Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:35:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Volume loss at warm up. (Read 7913 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Volume loss at warm up.
03/21/18 at 16:01:17

I noticed something odd last night.  I powered up my audio chain:  TT-ZMC1-ZP3-CSP3-ZROCK2-ZMA-HR1 and immediately started listening to music.  About 1/3 way through the first side, I noticed a loss of volume equivalent to one or two clicks of the CSP3 outputs.  I then bypassed the CSP3 and ZROCK2 but other than a loss of density, the volume stayed the same.  So, these two components don't seem to be the issue.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?  I'm thinking it might be tube related but it happened on both channels.  My sound quality wasn't affected.  I think I've been having this for a while but I've never caught the moment before, I just had a sense that things weren't as loud as when I started listening.

Any suggestions before I start swapping tubes?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Volume loss at warm up.
Reply #1 - 03/21/18 at 17:54:35

Puzzling. . . . In someways this is similar to how my Taboo Mk IV seems pre-warm up and warmed up. It's thicker and richer and slower for the first half hour to hour and then opens up and blooms and can seem a bit louder as a result, though it's not, it's just more dynamic and quick. But you would be noticing that in your amp for some time and it wouldn't be something that starts happening. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/18 at 18:21:11

Unlike your Taboo getting louder with warm up, I lost volume.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Russian 6N5P tubes I recently started using.  I'll be listening more closely going forward.  To me it makes sense that it has to do with heating of something either in the ZP3 or the ZMA.  I haven't changed the ZP3 tubes recently so my guess is the ZMA.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/21/18 at 18:33:19

Actually I just wrote my post wrong, it appears less loud warmed up because it opens up and becomes less "compressed sounding."

It may be that tube. I bought 8 and so far have used one a few weeks in the Taboo Mk III with headphone use, and I put that tube in the Taboo Mk IV and listened via speakers yesterday. . . and took it out today. Just a bit too crisp for my system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/18 at 18:43:25

If that tube, then would it just be a characteristic of that tube or a faulty tube?  Maybe Steve would know?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/21/18 at 19:10:49

Likely a fault in that tube if it is the tube. . . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/18 at 23:56:51

Lon, I asked Steve and here is his reply:

Quote:
It is characteristic of a tube that tests bad to work momentarily until it warms up, so my money is on a tube.  Probably one in the phono stage.

Steve

So, good call.  I'll check these tubes first since they were NOS at best.  It's always a tube!  Except, when it's not.   Huh

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/22/18 at 00:36:35

Steve knows. . . let us know what you discover.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #8 - 03/22/18 at 18:07:12

I had a JJ 6CA7 in my Torii that exhibited very similar symptoms.  It didn't sound "bad", it appeared to be lit up the same as the others, it just had less gain/volume from the channel it was in after the amp had been on awhile.  This symptom gradually became worse.  Since there are two of these tubes in each push-pull channel of a Torii, I didn't have a way to tell which one of the pair - I don't have a tube tester.  The way I figured out which one was bad, was with an infrared temperature thermometer gun (cheapy from Harbor Freight works great)... powered up and running 3 of the 6CA7's were within 20 degrees of each other, and one was a 100 degrees cooler... that was the bad tube.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/22/18 at 19:50:42

Maddog, that's interesting.  Now I'm wondering about my output tubes on the ZMA.  I have the meters though and they are still rock solid.  I'll have to watch at startup to see if one lags.

I've changed some tubes in my ZP3 but so far I haven't found the culprit.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/23/18 at 16:42:26

I've changed all the tubes in the ZP3 and I'm still getting the volume drop.  I even turned of the ZMA for an hour or two while leaving everything else on but when powered up and warmed up the volume remained constant.  I've got a couple more tests to try but so far, I'm still perplexed.  Next, I'll play a CD and leave the ZP3 off.  If I don't get a volume drop then that should narrow it down to the ZP3, even if it's not a tube.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/24/18 at 18:07:18

After changing every tube in my ZP3 and CSP3 with no apparent effect on the volume loss, I changed the output tubes on the ZMA and I think I may have found the culprit.  While the bias of the existing outputs remained rock solid, when I switched tubes, the left channel was WAY off whereas the right channel was almost spot on.  So, my preliminary conclusion is that one or both of the left channel tubes were getting tired.  I'll see if this is in fact correct over the next few days.  In the meantime, does anyone have a lightly used quad of 6P3Ss that they tried but want to sell?  A quad from Cryoset would be prefered.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/25/18 at 18:40:09

Okay, I finally figured this out.  First, I must have had a brain cramp when I first "isolated out" the CSP3 and ZR2.  In fact, I had only taken the ZR2 out of the chain.  It turns out that I'm having CSP3 issues.  It has something to do with the headphone jacks since the loss of volume is exactly the same as the loss when headphones are plugged in and the speakers are left playing.  I noticed, months ago, an issue with my left channel with headphones but I ignored it since headphones are never used.  I had also noticed an occasional crackle at start up in the left channel speaker but I attributed this to a tube.  I'm now convinced that this is not a tube issue but rather something inside the CSP3.  I'll likely be sending it in for service.  In the meantime, I'm running direct from the ZP3 into the ZR2 into the ZMA and I don't miss the CSP3 at all -- the ZR2 gives so much weight on it's own.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print