Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:47:40 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks (Read 12391 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks
Reply #50 - 05/16/18 at 15:05:08

My poor Lucinda is still sick, slowly getting better and still staying home from work. and we're both completely tired of our routines being interrupted for two weeks and we're beginning to be on each other's last nerve. I so desperately want to listen to my Monoblocks but the moment I do I'm either asked to do something else or told that my music annoys here and please put on headphones. So I am getting a lot of time in with both my Torii Mk IV and my Torii Mk III and my Audeze LCD-2 and Oppo PM-1. But I so much want to listen to the Monoblocks and the HR-1s!

Last night for one hour I got to listen to a cd, Bobo Stenson's "Cantando" on ECM, through the Monoblocks. This an eccentric offbeat piano trio recorded with reverberant spatial cues and both a tight focus and a warm glow. I could hear every nuance I had heard before and more. I connected to the music on this album as I had not before. The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B that I have in each are responsible for another step forward as is the mere fact that the amps have really come into their own. I've had wonderful listening sessions with my amps the last years but I confess I wish that I had somehow managed to make the small two watt amps work in my system before and hadn't spent so much time with the EL34/KT66/6CA7 etc. tube types. Then again the DENSITY of the signal from the ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2 and the tonal adaptability of the ZROCK2 are what have made my current bliss possible when added to the racetrack speed of the Monoblocks. It's best to just be in the here and now and here and now has the possibility of the best sound ever . . . I only wish that I could hear the system NOW. Please Lucinda, feel better! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #51 - 05/16/18 at 17:17:54

So, will you have a dedicated audio room when Lucinda retires? Or, does she not like your music playing due to her current illness?
I had to have a dedicated room. My wife does not like to listen to most of what I play and after a few hours she used to ask I turn it off and give her a break. And, this was before I retired!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 05/16/18 at 20:28:42

I'll have to have a plan for when Lucy retires in about five to six years. I had planned to build here on the property and make myself a studio, and that may happen, though Lucy keeps changing her mind about these things. . . she will want me to have an area of my own though as she is a lot like your wife. I have a friend who is waiting to find a wife that shares all his musical interest. He's been waiting a long time and he's very lonely. . . .

The current ban on listening to the speakers is due to her feeling so crappy. And she shouldn't feel so crappy, two weeks into antibiotics, now on her second. I takes her into going back to the doctor tomorrow who is going to give her a third antibiotic and will do some tests. I'm hoping that it isn't anything serious or really bad as I've been there done that and bought the t-shirt and hoody.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 05/20/18 at 19:06:15

I've gotten to spend more time today with the Monoblocks than I have been able to for a week. The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B are coming along nicely and I've forgotten about tube-rolling rectifiers in the Monoblocks and am rolling rectifiers in the Taboos instead, different Type 80s, an Arcturus globe in the IV and a Tung-Sol bottle type in the III.

The sound of the Monoblocks still thrill me every time they warm up and bloom. With my P10 and ZROCK2 I can get all the body and heft that I got from the Torii Mk III which really surprises me each time. And also the big open sound is similar to the Torii but having that "wholesome" quality that SET delivers. And the detail in the sound. . . I can't say I'm hearing things I haven't before in familiar material, but I am hearing them differently, more "in context" I would say, more naturally as part of the that "wholeness" rather than a transient zooming out or an isolated pull on your attention.

