Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 17:27:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oppo Digital Farewell (Read 10365 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Oppo Digital Farewell
04/07/18 at 02:19:01

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: Oppo Digital Farewell
Reply #1 - 04/07/18 at 02:28:23

WOW !!!
Now, that's a shock.
Maybe my head has been buried in the sand, but I haven't heard any rumors that would lead to this.

I though Oppo was pretty solid. Goes to show I was mistaken.

Cheers,                    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/07/18 at 11:30:35

Oppo is still making millions of millions of cell phones and selling the hell out of them. Just stepping out of audio components.

I hope someone takes over making their transports. . . that's the biggest loss for the future of the disc spinning world.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/18 at 13:32:07

I didn't realize Oppo was as one of the top 4/5 phone manufacturers in China...sounds like their strategy is driving market penetration in rural areas that don't have access to internet...

The future of the disc spinning world looks a little grim...
-Streaming accounted for ~80% of all sales
-Vinyl, while a growing segment, is still small overall ~5%

-Which leaves shiny discs with about ~15% of the market.  I suspect the disc market will continue to decline to current vinyl levels or below (until cds become "cool" again).

http://www.newsweek.com/how-cds-have-been-supplanted-music-streaming-588819

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/18 at 14:05:02

Unlike vinyl, there was never anything cool about CDs.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 14:13:41

IMO that's just not true. Very cool tech,

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #6 - 04/07/18 at 14:23:28

Bummer!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/07/18 at 14:37:01

This does not bode well for some manufacturers who use the Oppo transport mechanism in their products! P S Audio, for example, uses them in their $6000 Memory Player. Oppo's 103D is integral to my TV and Tidal services. I agree, bummer!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/07/18 at 15:09:45

I thought cd's were pretty cool when they came out (I was just a kid at the time and my biggest inconvenience was skipping between songs on cassette tapes), but CD's are just another way to deliver music digitally and in the current era of seemingly infinite digital storage space and fast internet speeds, just don't make sense as a delivery format.

I didn't really grow up with vinyl, but somehow ended up as a house music dj in college that mixed vinyl on 2 Technics 1200 mkii turntables and Rane/Pioneer mixers.  You couldn't get electronic house music on any other format.  Vinyl was it.  Today seems like it's 100% digital downloads from the likes of www.beatport.com.  IMO, for djing, there is nothing cooler than spinning vinyl.

I had a blast in the Zu Audio room at Axpona a few years back spinning vinyl.   They had a Neve mixer they were running 2 turntables through, which was pretty cool, and they let show goers jump behind their equipment and play music, which was even cooler.  I think I spun records for over 2 hours.

The future of analog vs. digital is, vinyl vs. streaming.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/07/18 at 15:38:12

I grew up with vinyl. CDs are the coolest for me--just the right length, I can keep them clean and error free, sound can be excellent. Convenience and longevity is cool for me.

Streaming has even overtaken downloads. Streaming is NOT the direction I want to go and I won't have to, I have tens of thousands of cds and a number of disc players, enough to last my life. So maybe CD isn't cool, but it's still cool as beans for me and my preferred format.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 04/07/18 at 16:07:23

Verbatim for me too, Lon (though, I don't have the library of CD's you have Smiley).

All due respect though, to the Tidal Streamer's and Hard Drive access storage audiophiles.

PS~I do enjoy Serius/XM stereo radio through my rock concert in a box XPA-2 & POLK SRS SDA 1.2 Speaker's. Employing PAC-S's from the HD/DVR. ....so, Streaming I guess of limited radio content-but I enjoy it.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #11 - 04/07/18 at 16:12:00

I remember when it came out, I was pretty stoked.
I grew up with vinyl and cd was a mini version, it still had the insert with the album art and the words to the songs so I could stay connected to and focus on the music, and it was cheaper to get good sound than with vinyl. Still prefer my vinyl today but like Lon I have tons of CD's and enjoy them immensely.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/07/18 at 17:04:20

To each their own.  

I still have a decent collection of cd's and vinyl (and am still collecting albums for my son).  Lately I have been playing cd's on my Oppo BDP-93 -->SuperZen-->ERRx's and getting fabulous sound.  

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #13 - 04/14/18 at 05:26:26

Oppo will be missed. I owned 3 and was ready to make the 4th their 4K, bummer. Follow the money regarding 4K tv and you will see that disc sales are not at the point that dvd or even bluray was. The older generations with cash get tired of re buying every format change. Besides it took the industry what 6 years of fighting back and forth before releasing 4K players in the meantime giving streaming the foothold to the younger consumers so goes the fault of the industry. There are however many good audio only players in a huge variety of price points to meet the needs of us disc owners.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 04/16/18 at 21:04:53

Jeff summed it up well. Bandwidth and Streaming kind of caught up with physical media, and people these days want instant gratification.

And yeah, I probably have 4 different copies of The Princess Bride on various formats, and damnit I'm not going to buy another!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Vincent
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 04/16/18 at 22:21:01

Truly sad news. Possibility that used Oppo players will increase in value?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 04/17/18 at 03:30:42

Only if they offered something that some other brand doesn't. I don't really see them going up in value.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print