Teatro is an overall great album, well recorded.  I never really appreciated him as a guitarist till I saw him live at the House of Blues.  But this album really is stripped down good music.

Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 06/05/23 at 19:09:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 06/13/23 at 22:33:25

I'm not sure that this is actually "acoustic guitar" as it is not steel stringed but nylon stringed.

Sure is well-recorded though, and Guinga is is an excellent player--a maestro.

Guinga & Maria Joao : Mar Atora

Maria Joao may be an acquired taste for some but she's an excellent singer and easy for me to enjoy because she reminds me strongly of a Brazilian Blossom Dearie, and over the decades I have become quite a Blossom Dearie fan.

A great listen.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/15/23 at 19:52:10

Steve Guttenberg recommended this Amber Rubarth CD and I tried it out.  I think it is excellent with the music, guitar, and all the other instruments.  I've been using this as a reference CD for all my tweaks and changes.

I'd like to get a copy of this on vinyl if I can.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 06/15/23 at 20:22:26

Discogs.com shows it was released on LP though no item listed there for sale. Keep an eye out on eBay is my advice.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/15/23 at 21:38:08

Lon, I found her site and they had it for sale on vinyl.  So, now, I've got to get that Rega.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 06/15/23 at 21:39:27

Cool. You have a plan.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 06/16/23 at 00:28:02

Ack! Guttenberg does it again! Looks to be sold out now! I listened on youtube and agree it should sound very good on vinyl. The notes on discogs makes me want it even more:

180-gram orange translucent vinyl. Binaural recording. Plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print