I made one tube change today and it's been positive. I had been using my Arcturus OB3 and I really am convinced the OB3 is better than the OA3 for my system. The Arcturus are bottle shaped, and I have a pair of Sylvania that are bottle shaped as well, and I prefer the Arcturus by a few hairs.  I ordered a pair of small straight OB3s from Raytheon to try out and I'm using these today. I must say they added a bit more warmth and body and are perfect for the piano trio music I'm listening to. I'll keep playing with them. The only drawback: I thought they would glow violet . . . but they glow orange just like an OA3. Which is okay, I just had to look at them several times to verify they were marked OB3 . . . they're marked OB3a.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 05/25/18 at 14:33:50

I finally got to spend about five hours with the Monoblocks yesterday and really enjoyed the sound. I'm back to using OA3 again with the Sophia Electric 274B Aqua in the system and seasoned a bit. There's a wonderful sense of space with the OB3 but the bass response suffers and the Sylvania OA3 that Steve shipped with the amp are sounding very good with the Sophias. I suspect the OB3 would be perfect with more efficient speakers and I may save up for the DNA2 in the future. . . but I'm really not complaining about the interaction between the Monobocks and the HR-1. . . I just wish I had both that wonderful spaciousness to that degree that the OB3 provides with the excellent bass from the OA3. We'll see what the CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods brings when it arrives, it may add the missing elements.

These are amazing amps. I love their elegant uncluttered looks and the sound is liquid delight.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 05/30/18 at 13:27:47

One change yesterday: I received in a pair of short straight OA3 labeled "CEI" which means they were built by someone else. Looking at them they could be GE, not sure. Anyway, installing them and letting them settle in. . .a little treble glare has dissipated and wow, there's another level of dynamics that none of the other OA3s have yet provided. I'm enjoying the pump and push when the music requests it.

There are so many subtle bits and pieces that a listener discovers with these Monoblocks. I know that as they season I'll have a wonderful audio journey.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 05/30/18 at 19:31:57

Lon, I am going to suggest/guess that when your CSP325, now on the bench, arrives it will afford even more of the things you are so obviously enjoying with 25th anniversary Monoblocks!
Man, I am sooo envious!
Joe

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 05/30/18 at 20:15:13

You're probably right Joe. . . we'll see in a few weeks or so!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/30/18 at 23:36:18

Hey Lon,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have to be on the audio sidelines now for a while due to family needs/relocation, but when I can get back into our amazing hobby, I will definitely want to head back to the Mother Ship once more for a demo. Your description of the results that you are getting in your system, coupled with Steve's talk of twin UFO25s, with a CSP325... well...I may need a drool apron before I can actually do anything about it, but I've got my sights set on a new system. Anyway, keep the reports coming, please.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 05/31/18 at 00:18:40

I'll keep posting impressions as they seem significant Randy. These Monoblocks really surprise me at how much they sound like the Toriis in important ways, though I know that the voltage regulation being so similar and the fact that I have a P10, ZBIT, ZTPRE and ZROCK2 in the system have a lot to do with that too. In a few weeks my CSP3-25 should be ready to ship too most likely and then we'll see what adding that to the chain will do. I have a feeling it will at the very least add 25th anniversary voodoo to my headphone listening!

I hope you can get focused on audio again soon and yes, think about these 25th Anniversary new-comers, I think they're game changers. . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 06/09/18 at 18:40:33

Well there are many ways to skin a cat. . . or tube a Decware amp.

I bought a pair of Amperex 6085 tubes from Scott and wanted to try them in the Monoblocks. I know these 12AU7 variants work well in the amps as I had a pair of Tesla branded to try out. I have a single Amperex 6085 I have used in the ZROCK2 and now use in the Taboo Mk IV (where it sounds great) and I do prefer the Amperex sound to the Tesla.

So I tried the 6085s in the Monoblocks. I really like these tubes and I really like the fact that they are actually a bit taller than the SV83! They put a lot of gain into the amp and I rolled rectifiers and although the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B sound good in that spot I found that Tung-Sol Type 80 bottle-shaped actually work best, along with the Arcturus OB3 bottle-shaped regulators. Great sound. . . big and bold but with a touch of warmth and body. The Sophias made things just a little too dry and thin. They sound good in my Taboo Mk IV though, and in the CSP2+ I am using upstairs. One will probably land in the CSP3-25 that should be arriving soon.

With all the gain and tonal possibilities that adjustments of my DAC, ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2 and Monoblocks allow there are so many ways to get great sound. I can't get enough time to listen. . . can I put some of that on my credit card?

