Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 17:11:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DID I PICK THE RIGHT AMP..?? I NEED CONFORMATION ! (Read 6602 times)
Delta 77

DID I PICK THE RIGHT AMP..?? I NEED CONFORMATION !
04/06/18 at 17:47:30

DID I PICK THE RIGHT AMP..?? I NEED CONFORMATION !!
I was looking at getting a pair of the SE84UFO3 with the 25th anniversary mod...  But was afraid of only having 2 watts.? So I ordered the (TORII MK4)..
My system will be..
OPPO - 205  (ballanced out)
Decware - ZBIT
Decware - CSP3
Decware - TORI mk4
Tekton - Seas Pendragon's & Cinema sub
(upgrade to the DOUBLE IMPACT  possibly next year)
All Decware - Interconnects
All Cullincable - Power & Speaker Cables

Would any of you more experinced members get the  (SE84UFO3) over  the  (TORI mk4 )for my system..???

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: DID I PICK THE RIGHT AMP..?? I NEED CONFORMATION !
Reply #1 - 04/06/18 at 21:55:29

I think you picked the right amp. Everyone has their preference but that does not mean your decision is wrong. You can always get another amp later. How big is your listening room?

IP Logged
dvl

Reply #2 - 04/06/18 at 23:33:23

i think you did just fine.

i had a Torii Jr. for a little over a year, and then i added a 2 watt Zen for a period of time. i loved both amps. They did very different things, but i loved them both. The only reason i sold the Zen was because i came across a good deal on a new phono amp and i needed to raise some cash. Otherwise i would have kept both. But, i had to choose which one to give up. i chose to keep the 20 watt Jr. because it was the more flexible amp. With 2 watts you are limited, no question about it. With the Torii Mk. IV you will be able to go in a lot of different directions if you so choose, and from what i've read, it's a great amp. Just enjoy what it does, i'm sure you will not be disappointed.

dvl

IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #3 - 04/06/18 at 23:44:41

It's the living room, ( TV entertainment center )
Roughly 15" wide, 20" long, and 17' high ceiling..
speakers are 95db ( double 8" cones , triple tweeter array )..

Will need to be used with the Television as well.. So I may need the extra watts for the lower RCA signal level. ( TV )...

I don't think the SE84UFO3 , would be powerful enough for all around use..
Even though they are my " Most Wanted" as of right now..!!!
Thanks BURT...

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/18 at 14:20:56

I a using a Torii MK IV for (among other things) my television audio. Unfortunately the new TVs lack RCA audio outputs. So I had to run the optical digital output signal through a cheap D/A converter into the MK IV.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 04/07/18 at 17:48:55

If you are eventually moving to the Tekton Double Impacts, then you absolutely made the right decision and based on what Stone of Tone reported on the Tekton’s he auditioned, their actual efficiency is a bit less than what is advertised.  So, it seems the Torii MKIV was the right choice.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #6 - 04/16/18 at 22:20:06

I had the same issue with trying to decide if a pair of SE84UFO's would provide enough power.

I originally ordered one SE84UFO and a CSP3, but changed it a week later to the Torii MKlV.

Although i can't give you a comparison, i am VERY happy with the Torii MKlV and have absolutely no desire to change.

My previous integrated amps were a Nakamichi AV-10 and a brief stint with a loaner Jolida amp (which sounded better than the Nak) but both were quite bright paired with my Pendragon's, but the Torii completely tamed the brightness.

I would guess i have about 400-450 hrs on the Torii and i can't imagine it getting better, but have been told it will continue to blossom.

Both the Pendragon's and Oppo Sonica have about 600 hrs on them, but my Analysis Plus speaker and IC's only have about 75-80 hrs.

For what it's worth, I was a little bit of a skeptic but now am a FIRM believer that quality cables make a HUGE difference.  I have read a lot of other forums where terms like "snake oil" were tossed around when referring to cables, and many said that cables made no difference in their system. While that may be true in their systems, it was not true in my system with the Torii.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #7 - 04/17/18 at 00:58:06

"For what it's worth, I was a little bit of a skeptic but now am a FIRM believer that quality cables make a HUGE difference.  I have read a lot of other forums where terms like "snake oil" were tossed around when referring to cables, and many said that cables made no difference in their system. While that may be true in their systems, it was not true in my system with the Torii."

Also true on the digital input side. For those with a DAC, all you have to do is take a standard computer USB cable from Best Buy and stick it in your system. Results? Thin and lean. Then put in a higher grade USB cable and notice the difference....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 04/17/18 at 03:41:33

Quote:
Also true on the digital input side. For those with a DAC, all you have to do is take a standard computer USB cable from Best Buy and stick it in your system. Results? Thin and lean. Then put in a higher grade USB cable and notice the difference....

We did a listening session with a friend of mine who is very heavily science based, and wouldn't believe that digital cables made a difference. During the meet we swapped a $35 optical cable for a $100+ cable for one that I think was several hundred dollars (maybe even close to $1000 I don't recall), and we all clearly heard a difference. In fact, the most expensive cable had an apparent VOLUME difference, all things being equal, blind testing etc. It took me a long while to realize how much Jitter made a difference, but at the time it was only proof that we really didn't understand all the details/measurements that could make a difference.

As to the OPs question, yeah, I think you did fine - that's a great amp. I personally chose the Mystery amp over the MK4, but that's just taste - I don't think one is flat out better, just different. Hell, even with my Mystery amp, I'm finding myself listening to my 2 watt Zen a lot just because it does something the big amp can't!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #9 - 04/25/21 at 16:57:36

free fast internet

Picture upload test..!!

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2