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 06/10/18 at 01:03:30

Hey Lon,

I'm not surprised that the 6085s gave you a more robust sound. My 10W 330B amp benefitted greatly when I plugged in the 6085s that you loaned me in place of the stock 12AU7s. Thank you for continuing to experiment and to take us all along with you. I'm really enjoying following Steve and your threads regarding this combination of amps and preamps. Somewhere down the line, I'll be wanting to experiment with them myself.

Randy

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 06/10/18 at 01:04:44

Uh...I meant 300B amp.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 06/10/18 at 04:24:51

Isn’t a 6085 12 volts? How does a 12 volt tube work in a 6 volt circuit?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 06/10/18 at 13:49:24

I don't know. Works perfectly. Sounds great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 06/11/18 at 13:57:04

These 6085 work and present a very different perspective than the 6922/6N1P varieties. The sound is warmer and more compact, and sounds more like what I think of as "classic" vinyl sound, sound of 'seventies and 'eighties turntable/phono preamp combos I've lived with and heard. I really do enjoy those tubes in the complement for hi-res material. But I suspect that what ensues is hardly fully linear and the tube does not get really hot. A fun substitute to play with and hasn't harmed anything.

But the 6N5P are giving the best sound overall for transparency and openness with Redbook material. I'm back to using a pair of these, older and slightly different than others I've used, and they need more break in but sound very "lively," open and dynamic and detailed. I want more bass, and most likely more will fill in with a bit more time and some adjustments--in the meantime I've rolled in a pair of 'fifties RCA 5V4G rectifiers which to bring a bit more heft to the sound. Palomino and I have both been using another 6N5P pair that are excellent in our amps. I may end up going back to those. It's great to have options. . . and definitely great to have backup complements.

After a three day weekend (my wife stayed home "sick" Friday) of headphones I'm listening to the Monoblocks again and really enjoying the sound!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 06/14/18 at 16:51:06

I have the 6085s back in, had to try them now that I am using OD3 regulators. The new regulation tubes do help the 6085. The 6085s are giving me the widest soundstage and a very natural sounding dynamics and piano in particular on the recordings I have been listening to has a great clarity WITH a great resonant body to the sound, which is a combination of characteristics that I don't always hear.

The truth is more than any other amps I've had these Monoblocks show the inherent characteristics of tubes and how the cooperate in a complement. I used to strive for one tube set to rule them all (especially with the Torii Mk III)--one complement to work with all the material at my disposal. I'm not going to make that a goal with these Monoblocks. . .the sound is so malleable and it's fun to explore. i "get" what Will has been doing for a few years now. . . .

I have a feeling the Anniversary edition of the CSP3 arriving tomorrow is going to be a similar tube-rolling adventure about to happen. Lord help me!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 06/14/18 at 22:56:35

Oh boy these OD3 are really giving me a sonic shot in the arm that is a great pick me up. It's as if the low bass is untouched but any congestion or looseness in the mid and upper bass is removed, thus opening up further the midrange and giving a clear bell-like treble. Or more probably this is all just a further lowering of the noise floor. It sounds similar to the progressive upgrades of the PS Audio DirectStream DAC which are all about diminishing noise and are all audible and have similar effects.

Thanks again Juan. A new exciting element.

Right now I have an Amperex 6085 in the ZROCK2 and a pair in the Monoblocks. Really contributing to dynamics and clarity, which are both also accepting contributions from the Aqua 274B. Note to self: don't mess with things for a while and don't disregard this note as you usually do. . . . .

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 06/14/18 at 23:46:21

Thanks for the experimentation and the updates, Lon. I'm really interested in the difference that the CSP3-25 makes in your system. Won't be long now (except for the breakin, I mean).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 06/15/18 at 00:01:16

I'm eager to hear this and see how it works in my system as well. I have high hopes. . . and my high hopes have been justified the last few years. I'm eager to hear how it may improve my headphone listening almost as much as how it may influence the Monoblocks. I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 06/17/18 at 18:00:57

To anyone who has these amps, do you have the stepped attenuators? If not, is it hard to balance the volume?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 06/17/18 at 18:08:57

Just my 2 cents from balancing with my "stepped" outputs on my CSP3 (they have ten steps but aren't true stepped attenuators).  I have to balance between steps since even steps don't give enough or give too much adjustment.  The stepped attenuators would seem like a good idea if everything (tubes, room, etc) are in balance but they might make perfect balance more difficult if you don't land on a step.  If that makes sense.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 06/17/18 at 20:16:21

The SE84UFO3 in either stock or Anniversary form I think come with stepped attenuators. I didn't ask for them this time and I received them and it wasn't marked as an additional charge. It's not an option in the shopping cart when you order.

I have stepped attenuators on these amps, on my Taboo Mk III, on my Torii Mk III, and on my ZBIT. (I don't have them on my ZTPRE, ZROCK2 or my CSP3 25th Anniversary arriving tomorrow). I honestly think there's a bit of clarity one gets from the stepped attenuator in comparison to the stock volume control. It's very subtle, but I have compared two otherwise identical models (CSP2+ and Torii Mk III that I had two of the only difference being the attenuators) and that was my impression. But it's not a game changer . . . . I have never had a problem with balancing the two channels with stepped attenuators in the amps or preamps, nor have I had a problem getting the right volume. Likewise I have no problem along those lines using the preamps or the ZROCK2.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 06/18/18 at 00:01:07

Thanks Archie and Lon for the input. I've never had much interest in stepped attenuators until now, considering the mono blocks. Gad to hear they are stock. Thinking it's time to pull the trigger on these amps Smiley

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 06/18/18 at 01:36:08

Steve would have the final word whether the stepped attenuators are stock on these amps--I believe they are, due to the fact that I received them with stepped attenuators and was not charged anything extra, and that there is no option for the stepped attenuator on the order page for the amplifiers.

I'm making an assumption. An email to Steve or a call to Steve or Sarah would be more "official". . . .

But I applaud your decision to order. These are wonderful amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 06/18/18 at 12:44:59

I posted this in the Review forum and an the Facebook page:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1529248494/0#0

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 06/20/18 at 19:24:52

Okay, if Joe weren't so busy with his new 25th Anniversary (prototype) amp and the DNA2 speakers I'm sure he'd be laughing at me.

I have kept the CSP3-25 running feeding headphones since Monday evening. This morning I had to get up early and head out to my Dad's and take him to an appointment and do a few tasks at his place and when I got back. . . I took one look at the system and decided to connect the preamp to the Monoblocks.

I have about 40 hours on the preamp or more, and I don't know how many hours Decware put on it in "Testing" and "Quality Control." I'm sure it will continue to sound better for a while. But. . . .

But it sure sounds really good right now and man I am digging the sound! I was worried that my DSD DAC to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to CSP3-25 to SE84UFO3-25s would be "too much" or add hum or . . . I don't know I was worried. I needn't have worried. I'm getting all the wonder of the ZTPRE and all the blossoming wonder of the CSP3-25 with the great benefit the ZROCK2 adds. And the 25th Anniversary "realism" is even more present.

I went from a year ago believing "no preamp is best' to now REVELING in the sound of two preamps! I just looked at the clock and thought "Oh no! I only have three more hours of uninterrupted listening today!" This is going to be the story of my life. . . dreading turning the system off. . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 06/22/18 at 14:24:29

Putting a 25th Anniversary Edition CSP3 in front of the Monoblocks has made a sit-up-and-notice-over-and-over-again improvement. And that may be the only exercise you'll engage in for some time, you'll be glued to your seat.

I managed to tear myself away to do a voltage regulation "shoot-off" yesterday and today. The Arcturus OB3 that I have won. At least for now. They are like holographic projectors in these Monoblocks with the CSP3.

I keep thinking "this disc is a real monster of a recording." And then I spin the next one and it draws me right in as well. I know why Steve is spending so much time listening and listening. His new theme song should be "It Could Happen to You." He wasn't entirely joking about the "you should get this setup when you retire" statement. You'll want to retire if you aren't. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 06/22/18 at 15:16:04

Have you compared the ZTPRE and the new CSP3?  Steve may have to figure out a mod for that too.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 06/22/18 at 15:54:12

I'm using both. The signal path is DAC or Oppo UDP-205 or Magnum Dynalab 90T SE into the ZTPRE via balanced input to the ZBIT to the ZROCK2 to the new CSP3, then to the Monoblocks.

If I weren't using three balanced sources I am pretty sure I would be getting excellent sound from the new CSP3 alone. But the ZTPRE makes everything better, i already know that, and is adding to the total "magic." I'm sure a 25th anniversary mod to the ZTPRE would be excellent, but it's an amazing preamp as it is and I really am not sure I'd mess with it for my needs.

I've got a lot of components in the signal chain and in the way that I thought last century this would have given me the willies. Instead I am having the deep jollies. . . And the ZTPRE may be why I am enjoying a noise-free hum-free experience with all those components in line. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 06/23/18 at 01:08:29

That's groundbreaking.  2 preamps in the chain!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 09/28/18 at 17:19:39

I finally ordered 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with glass resistors, real walnut bases, and walnut knobs. Can't wait!!!

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 09/28/18 at 17:44:47

Awesome! You'll be very happy with them!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #83 - 01/18/19 at 13:04:08

Well, since I last posted on this thread the Monoblocks have been seasoning and sounding better all the time. I wen from using both the CSP3-25 and the ZTPRE to just using the CSP3-25 and now just using the ZTPRE, which gives me full balanced input and output to my ZBIT for my three sources and great sound. And I have learned more fully how to adjust the gain on the entire system and maximize my headroom and get the frequency balance and dynamics I crave.

I've been rolling tubes and really find that the Amperex 7308 are not going anywhere, and neither are the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B. Lots of other complements possible, but I like those. And I've rolled output voltage regulation and these REALLY change the amp. I have fallen for the sound from 0D3W regulation tubes, and I have four "varieties" now: Tung-Sol, Raytheon, Sylvania and Chatham, and I prefer them in that order, though any and all work very well, with subtle, and not-so-subtle frequency balance changes the main differences.

These amps are amazing. I no longer have a Torii Mk III, sold them both, and don't miss them. These and my Taboo Mk III and Mk IV are the only ones I have left now, the Torii Mk II is also gone. Those Toriis are great amps, BUT I have fallen in love with the smaller output tubes and SET/SEP sound. (And even with my HR-1s I don't need more power at all). Just so immediate and also so immersive and involving.  I have my Taboo Mk IV at Decware now for 25th Anniversary upgrades. I have a feeling when it comes back I'll send in my Taboo Mk III for the same! These mods RULE.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 01/24/19 at 01:33:18

Status update: Final Listening Room Evaluation!

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 01/24/19 at 01:44:20

Good news!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 03/09/19 at 16:47:59

I now have about 40 hours or so on my new anniversary monoblocks and they are just killer. I can't wait to hear what more hours bring. I think very highly of the SE84UFO with copper foil caps and for the past three years would feel confident putting up against anything out there. However now experiencing what these anniversary mods bring to the table is just another league I was not aware of. The soundstage is huge in comparison. Wider deeper, taller. Notes are coming out in front of me. The older SE84UFO still sounds great but very flat in comparison.

These new amplifiers are a true listening pleasure and I'm so glad I have them. I get it now as to what folks on here have been referring to. Engaging to say the least.

Jim

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 03/09/19 at 19:23:41

I don't set up to favor sound staging but yes those aspects are improved with the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks. Sound that draws you in would be how I would best describe the effect they produce. Especially with vinyl I've never heard more realistic playback. . . sound just seems natural and "solid" while still being fleet and dynamic.

Steve is rightfully proud of these milestone 25th Anniversary amps.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 03/10/19 at 08:09:58

The sound definitely draws me in Smiley

I play a lot of vinyl as well and while it does sound outstanding I'll be sending in my ZP3 and ZSTAGE in for anniversary mods next week. I have a ZROCK2 with anniversary mods in testing currently.

I'm really looking forward to having all anniversary mods to pair up with the monoblocks!

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 03/10/19 at 09:47:41

Excellent. I will soon almost have an all Anniversary mod signal path for digital when my modded ZROCK2 arrives tomorrow--only the ZTPRE will not have available mods, and eventually I think it will. (I'm no longer using a ZP3 for my vinyl playback, at the moment I'm using a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, which sounds amazing paired with the ZTPRE).

The listening life is so good, which makes the rest of life automatically better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 04/16/19 at 18:40:34

I've had my 25th Anniversary Monoblocks for over a year now! Now the really good listening begins, I find that the years after the first the Decware amps really perform so very well and in tiny increments season in with a refined sound.

I've played around with tubes in my ZTPRE lately, and experimented for a while with tubes in the ZROCK2, but I'm locked in with the tubes I have in the Monoblocks--they just sound so good give me what I want.

Amazing amps! The Taboo Mk IV driving speakers made me ready to try the even smaller powered amps and I am so glad I did, I have ZERO temptation to go back to EL34/KT66 etc. type tubes and push pull design. I'm hoping I can have a few decades with my SE84UFO3-25s.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 07/11/19 at 14:39:56

I'm loving these amps. As they season in, and as I learn more how to feed them best, I am getting amazing sound with many tube complements. It's like owning a closet full of amps in important ways.

Lately I have been using a particular pair of military 6N6P that I thought I might well have paid too much for at first. They were too thin and vague sounding for my first experience in the mono block but after a few weeks of more than satisfactory use in the Taboo Mk IV-25 and CSP3-25 in the second system, they really opened up.

In my main system now they are creating quite an experience. The OB3 is the best voltage regulator for the output tubes for them, and a particular old pair of RCA the best of those on hand (I tried OA3, OD3, OD3W and OC3W as well, the OB3 has the best overall sound and texture). I could still use a bit more bass, and will tailor the system to that end in the next few days. In comparison to the 6N5Ps from Steve that I am using in the ZTPRE and was using in the mono blocks these 6N6P have the focus that the Amperex 7308 bring to the table, but not the slight veil of warmth, and they have the spacious dynamics that the 5814A that I use in the ZROCK2s has in comparison to other 12AU7s. A win win for excellent recordings, and working well for the mediocre and below recordings that serve as the bulk of my collection.

I'm glad I tried them, originally prompted by an email from Johnny Slate who posts here. I'm leaving them in for a while. . . .

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 07/11/19 at 16:49:27

This is great to hear Lon!  I'm going to have to revisit that tube in my 25thAnniv.   I have been stuck on a Valvo E288CC as the input and it's been so good that I havn't even had the thought to 'roll' in a long time.  And your right, with these current mods and the ZR2-25th..  there are so many unbelievably good tube combinations that it can make your head swim. Hope your well my friend!

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 07/11/19 at 17:19:10

All is well here Johnny. . . Those Valvos are very good. I have three of them in my CSP2+ with the 25th Anniversary mods and they work so well there I just leave them alone. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 07/11/19 at 20:12:08

I forgot to mention that I rolled through a few rectifiers again this week and landed back on the Aqua 274B. I so so WANT to love the Mullard GZ32 that so many use here . . . and these have some very appealing qualities and may come the closest to the Aquas with the right tube complement, but they are just too thick and rich in comparison, it's like Mullard Mrs. Butterworth "maple" syrup and the Aqua like real NE Ohio maple syrup. If the real stuff is in the house. . . you use it. These Aqua rectifiers still amaze me with their open clarity. I'm so glad others mentioned them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #95 - 07/12/19 at 14:55:22

Well, as Jeff and Scott have noted elsewhere on the forum it's hard to let sleeping dogs lie, and it never ends. . . .

In consolidating space (Lucy: "Do you really need all these tubes down here in this cabinet?" Me: "Yes, but they can be stored elsewhere.") I went through all my voltage regulation tubes and realized I had three pairs of OA3 tubes (some funky old RCA, a Westinghouse, and a GE) and as old RCAs have been working so well in the system lately I popped in the pair of RCA for the RCA OB3.

There was the last ounce of bass I was missing with a dribble of more treble grit than I wanted, so playing with the gain between source, preamp, ZBIT and amps. . . wow! Just great dynamic and clear sound with the frequency balance I was craving.

So I discovered yet another "amplifier" in my Monoblocks and will be enjoying this one I think for a while. (Let sleeping dogs lie Lon, let them lie! As I write this Fiona the dachshund is asleep next to me.)

I have two great systems right now, and the 25th Anniversary mods are making them be all they can be.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 05/03/20 at 18:07:46

hi guys

As I have written earlier I bought a standard CSP3 while my mono amps was being upgraded to 25th. When they came back i never tried them with source connected straight to them, I used the pre. Today I tried with source directly to the monos, and god-damn the difference from before upgrade was so obvius i couldnt really believe it. Its like two different amps. But it also sort of gave me dilemma. I bought the pre to enhance quality of sound, and to have two sources. The csp3 adds some hum (not noticeable except when ear to speaker, while the monos are dead quiet,. I might have an issue with settings on gain, and havent experimented a lot.
i might have to add the upgrades to the CSP3 in near future, but i am little worried the added link in the chain isnt optimal for best sound.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 05/03/20 at 18:45:11

The CSP3 can add a LOT of gain so source hum could be amplified.  Check out post #12 in this thread:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1557427190/0#12  It gives voltages versus knob settings.  Also, Steve mentions input voltage limitations for the CSP3.

I've always prefered what the CSP3 brings but I'm currently bypassing my ZROCK2 more and more -- something I didn't think I'd ever do.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #98 - 05/03/20 at 19:28:24

Jorgen,

Is there one of your sources in particular that the hum is an issue? (Phono for ex.), or is the hum present with all sources?

The reason I ask is, I just got a CSP3 myself, and it can magnify a phono related hum I already had a slight issue with - unless I tweak the gains on both the CPS3 and my SE84UFO.

I just learned after a few days of experimenting with the settings, that there is a definite difference in my settings going from phono to digital. I have the main volume and the outputs on the CSP3, and also my volume on my amp set 3 or 4 clicks higher when playing from a digital source. Switching to phono, with those same settings, the gain is too much, and brings my hum front and center. I have to turn all settings down some, until the hum is barely audible, again on both the amp and the CSP3, and then the sound is perfect.

I hope this helps. If not, the standard check of cable routing and component location/proximity is next.

Good luck. A hum issue can be the most aggravating thing about this hobby!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 05/03/20 at 21:36:39

archie: Thanks for pointing me to the post. I knew i had read about this somewhere and havent found it back. I live in a 240v area, will this change anything?

I wrote about a hum, but by all means its not like a problem-problem, and I should say that its not caused by my source. It seems to come from the pre-amp itself.

About gain setting:
When I dont use the pre, max volume I can use on the monos are 1 or 2 oclock position, so I sort of landed on that as a "fixed" setting when adding pre to the chain, should this rather be set to max? Should I set the gainlevel so that i can turn to max on the mastervolume control?

Im more "concerned" that the pre-amp is a "vial" for the detail and transparency im getting without the pre. And i wanted to express that the upgrade really is a difference, and more so than i realised using the pre-amp.

I use a ZP3 and a Auralic Vega dac as source

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print